Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

What's the secret ingredient you put in your pumpkin pie??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shut Up And Cook

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: What's the secret ingredient you put in your pumpkin pie?? Reply with quote

I love pumpkin pie...but I'm pretty picky about it. So many are just a sweet, goopy mess that for a few years I was decidedly off pumpkin pies.

Anyhow...I'm back on the hunt for the Perfect Pumpkin Pie recipe.

I made one tonight that was pretty good...secret ingredient...a little maple syrup.

http://wp.me/puWta-8p

That said...I'm not done with my search...for that little something that makes a Pumpkin Pie just right.

What do you all use?

www.TheAttainableGourmet.com
Shut Up And Cook

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking a dollop of sour cream or cream cheese or marascapone might be good.

Just something to give it a little touch of tang/savory flavoring

Thoughts?

simona

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like pumpkin pies, but I think some lemon juice or even orange juice ( fresh of course) could enhance the taste.

No more war, pumpkin pies for all!!!
Shut Up And Cook

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm....a touch of orange juice...that could be good. Or perhaps a splash of real apple cider...

whimbrel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shut Up And Cook wrote:
Hmmmm....a touch of orange juice...that could be good. Or perhaps a splash of real apple cider...

How about grated orange or lemon peel? I add orange peel to gingerbread - it really enhances the flavor.
melinda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was on the hunt for a good sweet potato pie recipe & ended up adding cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla & bourbon in addition to the brown sugar, eggs & real mashed sweet taters......my hubby loved.....
Shut Up And Cook

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bourbon might be exactly where it's at.

I'll try and report back!

Thanks for all the ideas!

KellyAllard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

melinda wrote:
i was on the hunt for a good sweet potato pie recipe & ended up adding cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla & bourbon in addition to the brown sugar, eggs & real mashed sweet taters......my hubby loved.....

Melinda, would you post the recipe for this? It sounds wonderful!
melinda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really just made it up......4 med sized yams or sweet taters (which i microwaved & scooped out)....1 cup light brown sugar (u can do with less i think) ...2 eggs, a couple sloshes of milk....i guess maybe 1/3 to 1/2 cup ( i used 1%)......cinnamon, nutmeg, bourbon & vanilla.....unmeasured
put into a pre-baked pie shell, then baked @350 for about 35-40 min
David

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the bourbon suggestion!
dory

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have what might be the world's best pumpkin pie recipe. I got it from the New York Times food section. The chef who invented the recipe is called Pichet Ong.I don't know if I should put the recipe here or in the recipe box section, but will add it here, with the idea that all the ingredients are my secret ingredients, as it is pretty unconventional but pretty delicious. Ok. Technically it is a squash pie, but you could make it with a sweet pie pumpkin. Yummy, yummy, yummy!

1 medium kabocha squash, about 3 pounds
10 ounces (1 1/3 cups) cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg (about 1/4 of a nutmeg)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons brandy
2 eggs at room temperature
FOR THE CRUST:
3/4 cup (2 ounces) walnuts
1/2 cup packed, light brown sugar
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 7 crackers)
Grated zest of 1 lime
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (2 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
Créme fraîche, for serving (optional)
Ginger butterscotch sauce, for serving (see recipe)
PREPARATION
For pie filling, bring an inch of water to a boil in a large covered pot fitted with a steamer basket or rack. Put in squash, cover and steam, replenishing water as needed, until fork tender, about 1 hour. Turn squash over halfway through steaming. Set squash aside until cool enough to handle.
Heat oven to 325 degrees. For crust, place walnuts on a baking tray, and toast in oven, stirring once or twice, until fragrant, about 15 minutes. Let cool. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
In a food processor, combine walnuts with a few tablespoons brown sugar and pulse a few times, until nuts are coarsely ground. In a large bowl, whisk nuts with graham cracker crumbs, remaining brown sugar, lime zest, spices and salt. Pour melted butter over this mixture, and mix with your fingers until butter is distributed. Press evenly into a 10-inch glass pie plate. Bake crust until lightly browned, about 12 minutes, then set aside. Keep oven at 300 degrees.
When squash is cool, cut it in half and scoop out seeds and pulp. Scoop squash flesh into a measuring cup until you have 2 1/2 cups.
In a food processor, process cream cheese with sugar, spices and salt until light and smooth. Scrape down bowl, add squash and process until smooth. Mix in brandy and then eggs, one at a time. Finish mixing with a rubber spatula.
Place pie plate on a baking sheet and scrape filling into crust. Bake until just set in center, about 1 hour. Let cool before serving, topped with créme fraîche and drizzled with butterscotch sauce.
YIELD
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically it is a squash pie, but you could make it with a sweet pie pumpkin.

FWIW, Dory, two things.

First, virtually all winter squash can sub for each other in almost all recipes. What will change is the relative sweetness, and, sometimes, the color. For instance, while you could use acorn squash in your recipe, it will be pale colored, rather than the deep orange we usually think of. But a butternut, or, as you say, a pie pumpkin would likely be indistinguishable from the kabocha in this case.

Second, horticulturally speaking, there is no such thing as a pumpkin. Pumpkins (which can be found in all of the commonly grown squash species) are a common-usage term only. To a horticulturist, a pumpkin is just another hard-shelled squash.

So, when choosing a winter squash for any particular purpose, what's important in the decision-making is texture (you don't want to use carving pumpkins for culinary purposes, for instance), color, and sweetness. The specific variety is all but irrelevent.
cathyeats

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaten egg whites - it makes the filling incredibly light and fluffy. The pie I just made was by far my best ever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: