Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Recipes: Share Them or Hoard Them?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dairy_Queen wrote:
This is pure conjecture on my part, but I'm wondering if AGE and GENERATION has anything to do with it. [...] when I found the recipe on a site, one of the reviewers of the recipe thanked the poster profusely, stating that "my husbands mother refuses to share this with me so we will come over to her house![...]" I guess there's always an ulterior motive behind most things!

It might be age or generation (the one who refused to share the shortbread recipe was well into her 60s) but I suspect it is more likely to be fear of loss of some kind. The mother-in-law doesn't have enough confidence in her own worth and is afraid that they won't go to her house if she shares her milkpie recipe. Or perhaps she is afraid that the daughter-in-law will make better milkpie than she does.

Erin wrote:
Insecurity really causes some negative behavior. Sad isn't it.

Sad indeed.
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an interesting parallel between this recipe-sharing notion and the composition of classical music. During the 18th and 19th Century, most classical composers published their new compositions with music publishing firms in exchange for money. Since there were no recordings, the only way to hear music was either playing it at home, usually on the piano-forte, or hearing it live in concert. If you wanted the score, you had to buy it from the publisher -- that's how composers made money.

What's interesting is that there were some musical savants with a great musical memory who could hear a composition performed live, then go home an copy out the score note for note. It would be similar to being able to eat a dish and then recreate the recipe on your own.

So when someone refuses to share their recipe, just tell them you're a cooking genius and you're going straight home to write out the recipe from scratch.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarape wrote:
There is an interesting parallel between this recipe-sharing notion and the composition of classical music. During the 18th and 19th Century, most classical composers published their new compositions with music publishing firms in exchange for money. Since there were no recordings, the only way to hear music was either playing it at home, usually on the piano-forte, or hearing it live in concert. If you wanted the score, you had to buy it from the publisher -- that's how composers made money.

Damn, Sarape! I learn soooo much from you! That was some interesting info. The things we learn via the Internet!

Sarape wrote:
So when someone refuses to share their recipe, just tell them you're a cooking genius and you're going straight home to write out the recipe from scratch.

You have a very wicked sense of humour, Sarape! Me likes. Me likes! I'm itching to try this now.
Corey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that it is a personal decision that each person has to make, but it is a stupidly easy decision for myself. I would always share, because for me the gaining and sharing of knowledge (cullinary or otherwise) is a very sacred act, and one path to the betterment of mankind. So yes always share.
mary g

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: I love to share Reply with quote

I too am always thrilled when asked for a recipe, although I know it annoys people sometimes because I'm not a measuring cook (although more so when baking).
On the age question, I think it might be one of the factors--I know that some of my mother's friends were this way. My mother though, who was an amazing cook, was so willing to share that she gave a recipe to my exhusband's new wife.
Corey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I have that measurement policy too, someone asks me how much of something to put in and I'm like..."just enough"
portdevoix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I love to share Reply with quote

mary g wrote:
I too am always thrilled when asked for a recipe, although I know it annoys people sometimes because I'm not a measuring cook (although more so when baking).

Mary,

I'm just like you. I love to share recipes, but I always warn people that the amounts are just guesstimates. Those who want 1000% specific instructions are SOL when it comes to most of my recipes.

That being said, I often bring gifts of goodies to friends, and I include a pretty-font printout of the recipe. My most famous recipe are the "Come Again, Sweet Brownies" that I make with cinnamon in the batter, and the dark chocolate "TruthFles" with cayenne pepper. I will share either of these recipes upon request.

Quote:
On the age question, I think it might be one of the factors--I know that some of my mother's friends were this way. My mother though, who was an amazing cook, was so willing to share that she gave a recipe to my exhusband's new wife.

I concur with those who say that this is a personal insecurity issue. If you feel that your worth is staked on your cooking, then giving away your recipes is giving away part of yourself and losing some of that worth. Rolling Eyes

"La cuisine au beurre est toujours meilleure."
- Julia Child, 1912-2004
Sarape

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I love to share Reply with quote

portdevoix wrote:
I concur with those who say that this is a personal insecurity issue. If you feel that your worth is staked on your cooking, then giving away your recipes is giving away part of yourself and losing some of that worth. Rolling Eyes

This is such an interesting notion. Food must be so unique that it represents some sort of life or home or happiness or security in our culture. I can think of no other subject where knowledge is so protected. Most of us enjoy debate and proferring our view on politics, religion, sports, pop culture, et cetera. But, when it comes to sharing thoughts on our cherished recipes, we have some who act mute.

I don't know professional chefs, but I wonder if they also protect recipes and techniques. Did Babette, in the movie about her feast protect her recipes?
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know professional chefs, but I wonder if they also protect recipes and techniques. Did Babette, in the movie about her feast protect her recipes?

Well Sarape, I can tell you first hand that some of us do and some of us don't. I have only run into chefs that were protective of some sacred wing or rib recipe. Most of the chefs I know are willing to share their secrets, it is a compliment. Some are paranoid, some don't have time, some don't care, some have a cookbook coming out. It all depends.

"It's hot ham water."
JustMe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is old but....(I just got here!)....

Several years ago my niece was getting married & family members were asked to contribute favourite recipes for a "cookbook" that they were putting together for the bride. When the "book" got to me I was flipping through the pages...there's my pumpkin cheesecake recipe...there's my broccoli salad recipe....there's my potato salad recipe. It seemed like every recipe I considered adding was already in there. I guess everyone in the family liked recipes that I had chosen & had shared! Laughing I have wedding shower to attend in a month & I have been asked for a recipe...I better come up with something that I haven't shared yet!

My mother-in-law made the best cheese tea biscuits & she shared the recipe with me years ago. The first few times they were hockey pucks but now I have the knack. Every time I make those biscuits my family thinks of their dear departed grandmother. They're "Grandma's biscuits" even if Mom made them.

All I can say is that if people are "small" enough not to want to share with you...just walk away....be the bigger person....besides....there are too many recipes out there waiting to be tried....you might chance upon something better.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea for a shower present!

Many years ago I was in an online group of people who collected Christmas ornament. Since we were all over the country and it was just the early days of the internet we enjoyed the company and common interest. We also wanted to grow and make it more personal and more like a face-to-face group. One Christmas we decided to contribute recipes to a cookbook.

I did the typing in a recipe program (that is now VERY antiquated). I printed out hardcopies and designed a cover (that looked like the wrapping of a present) then spiral bound them.

I still use that recipe file today. I add all my favorite recipes -- even if they're taken from cookbooks that I own. It's become the core of the culinary knowledge I've collected over the years. I dred the day when it will no longer run on updated computer systems and I add new systems only very reluctantly and under great pressure to preserve that original file.
Crow4ever

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always delighted when someone asks me for one of my recipes!

I know several people who are very cagey re handing over a recipe, my take on their not sharing a recipe is they simply didn't cook the darn item and have no idea what is in it Wink

And without all the cooks around the world who share their recipes every day just think how dull and boring cooking/baking would be! Thank goodness 99% of the population believes in sharing!
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crow4ever wrote:
my take on their not sharing a recipe is they simply didn't cook the darn item and have no idea what is in it Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Cornette

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, do you share or take it to the grave?

I'll share as much as I can.

Life if about sharing and caring. No matter what.

Whatever you do allways remember that 100 years from now nobody will even remember our names unless you are really something special.

Cornette
JustMe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crow4ever wrote:
... my take on their not sharing a recipe is they simply didn't cook the darn item and have no idea what is in it Wink

Well, now that you mention it...I have a friend who recently graudated from a cooking school and now does catering. He says that many of the requests he gets are for dinner parties. He has had clients who gave him their pots & pans & had him cook the dinner, bring it over all prepared & leave it on the stove...just as if they had cooked it themselves!!!

Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: