Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Any Good Children's Cookbooks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timetobake247

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Any Good Children's Cookbooks? Reply with quote

Hey everybody. I'm getting back into posting again and am looking for some advice. I have two younger cousins(7 and 10) coming to town in a couple weeks and one loves cooking and baking. I on the other hand am no chef, so I want to have some fun and creative dishes for us to make. Does anyone have some fun ideas or cookbook ideas that I can pick up? Thanks.
georgia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might see if you can find Marion Cunningham's "Cooking With Children: 15 Lessons for Children, ages 7 and up, Who Really Want to Learn to Cook".

On the other hand, using no specific cookbook targeted at children, I've found that my grandchildren simply love being part of any regular kitchen activity. Let them stand on a stool or chair (if they need a boost), teach them about measuring and adding ingredients, let them help in kneading bread, concoct delicious smoothies in a blender, etc. Then there is always the too-much-sugar-decorations approach to cookies and cupcakes...

Have fun!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...15 Lessons for Children... Who Really Want to Learn..."
That title sounds a little straightlaced, slighty forbidding!

I love the Fannie Farmer Baking book she (M. Cunningham) did--the "Plate Size Cookies" would be fun for kids.
msue

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my original children's cookbook: the Better Homes and Gardens Junior Cookbook for the Hostess & Host of Tomorrow. The red-checkered cover shows a smiling cook carrying trays of hotdogs and desserts!

Unbelievably, I found a link on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Junior-Cook-Book-Classic/dp/0696228335/ref=pd_sim_b_title_2

It brings back such memories - the Junior cookbook looked a lot like the grown up version that my mom had, making me feel an important part of the kitchen.

What memories!
rachael24

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Better Home Junior Book also! They actually have some good recipes in there.
David

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you check back in the topics archives here at C & Z very early on in the forums there was a thread on cookbooks for Kids, pretty sure it was about 4 years ago.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check out Jo Anne Larzik's new Let The Kids Cook. The book is an outgrowth of her cooking school for kids.

This isn't a hot dogs & mac & cheese book, but is filled with recipes for real food, such as stuffed mushroom caps with deviled crab, corn chowder with diced tomatoes, and Chicken Parmesan. Each recipe is even divided into the steps the child does and those an adult should handle.

I think it's only available via direct sales. But you can find info at www.nowwerecookinkids.com.
timetobake247

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everybody! Thanks for all the advice. I didn't have a chance to get any of the books yet, but will definitely let you know how it goes. They're going to be here this coming Saturday. I think we're going to make pizza. Make the dough, prepare the toppings, grate the cheese, etc. We can also make brownies which requires the measuring and mixing like you all suggested. Thank you!!
David

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the Chocolate & Zucchini cookbook---there is nothing easier than the yoghurt cake. Clotilde says it's more or less the first thing little French people learn how to bake---and i can do it so a 6 year old should be able to as well.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestion, David. I have made that wonderful cake so many times, in so many different ways that I can almost make it in my sleep.

If you don't have the C&Z cookbook, timetobake247, here's the original recipe from Clotilde, posted in 2005

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2005/10/yogurt_cake.php

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ran across Toddler Café by Jennifer Carden. Haven't read it myself but it looks like healthy recipes combined with healthy advice on cooking & eating with kids.
wester

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, those children will be quite a bit older now, but my own children have only just reached the age where they can help along a bit (they're almost 4).

I really love Mollie Katzen's childrens cookbooks (Pretend soup, and Salad People) because children as young as three can really follow the recipes thanks to the pictorial representation. I think too many childrens cookbooks are really only for children of 6 and up, and then they're basically normal cookbooks except everything has a funny face on it.
Here my daughter is making the popovers from Pretend Soup. It's amazing how much they can do even at the tender age of three. Of course I had to put them in the oven, and supervise everything, but she mixed everything, broke the eggs, greased the pan, even measured the milk.

There's one for children from 8 years up with a bit more complicated recipes (Honest Pretzels), but I don't know how that one is yet - ask me in four years time.
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums, Wester, and thanks for sharing these recommendations. The photo is adorable, too.

My nephew is two years old so he's still a bit young, but it's interesting to hear that kids can start "cooking" as early as three -- I'll get him one of those books then!
RussNH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might laugh at this one, but my 12 year son received a cookbook for Christmas -- Betty Crocker Kids Cook. Very, very simple recipes and probably too easy for 12. Nonetheless, he made a "mouthwatering cinnamon muffins" recipe for my wife's birthday. Oh wow. But how could you go wrong when you put in that amount of butter! [/u]
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussNH...ah, butter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

timetobake247, have come across The Kid's Cookbook ~ Abigail Johnson Dodge

golly gosh am thinking of my childhood..the very IDEA of a cookbook for children would have been unthinkable Wink ...at least in my neck of the woods...

love that children are more and more involved in the preparation of meals..simply marvellous...

junior c&z!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: