Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Food Markets in Paris -- Any recommendations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
creampuff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Food Markets in Paris -- Any recommendations? Reply with quote

I am planning to visit Paris 5/1-5/8 and want to experience as many of the food markets as I can. Any tips, recommendations or suggestions as to which ones are best, most special, most unusual, etc?
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Creampuff! (lovely nickname!)
My personal favorite is the marché des Batignolles, an all-organic market outside the Rome metro station in the 17th on Saturday mornings, because the selection is great, the merchants are friendly, and it's close to where I live!
If you understand a little French, check out the Mairie's website, it lists all of the markets: http://www.paris.fr/fr/marches/default.ASP
Hope this helps!
Clotilde.
wnissen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Quick question Reply with quote

Hello All,

I have a question about the opening hours of these markets. Are they really selling produce all week, or just on certain days? From the website it seems like most of the markets are open several days a week, but for some reason I thought the produce was only sold from, say, 7:00 to 12:00 on Saturdays.

Walt
creampuff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Market times:
As part of my continuing research on this topic, I found this web site with market times listed: http://www.bonjourparis.com/pages/paris_markets.php

I have cut and pasted the info below.
Hope this helps answer the timing issue at least! I'm still looking for recommendations as to which ones to hit, as much as I'd like to I don't think I can do them all!!!!

Creampuff

Food Markets
Food markets usually start between 7am and 8am and tail off around 1pm. Details of locations and days of operation are given below. The covered markets have specific opening hours, which are also detailed below.

1st Arrondisement
Montorgueil Rue Montorgueil & rue Montmartre, 1er. Mº Châtelet-Les Halles & Mº Sentier. Tues-Sat 8am-1pm & 4pm-7pm, Sun 9am-1pm.

3rd Arrondisement
Enfants-Rouges 39 rue de Bretagne, 3e. Mº Filles-du-Calvaire. Tues-Sat 8am-1pm & 4-7pm, Sun 9am-1pm.

5th Arrondisement
Carmes Place Maubert, 5e. Mº Maubert-Mutualité. Tues, Thurs & Sat.
Monge Place Monge, 5e. Mº Monge. Wed, Fri & Sun.
Mouffetard Rue Mouffetard, 5e. Mº Censier-Daubenton. Tues-Sun.
Port-Royal Bd Port-Royal, nr Val-de-Grâce, 5e. RER Port-Royal. Tues, Thurs & Sat.

6th Arrondisement
Buci Rue de Buci & rue de Seine, 6e. Mº Mabillon. Tues-Sun.
Raspail Bd Raspail, between rue du Cherche-Midi & rue de Rennes, 6e. Mº Rennes. Tues & Fri. Organic on Sun.
Saint-Germain rue Mabillon, 6e. Mº Mabillon. Tues-Sat 8am-1pm & 4-7.30pm, Sun 8am-1pm

7th Arrondisement
Rue Cler 7e. MºÉcole-Militaire. Tues-Sat.

10th Arrondisement
Porte-St-Martin Rue du Château-d'Eau, 10e. Mº Château-d'Eau. Tues-Sat 8am-1pm & 4-7.30pm, Sun 8am-1pm.

12th Arrondisement
Place d'Aligre 12e. Mº Ledru-Rollin. Tues-Sun until 1pm.

13th Arrondisement
Tang Frères 48 av d'Ivry, 13e. Mº Porte-d'Ivry. Tues-Sun 9am-7.30pm. Not really a market, but a vast emporium of all things oriental.

14th Arrondisement
Edgar-Quinet Bd Edgar-Quinet, 14e. Mº Edgar-Quinet. Wed & Sat.

15th Arrondisement
Convention Rue de la Convention, 15e. Mº Convention. Tues, Thurs & Sun.

16th Arrondisement
Rue de Lévis 17e. Mº Villiers. Tues-Sun.
Ternes Rue Lemercier, 17e. Mº Ternes. Tues-Sat 8am-1pm & 4-7.30pm, Sun 8am-1pm.

18th Arrondisement
Dejean Place du Château-Rouge, 18e. Mº Château-Rouge. Tues-Sun.
Rue du Poteau 18e. Mº Jules-Joffrin. Tues-Sat.

19th Arrondisement
Secrétan av Secrétan/rue Riquet, 19e. Mº Bolivar. Tues-Sat 8am-1pm & 4-7.30pm, Sun 8am-1pm.

20th Arrondisement
Belleville Bd de Belleville, 20e. Mº Belleville & Mº Ménilmontant. Tues & Fri.
wnissen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creampuff:

Perfect, that is exactly what I'm looking for. For some reason all I could find were the general hours, and while the flea-market scene is fun, it doesn't fill my belly! Thanks much.

Walt

P. S. I did find a nice little page on Gayot that describes the character of a few markets, with pictures.
Alisa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to Clotilde's suggestion, which I would head! If you have the time, find and buy "Paris in A Basket" by Nicolle Aimee Meyer & Amanda Pilar Smith. It is in english (and I believe that it has been translated into other languages). I love this book, and refer to it often. Descriptions, history, times, days, locations, stories, photographs and so much more, of each market, par arrondisment, and in being what it is, it is a unconventional and wonderful guide to the city. I had this book before I moved here, and loved reading it, even before I "used" it as a guide.
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Markets in Paris Reply with quote

Creampuff:
I just want to add my favorite market - The President Wilson, on Avenue President Wilson from Place d'Iena to almost at Avenue Marceau on the 16th arrondisement, Wednesdays and Saturdays. I highly recommend this one.
The others I like is Rue Cler in the 7th , rue de Buci/rue de Seine in the 6th and Edgar Quinet in the 14th.
I will be in Paris May 16 so you would have left by that time. I will visit these markets and think of you!
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Paris Markets Reply with quote

Bonjour, Clotilde!

Thank you for recommending your favorite - marché des Batignolles -. I am always on the lookout for new places I haven't been to. I will surely make sure I get to shop there during my May trip.

I just discovered C&Z website through the San Francisco Chronicle and what an enjoyable experience. I look forward to your entries and the recipes.

Merci! Very Happy
creampuff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. I had actually just bought Paris in a Basket on sale at a local bookstore when I got the recommendation. It is a beautiful book, but way too heavy to lug around Paris. The reference section in the back with locations and dates for all the markets is invaluable. (I'll just xerox that and bring the list with me.) The photos are awe inspiring.

The Gayot site was a great tip. I especially liked their Paris tourist info.

I am still interested in C&Z member market recommendations as well as any other suggestions for my visit.

Again, thanks.
wnissen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my copy of Paris in a Basket. It's out of print, but I ordered from a Barnes and Noble affiliated merchant and paid $16 delivered. A very good guide to the best markets and the pictures are to die for. One note is that it's not a comprehensive guide. The authors pick one market in each arrondissement and profile it in detail, specifically focusing on open-air, non-permanent markets. If you're interested in a market that's not the featured market, there is a brief description of a few paragraphs, sometimes not even describing the specialties of the market. Opening hours, locations, and a star rating for all 62 markets are included, which will be very handy. Why traditional guidebooks don't include this information is beyond me. There's also a picture glossary of various cheeses, fish, and produce, with French translation. I agree that it's far too heavy to use as a guidebook (think modest-sized coffee-table book) but I will definitely take the practical information with me in a photocopy.

Walt
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite markets is Place Monge in the 5th. It's big, especially on Sundays and everyone there is very friendly. There's also a ton of choices.
On Sunday mornings in the 7th, there's an organic market in Blvd. Raspail (right in front of the Hotel Lutecia) that's nice as well. A huge selection of organic foods.
And, for Saturday nights when you forgot to buy fresh fish or veggies, there's Marche des Enfants Rouges.

In terms of books, Patricia Wells' Food Lovers' Guide to Paris is wonderful.
David

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received my copy of Pair In A Basket from a remainder house, still in it's cellophane wrap. Gorgeous book! Nice recipes---can't believe they let this gem go out of print!
creampuff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Another resource for Paris Market info Reply with quote

In my continuing research on this topic, I found that the city of Paris website has english language info on the food markets by district.
The web address is www.paris.fr
Select the English version from the bar at the top right.
Market info (including speciality markets) with locations, days, hours and metro stops are listed under the Living In Paris section at the bottom of the page.
creampuff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI Lonely Planet's book on French food includes a diagram of the Bastille market and brief descriptions of a few of the others of note in Paris.
swan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in Paris two weeks ago, the very kind and cute older man who sold wonderful olive oil in 'le Printemps'(ofcourse I bought a blottle and found it hard to resist the wonderful balsamic he had as well) said that the Bastille market was his favourite (unfortunately he told me that on saterday, around 2 pm, which is when the market starts to break up Smile.

A few days later in the proximity of the statue of liberty and the radio buildings I accidentily found a cute small neighbourhood market, which I found very charming and full of beautiful fish and veggies as well....so...just walk around and you'll never know what you'll find around the corner!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: