Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Pumpkin Recipes Desperately Needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Pumpkin Recipes Desperately Needed. Reply with quote

So, based on comments made by the head pastry chef at Blackberry Inn, I put in a small patch of Flat Tan Field Pumpkins this year. Despite using immature ones as summer squash, they're still going to drive us out. Near as I can tell, there are about 30 maturing ones (coming in at 15-20 lbs each).

I have a fair number of pumpkin recipes. But, obviously, I'm going to be using a lot of pumpkin this year. So I would appreciate any recipes and uses---sweet or savory---y'all can suggest.

We do not eat pumpkin pie, so I'd just as soon not see recipes for that dish. And I'm really looking for savory uses more than sweet ones. But will take what I can get.

Thanks
Shut Up And Cook

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: I have a great pumpkin risotto recipe Reply with quote

...I'll be happy to post it up on my blog and send it along to you.

Also, pumpkin ravioli with a brown butter sauce are delicious.

Couldn't agree more about the preference for savory over sweet.

Stand by!

www.TheAttainableGourmet.com
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact, I've been reading your blog. Nice job you're doing over there.

So, sure, if you want to post something about my search I'd appreciate it. If you want, I'd be happy to send you the background of this heirloom pumpkin, and keep you up to date with harvest & use.

Why don't you contact me directly (brook@cheftalk.com) and we'll work out the details.

Thanks.
Rachel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite savory use for pumpkin is curry. I particularly like Nigel Slater's recipe:

http://nigelslater.com/recipes_view.asp?nRecipe_ID={34D46FC5-9AAA-44B9-B216-4796A334F8CD}&nRecipeCat_ID={ACCFD0C0-6F59-4487-8C1B-B35A8DACDA8F}&sSrc=

I also once tried the pumpkin parmesan recipe in The Silver Spoon (same concept as eggplant parmesan, just with pumpkin). It was quite rich, but very good. And I know you're looking for savory rather than sweet recipes, but I can't not mention Bernard Clayton's pumpkin bread recipe, which is delicious and not all that sweet - one of my favorite cold-weather breakfasts is a couple of thin slices of it toasted and spread with salted butter.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Rachel. That Nigel Slater recipe sounds really good.

There's no doubt that pumpkin and curry go together. In fact, I picked one of the pumpkins yesterday; mostly cuz I just couldn't wait. Way too early---looks like they need at least two more weeks to maturity. But I used that one to make a curried pumpkin bisque with shrimp.

Is the Bernard Clayton recipe for a quick bread or a yeast bread? I tend to think of quick breads as being cake. But I make a yeasted pumpkin bread that's really good. It came from the Eric Treulle/Ursula Ferrigno book, Ultimate Bread.
Rachel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bernard Clayton recipe is indeed a quick bread, so I guess it falls into your definition of "cake"... that said, if you find yourself getting really tired of pumpkin, the loaves make excellent and much-appreciated gifts!
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That they do, Rachal.

We give gifts of home-made food products: Jams, dried fruits, home-canned stock, preserves, etc.

As part of a basket we almost always include mini-loaves of quick breads. Could be pumpkin, or zucchini, or banana, or lemon. Something that hopefully compliments something else in the basket. Perhaps pumpkin bread to go along with the apple butter? Or lemon bread with the apricot jam? That sort of thing.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As y'all can imagine, I'm doing a lot of experimenting with pumpkin. Here's a nice salad I came up with. Had it with pan-fried venison tenderloin last night and they really went well together.

Pumpkin/Jicama Slaw

1 lbs grated raw pumpkin*
½-3/4 lb grated raw jicama*
3 tangerines
¼ cup white balsamic vinegar or blood orange vinegar if available
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Pinch cinnamon
Pinch nutmeg
1 tsp grated fresh ginger root
Pinch cayenne
Salt & pepper to taste
Toasted pumpkin seeds for garnish

Bring a pot of water to boil. Blanch the pumpkin one minute, then shock in ice water. Drain dry well by wringing in a towel. Toss the pumpkin and jicama in a large bowl.

Segment 2 of the tangerines into supremes, reserving any excess juice in a separate bowl. Juice the remaining tangerine and combine with reserved juice.

In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, tangerine juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cayenne and olive oil. Combine with the jicame/pumpkin mixture and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Gently fold in the tangerine supremes.

Divide salad among individual salad bowls. Sprinkle a few pumpkin seeds on top of each serving.

*I actually “grated” these using the fine julienne setting on my mandoline so they’d have a little more body.
swan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me 'quick breads' count as'cakes'as well.
I would love to have some more recipes for them - someone willing to share?
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you've got the usual zucchini, pumpkin, and banana variations, Swan. But here's one a little different.

It comes from the folks at White Oak Plantation, an upscale hunting club in the Mississippi Black Belt:

Lemon Bread The White Oak Plantation

1/3 cup shortening
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 1/2 tsp baking owder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
Grated rind and juice of one lemon

Cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift dry ingredients together and add altenately with milk to creamed mixture, beating well. Add nuts and lemon rind.

Pour into greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan. Bat at 350F for 50-60 minutes.

Blend remaining sugar and lemon juice; pour over bread as soon as it comes from oven.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason this one isn't marked as to source. But I believe it came from an old Gourmet.

Cherry Nut Bread

In a small saucepan bring 1/2 cup orange juice to a simmer

In a large bowl combine 1 cup pitted sweet black cherries, 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter, softened, and the orange juice and stir the mixture until the butter is melted.

In a bowl beat 2 eggs until they are light and lemon colored, add 1/2 cups sugar and 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind, and beat the mixture until it ribbons when the beater is lifted. Add the egg mixture to the cherry mixture. In another bowl sift together 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 teaspoon ech of baking soda, double-acting baking powder, and salt and fold the flour mixture into the cherry mixture with 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. Stir the batter until it is just combined and pour into a buttered loaf pan.

Bake the bread in a preheated moderate oven (350F) for 1 hour, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the bread to a rack, let it cool, and slice it. Serve the bread with softened cream cheese.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another one, Swan, for which I have no attribution. Which means it's been in my recipe file a long time, because I got in the habit of tracking sources more than five years ago.

Herbed Cheese Quick Bread

1 1/2 cups white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tbls baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 bls brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup chopped scallions
2 tbls chopped parsley
1/2 tsp thyme
1 1/2 cups crumbled sharp Cheddar cheese
1 egg
3/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly oil a 9 x 5 loaf pan.

Sift the flours, baking powder, salt and brown sugar in a large bowl. Stir in the scallions, parsley, thyme and cheese. In a smaller bowl, beat together the egg and milk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined; the batter will be stiff. Transfer to the loaf pan and smooth the top.

Bae for 40-45 minutes, until the top is firm and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes before removing the bread from the pan.

Serve warm or at room temperature.
swan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KY, they look wonderful. One question though: what exactly is shortening and what can it be replaced with?
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swan, shortening is hydrogenated vegetable oil. Basically, oil in solid form.

In the U.S. the most familiar brand is Crisco, whose ingredinets are: souybean oil, fully nyrogenated palm oil, partially hydrogenated palm and soybean oils, and a bunch of stuff I can't pronounce.

It was originated, about 75 years ago, as a substitute for lard, for those who had religious or dietary restrictions. In most cases, butter easily subs, although the Crisco folks say it takes both crisco and water to equal butter. Go figure.
swan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy sounds tasty and healthy. I'll experiment a little, though I think I can find Crisco in HongKong, I'm not sure I want to try!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: