Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

What are you making for dinner this week?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shut Up And Cook

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: What are you making for dinner this week? Reply with quote

Here's my weeks worth of dinner ideas including saffron risotto, joyous ginger mussels, panzanella salad, and crab cakes with curry mayo.

http://wp.me/PuWta-D

What are you making??

www.TheAttainableGourmet.com
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been up to it in alligators, so haven't got the whole menu plan down, yet. But on the list so far:

A Turkish meal from the brand new The Turkish Cookbook, including Pearl Onion Stew, Best Rice Pilaf, and White Radish Salad.

Venison Saute with grilled veggie/farrow salad and jicame/pumpkin slaw.

Lentil soup, Kedgeree Coventry, Carrots in Honey with Raisins.

Fried Quail, Sauteed Black Kale, Butternut Puree.
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I look in the fridge and see what there is! Tonight, bacon with cherry tomatoes and garlic with pasta. A little pesto might go in and pepper.

Tomorrow I may have the same or chicken breasts with potatoes... whatever I have left.

Actually that tends to be true of most of my cooking. What have I got and what can I do with it...?!
dory

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am totally amazed by people who are able to make a week's menus in advance, and stick to them. I end up wondering each night of the week what I am going to cook. There are some nice surprises, but then there are some nights of rice and fried eggs with ketchup.

Dory
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just the opposite, Dory. Can't understand the people who don't make such plans.

I often wonder, for instance, how they do their shopping, and manage their own freezers without some sort of menu plan.

Ours isn't so cast in concrete that it's a straight jacket. We don't even go so far as to plan X meal for Tuesday. And if we've planed XYZ, and decide on a pizza instead, it's no big deal. It'll hold until the following week.

It's especially important, I think, for folks like us who have to make a major drive in order to do any realistic shopping. Nearest real stores are 35+ miles away. So, once a week, we make a round-robin tour of them, hitting as many as 8 or 9 places. No way that would make sense without a weekly plan.
Shut Up And Cook

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed...the meal plan is a critical element to how I approach cooking.

Otherwise I would live on grilled cheese and take-out.

I do my shopping on Sundays and then pick-up whatever day-of-ingredients I need...well....day of!

Here's my latest meal plan: http://wp.me/PuWta-D ,complete with Organic Beef Hamburgers with Bacon Jam, Carmelized Onions, and Stilton Cheese.

Speaking of though...anyone have any good recipes for bacon jam?

Shut Up And Cook

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came home on this dark, rainy, Monday Seattle night feeling hungry….but not entirely motivated.

These Scallop ‘Po Boys are just the ticket. They’re easy to do, relatively inexpensive to make since the bay scallops are almost always half the cost of the big guys, and utterly satisfying.

Scallop ‘Po Boys with Spicy Remoulade
http://wp.me/puWta-8Z

What'd you all make for dinner tonight?

swan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of eating out this week so yesterday it was soup, salad and baguette at home. My dinnerplanning doen't take place at all - but living in the citycentre of HongKong does that to you. So many places to eat out (cheap as well) and only a 4 mins walk to the supermarket - no weekplanning needed!
Our week usually involves sushi (out), steak (out), and at least one other night a week eating somewhere out (indian, chinese, vietnamese, thai, japanese - it's all just a stonethrow away).
The cooking I do at home these days is usually the easy stuff as the kitchen is tiny! So stirfry's, quiches, pastas, soups, salads and stews is the main thing.
I want to spend some more time trying ' real' recipes and cooking new things, so that wil be my new years resolution.
kyle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Cooking this week Reply with quote

Pot roast with root vegetables tonight. Pizza on Friday. A co-worker gave me some oxtail today. Not sure whether I want to make soup or braise them. It 20 degrees and snowing today so either sound good.
Shut Up And Cook

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, if you made oxtail please post the recipe! I love it but have never made it and am eager to try.

Here's what's on our roster for the week: Grilled Portobella Sandwiches, Toasted Quinoa Salad, and Ham and Cheese Puff Tarts. http://wp.me/PuWta-D

KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna be a busy week. Friend Wife's birthday is Tuesday, and we're going out to celebrate.

Among the things on the at-home menu this week: Tonight was roasted quail with noodle kugle and green peas. Other nights will include Eric Ripart's Cod Basquaise with Pumpkin Gnocci, and eggplant & green beans; Fried Calamara, Stir Fired Bok Choy, and Sauteed Pumplin Cakes; and Slow Cooked Pork Loin in Milk w/Pumpkin, Buttered Noodles, and Broccoli.
cathyeats

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out with a vegetarian chili that knocked my socks off. I used dried ancho chiles, which I pureed with beer. Yum! Now I need to cook something bland for the rest of the week. Probably pasta with greens of some kind.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for nothing, Cathy (do non Brooklynites know what that means?), but "dried ancho" is redundent.

Anchos are the dried form of the poblano chili.

That aside, pureeing them with beer sounds really good. I'll definately have to give that a try.
Shut Up And Cook

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KYHeirloomer - Do you make your gnocchi from scratch? If so...care to share the recipe? Thx!!

KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Erin. Between the holidays and my dental surgery I somehow missed this post.

From scratch? Depends on what you mean by that. According to Carl Sagen, "if you want to make an apple pie from scratch, first create the universe."

But, in the commonly accepted form of that phrase, the answer is yes.

The secrets of good gnocchi are 1. Controlling the amount of flour, using as little as possible to create the dough, and 2. cook them in batches, so there's plenty of water surrounding each piece.

Here's my basic recipe:

3 medium russet potatoes, baked and riced
1 tbls unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 tsp sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Pinch grated nutmeg
Up to 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour

Combine the riced potatoes with the butter, egg, egg yolk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Incorporate enough of the flour to make a soft dough.

Divide the dough into balls about the size of an egg. On a very lightly floured surface roll out each ball into a cylinder about 3/4" in diameter. Cut the cylinders into pieces about an inch long.

If you have a gnocchi board use that. If not, roll each gnocchi across the tines of a fork to create ridges. Lay each piece on an oiled baking sheet until all of them are formed. Note: You can cover the sheet with plastic wrap and store these in the fridge for up to a day.

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Working in batches, add the gnocchi to the pot. When they float, cook for another 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a colander to drain.

Just before serving, finish as desired (i.e., toss in sage & browned butter; combine with a gorgonzola sauce; etc.)

In theory, when making pumpkin gnocchi, you merely substitute pumpkin puree for the potatoes. I've found that doing this requires much more flour, and the gnocchi tend to be tough because of it. So I use one potato and about a cup of puree.

It also helps to let the puree drain as much as possible, or even to reduce it over heat. The less liquid there is the less flour you'll need. This is the same reason why I bake and rice the potatoes rather than boiling them.

I haven't tried it myself, but I recently read that if you use cornstarch instead of flour on your rolling surface it helps, because there's that much less flour incorporated into the gnocchi.

Last edited by KYHeirloomer on Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: