Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

HARVEST, Picton, Prince Edward County, Ontario and a chef!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: HARVEST, Picton, Prince Edward County, Ontario and a chef! Reply with quote

Went down to "The County" for some stress reduction and was intent on eating at Harvest, a restaurant that has been garnering rave reviews since opening 5 years ago under the helm of Chef Michael Potters. It is however peak season so getting an actual table proved impossible. So the waiter took my name and said he'd save a place for me at the bar on Saturday evening. My seat gave me a very good look inside to the kitchen itself! Wonderful whirl and bustle. While "nursing" (yeah right) my martini this guy comes out from the kitchen and just chats away to me for a bit, the rush had not yet started. Pleasant fellow and when he left I asked who it was--turned out to be the Chef himself. I guess I somehow gave off an aura of interest because sure enough, when the rush died I was invited into the kitchen where Chef Michael gave me a personal tour and chat about how the place operates! Half an hour he gave me! All that after feasting on a charcuterie platter of 3 pates, prosciutto, smoked fish, cornichon relishes and mustard, all made locally, followed by local boar barbequed in a Thai marinade followed by a trio of homemade sorbets and ice creams! I think I may have to go back, just so I can sit at a table!
georgia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, isn't it just such a very special thing when that happens? Once, a long while ago, my daughters took me and my mother (their grandmother, of course) out for a "girls night out" as a birthday present for the two of us. It was a Very Special Restaurant where, as it happens, I had had contact with the chef a few times. She came out to welcome us (the rest of the diners certainly noticed), which thrilled my girls and mom, and then she sent out a special cheese course and 4 glasses of vin santo. It started out as a special evening and ended up that much more wonderful. Go back again! If that chef doesn't remember you, I'll be surprised!
CadburyQueen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: HARVEST, Picton, Prince Edward County, Ontario and a che Reply with quote

It certainly sounds like you had a grand old time. Many restaurant guests (especially at 5 star places) don't get the privilege of seeing the "operations" -- let alone getting to have a personal conversation with the head chef. While my experience at the "Old Homestead" in NYC was fantastic, I certainly didn't get that much personal attention. You should consider yourself very lucky! Very Happy
David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I do Leela! Very lucky, on top of everything he gave me the name of some of his friends here in Ottawa who run some of the finest kitchens around and said I was to tell them that he had sent me! somtimes i indeed feel charmed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: