Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Managing Information Overload in the Food World

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cara Mae

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Managing Information Overload in the Food World Reply with quote

Just posted this as a comment to Clotilde's Pain au Levain post (8/24/10) - then realized the forum might be a better place.

This Art of Eating/Clotilde exchange is so interesting - it really highlights the complicated relationships in the food publishing world.

On the subject of publications...there is (of course) so much amazing food writing out there. I'm interested to hear how other people pick and choose - right now I'm trying to hone a list of websites and books to keep up with that's diverse, manageable, etc. One of the issues (as pointed out in the post) is depth vs width - i.e., short blog posts vs long mag articles.

Just interested to see how other people address information overload in the food world in particular.
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums Cara Mae, and thanks for the interesting question!

I use an RSS reader (Vienna) to keep up with blogs and other sites, and I regularly do some housekeeping, deleting subscriptions I feel don't inspire/educate me on a regular basis.

To avoid information overload, I also "mark all articles as read" every other week or so: if I haven't gotten around to reading to them in that time span, I probably never will and that's okay.

Another thing I do is use Instapaper to flag articles I want to read but don't have time to read right away. Then, when I have more time (or when I'm in line at the post office with my iphone) I can review those articles and do some reading.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: