Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Carrot cake wedding cake - to torte or not to torte?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LGT

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Carrot cake wedding cake - to torte or not to torte? Reply with quote

Hello all, any advice on this would be much appreciated!

I am baking a 3-tier carrot cake for a wedding and wondering a) how many layers to put in each tier and b) whether to bake deep cakes and torte them (slice them) into 2 or 3 layers for each tier or c) whether to simply bake 2 or 3 individual layers for each tier.

Obviously, the advantage of baking one deep cake for each tier and them torting it into 2 or 3 layers is that it saves time and energy, but the deeper the cakes are the longer they will take to bake/more unpredictable they might be.

Any help would be fantastic, thank you!

LGT
David

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My immediate response (and think kindly of this as I have a history of cakeophobia) is to go with the more challenging "torte" (and I didn't know what that really meant until you phrased it) concept as the fillings/frostings would have a better chance to imbue the cake with texture and flavour through the "crumb" sides of the cutting, rather than the "crust" of the baked layer, if that isn't stretching bread language too far.
Rachel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from experience (having made a grand total of one wedding cake Wink ) I agree with David: split the layers, don't bake separate cakes for each tier. It's so much less hassle, plus you have less weight to deal with (an important consideration when stacking the tiers).
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LGT..I agree...splitting is the way I'd go...joyous baking of THE cake! What a treat to make a wedding cake...when's the wedding...food takes in energy me thinks...

How well I recall making a Dobostorta for my mother-in-law..gem of a dame...alas the baking of all those layers was a task and a half...one of my fav cakes...

all the very very very best with the baking ...do let us know how you go..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: