Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Making a decent scone
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had quite a discussion about 'Lemonade Scones' a couple of years ago and everything you ever wanted (or didn't want) to know about the 3 main ingredients - lemonade, flour and cream - was discussed.

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=241&highlight=lemonade+scones

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jude's short AND long term memories are in tip top condition methinks Wink
swan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, thanks , I was wondering about that lemonade, while reading through all the goodies. Funny we don't have any scone-skon-skone tradition here in Holland. I only know them from afternoon of high tea in London, or elsewhere in brittain, with clotted cream and strawberryjam...yum. Why-oh-why did I just start a diet?!?!?
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh swan dear...scones aren't in that realm of diet foods...they are like pearls...or rainbows...or birdsong...or a page turner...or Boston Legal...simply things in life to be enjoyed in the moment...

when I make the scones I keep the dough rather high...so each scone is like a round tower...can smell them..these cyberspace scones..
quelle4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Scones Reply with quote

A while back I had a discussion with someone claiming that scones contain eggs. I disagreed as I have never baked scones using eggs, however I assume that "cakier" scones probably do contain eggs.

The difference between biscuits and scones isn't all that great. Sometimes biscuits contain shortening as well as buttermilk and baking soda, where as the scone recipes I have seen usually simple call for butter, as well as milk and only baking powder. Then of course the shape set them apart, where the biscuits are round and the scones triangular...

Previously today I made some pumpkin scones, as I had previously made some really nice pumpkin butter. This time I added some baking soda to the batter to balance out any acidity from the pumpkin and it turned out perfect - really nice and moist. Here is the recipe: http://christonium.com/culinaryreview/ItemID=11925775545610

The lemonade scones sound delicious, I'll have to try that next.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quelle4 WELCOME!

in Australia, our scones are usually round...I use a rather large cutter..and place the dough discs close together..I love that soft edge when they bake!

do let us know how your lemonade scones go...soooooooooo scrumptious with any berry jam and the richest cream you can get your hands on...

again..welcome...I enjoy your writing...more please
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pumpkin butter scones! Since pumpkin is one of my favorite things to work with I think that's an outstanding debut. Welcome!

I will have to make some pumpkin butter this week so I'll be able to make the scones this weekend. mmmmm! OTOH, pumpkin butter on plain scones or Madame's lemonade scones sounds pretty good too. Wink

OK if I cut them into wedges, Madame? Wink I've never been very good at reforming the scraps when I use cutters. I don't even use cutters for my Christmas cookies.
quelle4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: scones Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have been following this forum for some time, and I finally decided to make an account. You guys have such interesting discussions that spark so many ideas...
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, so glad you decided to join the conversation! Wink
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are all the richer for your joining quelle4!...'n Rainey, scones in ANY shape I say...I guess I'm used to circles...simply dip the top of a large glass in flour and press...my nana would say handle the dough as little as possible..come to think of it, hers were cut into triangles..

'n this for anyone with a few seconds 'spare' in a busy day Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scone_(bread)
cathyeats

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reviving this old thread, because I just made some really good scones. I can't eat butter due to heart disease, so it's been very frustrating to give up things like scones. I made up this recipe - it took a few failures to hit on the right combination of ingredients. I hope these will convince some of you to eat heart-healthy baked goods rather than things loaded with artery-clogging butter. You don't want to end up like me! I'm thinking about making some variations next - maybe walnuts and orange zest.

If you want to see what they look like, here is the photo - they are really pretty! http://whatwouldcathyeat.com/2010/05/10/oat-and-currant-scones/

Oat and Currant Scones

1 cup old fashioned rolled oats

3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour

1/2 c. all purpose flour

1/4 c. packed brown sugar

1 t. baking powder

1/2 t. salt

1/2 c. organic canola oil

1/2 c. nonfat yogurt

1 egg

1 t. vanilla

1/3 c. dried currants

For glaze:

2 t. fresh lemon juice

2 T. confectioner's sugar

Preheat oven to 375. Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl. Whisk the oil, yogurt, egg and vanilla in another. Mix the two, stirring briefly to combine. Let the batter sit for 5 minutes, then fold in the currants. Pat the dough into an 8-inch round on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking oil spray. Cut into 8 wedges with a knife, using a spatula to move each wedge away from the circle to space them apart. (This may be a little tricky, as the dough is quite wet.) Mix the lemon juice and confectioner's sugar and brush a small amount of glaze on the top of each scone. Bake for 18 minutes, or until the scones are lightly golden.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of scones, I just picked up a nice trick from the CIA book Baking At Home.

After forming the dough it is cut into 12 wedges, each of which is individually wrapped and frozen. You can then make as few or as many as you want.

I'm thinking it probably would work with any scone recipe.

That recipe also has no butter.

They come out really good. My only objection is the final instruction. Who ever heard of eating cold scones?

Cream Scones

1/2 cup sugar
3 3/4 cups bread flour
2 tbls baking powder
2 tsp salt
2 tbls grated orange zest
1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
2 1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled
Cooking spray for greasing
Egg wash (1 large egg whisked with 2 tbls heavy cream)

Combine the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt in a stant mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium speed until well blended, about 1 minute. Blend the orange zest and cranberries into the flour mixture. Add the cream and mix on medium speed until just combined.

Remove the dough from the mixer, pat into a 10-inch diameter round 3/4" thick, and divide into 12 equal wedges. Wrap in plastic and freeze until solid, at least 4 hours and up to 4 weeks.

Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Arrange the frozen scones on the baking sheet, brush with egg wash, and bake until golden brown, 35-40 minutes.

Let the scones cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Let cool completely before serving.

recipe courtesy Baking At Home with The Culinary Institute of America, John Wiley & Sons, 2004
David

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'd never last long enough to get cold!!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'though I still have a soft spot for cold scone, hard butter, 'n...wait for it....sugar...

only every so often Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: