Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Christmas breakfast
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Christmas breakfast Reply with quote

Christmas dinners tend to be bound by tradition but Christmas breakfasts are all your own...out of curiosity (and in need of inspiration), what do you serve up to your family the morning of Christmas day?
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a very simple breakfast around 10AM while opening presents. Peach bellini, panettone, coffee.

I have found a non alcohol sparkling wine (Edenvale from South Australia) which I'll be using this year for the bellinis.

We have our main meal around 2PM and if anyone is hungry for dinner it is help yourself to left overs.[/url]
Alana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of no-alcoholic bellinis! How would you put them together?

One year I made a stollen. I'd candied the peel myself and woke up extra early to knead it all together...and most of it was fed to our rabbit! There are still some photos of it, it's quite monstrously huge.

Other years it's just been remains of the chocolate box and some bread and the cheeses and stuff, but I wanted to put together somethig more structured this year, since it's my first Christmas since moving out of the family home!
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alana wrote:
I love the idea of no-alcoholic bellinis! How would you put them together?

Just pureed peach in tall glass and top with non alcoholic Sparkling Wine like Edenvale Cuvee.
georgia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, but Christmas arrives in summer in Australia...with, I assume, fresh peaches. Would frozen peaches would do as well? (Does Australia grow peaches? If not, from where do you import them?) Barbara, your Christmas breakfast suits this household as well. With all small people now gone, our morning is usually quiet, gearing up for the full house to follow.

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Good Solstice, happy holidays, everyone.
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Georgia we are in summer right now and peaches are in season. I imagine frozen would work. I've seen the drink made with puree rockmelon but haven't tried it.
melinda

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we always have the old saussage & egg casserole....the one time a yr we eat that kind of saussage (i buy jimmy dean's hot) and do the old egg & cheese mixture with a bottom layer of bread, and my hubby likes me to add green chilies to the eggs.......and some cut up fruit, maybe mimosas,

i like it cause casserole can be done ahead....there's also a good overnight french toast casserole that's very sweet....involves cream cheese & strawberry preserves
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really don't do the holidays, as such. With the kids grown and gone I don't see much point to it.

A sort of tradition, for us, was creamed chipped beef on home-made waffles. After the kids had opened their presents we'd all need recharging, and that seemed to do the trick.

We'll have that again, this year. We're strange, in that we actually like creamed chip beef---especially my version of it. And who can say "no" to waffles?
Alana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KYHeirloomer, I've never heard of creamed chip beef - what IS it?
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a staple of the U.S. military, Alana.

The beef component consists of thin slices of salted and dried beef (actually, it's pressed, but that's a minor point). The meat is first soaked, to remove much of the salt, then mixed in a sawmill-type cream gravy.

Traditionally it's served on hot toast points. But there are all sorts of serving methods. A really nice one is to use the creamed chipped beef as a topping for a baked potato.

"Chipped" beef used to be much more common than it is, because it was popular for other dishes as well. For instance, a dip or spread can be made by chopping the beef and mixing it with cream cheese.

It's getting harder and harder to find, alas. If your market carries it, it's most likely in the same section as canned meats and fish.
dory

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father has always been very fond of creamed chipped beef. I occasionally make it for him. It is one of those dishes that was popular in the 30s and 40s-- in times of shortage. He still likes it because it reminds him of his childhood.

Dory
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't hold me to this, Dory, cuz I might be misrecalling. But if memory serves, chipped beef was one of the few proteins that was not rationed during the war, so more of it was used.

It's odd your father feels that way. Most people shy away from foods that remind them of deprivation and hardship. I have dear friends, for instance, who won't eat venison because they were so poor that game was all they had to eat growing up. Doesn't have anything to do with taste. They just don't want to be reminded of those days.
Snowy Owl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that Christmas has come and gone but my kids thought I went a bit overboard - but it was a brunch - and in my defence I knew the kids would be travelling to their respective in-laws for turkey and all the trimmings so I made the following -

Smoke Salmon Frittatta, Roasted Red Pepper soup with parmesan tuiles, Spicy Sausages in a Parmesan and I can`t remember the other cheese, Seafood Crepes, Prime Rib of Beef with horseradish, Vegetarian lasagna, Strawberry and Spinach Salad, Orange and Onion Salad, Chicken and Broccoli Braid and a Chocolate Birthday Cake for Jesus ... the grandkids like that one!

Now my husband helped me out quite a bit, we have a natural gas bbq that we used for the beef and to re-heat the lasagnas and then everything else fit in the oven ...

The funniest part was that even though there were 25 people here I would say that many many of them were very happy to have a bit of leftovers ....
David

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Snowy Owl, if you ever open a restaurant and serve brunch in this town, I'll be first in line! Wow--that was one ambitious Christmas morning!
Snowy Owl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes David ... it was ambitious but it was Brunch - which means that a key part or should I say - the cook's treat .... was sitting in the front of the fireplace, brandy in hand, listening to the dishwasher clean up the remainder of the dishes after everyone had gone home!

Pure bliss .........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: