Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

What are you currently reading?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While he's on the rifle range!!! lol
georgia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KYH, the point in this case is that the readers who responded with a non-professional review felt that the first novel was better (whatever that means...more interesting, better written, etc.) than the more recently released work. They liked Sample A and therefore expected more of the same from Sample B. Not dumb. Just disappointment. If a friend told you he liked novel #1 better than novel #2 by the same author, you'd pay attention, probably, if it were someone whose opinion you trusted and valued. You once suggested that someone here not "get your panties in a knot". Right back atcha.

I solicit opinions from the C&Z contributors because I find this an intelligent, articulate bunch. My leisure time for reading is at a premium, so I try to be careful before embarking on a reading journey that will eventually disappoint me. Not to say that I'm always successful...but I try. I take their opinions, along with everyone else's, with a grain of salt and then make my own decisions. But it's nice to have the input.

What does this have to do with term papers?
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you, Georgia.

At the TV recording of First Tuesday Book Club today, Ian McEwan's upcoming 'Solar' was discussed. No one was all that impressed although they all agreed that parts of it were funny and clever and the characters were interesting. Sarah Waters (more on her in a minute for you, David) stated that she expected more from Mr McEwan, having read and enjoyed some of his other books. I figure that if another author has expectations (and accepts that her readers would have similar expectations of her books), then we mere readers are allowed to as well.

I haven't read either of Kostova's books. But next on my TBR list is Markus Zusak's The Book Thief. Anyone read it?

David, I felt a kindred spirit in Ms Waters. She and I were both dressed in our blue jeans and Birkenstocks.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
David

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Judy, smart AND practical! I like that!!

I've heard Sarah interviewed on CBC a few times and find her totally engaging. Further I'll never forget the twist she threw her readers in Fingersmith!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, that military book should come in handy when you move to Prince David Peninsula. The inhabitants will most likely look to you for leadership, and it'll help keep the "rich Toronto crowd" in line, don't you think?
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy, Birkenstocks! I haven't thought about them in years--I'm afraid running shoes (with Velcro closures Embarassed ) have spoiled me. Are we talking about the classic clogs, or the sandals?
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KYH-- I don't see how anybody could get through a day without constantly comparing one thing to another and picking which is better...from deciding which pair of socks to put on to what time to go to bed. It's not "dumb", it's logical, human, unavoidable, necessary. Your whole life is making choices, one after another, each based on what came before.

Who hasn't said about a restaurant "it used to be better", or about their garden "you should have seen it last year." If an author's work has improved, or fallen off in your opinion, you'd naturally mention that to your friend who asks about a certain book.. both to express your own feeling of disappointment and to steer your friend toward a good experience.
It seems to me you'd be remiss if you didn't.
David

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee hee, yeah gingerpale! Will you sign up to join my militia? Please!!
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But next on my TBR list is Markus Zusak's The Book Thief. Anyone read it?

Judy I read it and loved it. In fact at the end it literally moved me to tears... sigh, I'm turning into a softy in my old age!! I'm slowly reading and enjoying Jonathan Swift's Tale of a Tub. But I'm going to start reading The Reader after it.

I like what I've read of Sarah Waters too.

Quote:
To me this is like saying we shouldn't read "Anthony & Cleopatra" because it doesn't live up to "Hamlet." Ridiculous!

Well I am definitely in favour of Hamlet over Tony and Cleo. Much though I do love Shakespeare a lot, Hamlet's my favourite ever of his. Not to say that I don't like Tony and Cleo, but I prefer Hamlet. Of course, I am assuming you mean the ones by William and not the rather terrible Hamlet and Anthony and Cleopatra by Zeppo Shakespeare the least famous of the Shakespeare siblings...Wink

Kostova's The Historian I rather liked, it took it's time rather pleasantly getting to the meat of the story and then it took off!!

I would recommend getting it from the library and reading it. If you love it that much go ahead and buy it.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh David--joining a militia--I'd first have to check to see if soldiering has any downside. Rolling Eyes

You must be learning a whole new vocabulary and set of ideas and lots of geography!

re your Prince Peninsula Platoon--how's the food?
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if soldiering has any downside.

It definitely has a downside. People keep shooting at you!... and they mean it too! I suggest throwing boxes of chocs at the 'enemy'. Before long they will be confused and your friends. Not a shot fired. Much better... then you can discuss books, which is much more civilised.

Tho' joining David's militia would probably involve books and food and no shooting at anyone... where do I sign?!
David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and much wine tasting Griffin! Much!!!

gingerpale--haven't made the move yet, still have to sell my grand ol' house and figure out a way of getting out of my commercial lease for the bookstore. May mean a longer wait to escape than hoped but all in good time.

Back to Prachett---my guy bought me Guards! Guards! on your recommendation and The Thief Of Time on his own!

But I'm reading Dan Brown's latest thriller The Lost Symbol and yeah, the guy is a hack writer when it comes to style but my oh my he does know how to get one's blood racing!
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Guards! Guards! is my favourite Pratchett!! A wonderful take on the Raymond Chandler books and at the same time, typically Pratchett. I keep wanting to say, 'Guards! Seize him!' and have them look at me worried while saying, 'But, but there's only one of him.'

The aristocrats are so typically British too in a way only Pratchett can get them. They don't make 'em like that any more - very Margaret Rutherford and barely Sienna Miller!

Shhh, actually I don't think Tolkien is all that good a writer either, but he does know how to tell a tale. Surely you already have someone to get your blood racing?!

Much wine tasting is definitely good. I'm joining up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40
Page 40 of 40

Jump to: