Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Comfort Foods
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelledone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: 'Tude... Reply with quote

Hey, newbie here...

I agree with Sarape... comfort food is all about the situation in which it is eaten. I can't remember the last time I ate something at a party that was as good as the things I eat at home or with friends. Having to make pleasant conversation makes it difficult to concentrate on stuffing one's face properly...

Having said that, the things which make me happiest are generally gooey things: warm bean burritos from the local taco truck with coke, saag panner with naan, sunny side up eggs with toast and beer...

But, my favorite thing, the one I crave above all others, is a large, warm, buttery oatmeal cookie spread with peanut butter and dunked in HOT coffee. This is something I usually eat by myself, after I have slunk into some darkened corner to console myself.
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Tude... Reply with quote

shelledone wrote:
Hey, newbie here...
I can't remember the last time I ate something at a party that was as good as the things I eat at home or with friends. Having to make pleasant conversation makes it difficult to concentrate on stuffing one's face properly ...This is something I usually eat by myself, after I have slunk into some darkened corner to console myself.

That nicely summarizes this long thread for me. It really is strange to think that we put so much effort into preparing food for parties (and money into buying nice meals from restaurants) while knowing that these meals would have been better savored in the comfort of our own home in our familiar surroundings.

Maybe I shouldn't link restaurant dining with party eating, however. 'cause restaurants are supposed to offer the best chance to enjoy the food.
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out today's on-line New York Times for a savory picture and article about Mac&Cheese. Gosh, only 10am and that photo has me pining for dinner.

You have to register to get the NYT articles, however.

Here is the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/04/dining/04wint.html?8dpc
Euridice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, my favorite comfort foods.. (sorry if this thread is dead and I'm reviving it with no reason)

Avocado with a sprinkle of salt
Chips and salsa
Tomato sandwich with mayo
FRIES!
Good Italian bread dipped in olive oil
Ice cream
chocolate
chocholate cereals in cold milk
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family's favorite comfort foods are shepherd's pie (made with any leftover meat - I've used lamb, beef, pork, chicken - and recently goose!), clam chowder and any kind of fruit pie or crisp. Also guacamole & chips are a big favorite. Or - a slice of my husband's homemade baguette - warm - with butter! Cocoa (REAL - and really good dark cocoa like Scharffenberger) with whipped cream on a rainy day. A baked yam is high up on my husband's list of comfort foods and an easy way to make him feel better after a difficult day at work!

Comfort food for ME at Christmas time is a slice of my homemade stollen, toasted with butter and a cafe au lait - with the crossword puzzle!

Interestingly, when I first found this forum, I had trouble thinking of anything beyond shepherd's pie, but as I wrote, the ideas kind of flooded in!
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euridice wrote:
(sorry if this thread is dead and I'm reviving it with no reason)

10 pages of musings! How could the idea of comfort food ever die!?

Glad to have your additions! Wink
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Rainey,

Happy New Year! I've been meaning to tell you that I made a batch of stollen with dried bing cherries - and managed to stash one away for myself. It is DIVINE! I've decided to make a bunch that way next year. Thanks for the notion!

I also have a preseved lemon recipe for you and will be letting you know about the food importer who sells charcuterie in the LA area as soon as I get my monthly e-mail from them. I think they're out in the valley...
Shut Up And Cook

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Macaroni and Cheese Reply with quote

Macaroni and Cheese...Macaroni and Cheese...Macaroni and Cheese.

Very Happy

Here's my recipe for what I personally consider the world's best.

http://wp.me/puWta-aT

www.TheAttainableGourmet.com
dory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for reviving this thread. It was inactive before I joined, so I never saw it. I love to see people's comfort foods. I made one of my favorite comfort foods this noon. It was white rice with vegetable stir fry-- with my own weird mustard flavored sauce. Actually it is really good-- just sounds weird. Sometimes, like today I put in some thinly sliced pork with the veggies. Bok choy is my favorite veggie of the moment, so of course the stir fry contained bok choy, put in at the last minute so it was sort of cooked but had a tiny bit of crunch left. I have lots of comfort foods (mashed potatoes made with a bit of buttermilk and cottage cheese come to mind), but my ultimate comfort food might be rice. Boring! I know.

Dory
Shut Up And Cook

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dory, you clearly have much more self control than I do if you consider stir-fry your ultimate comfort food.

I'm impressed!!

www.TheAttainableGourmet.com
dory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I will tell you a really low brow one that disgusts my husband but that I eat sometimes when he is away, or having rice with canned sardines, which is his disgusting comfort food. I like a big plate of spaghetti with that really really sweet Prego pasta sauce (and nothing else) poured over it in large quantities. That really processed tasting sauce reminds me of my childhood (ok, my mother wasn't the greatest cook!). Other childhood comfort foods like canned corned beef hash warmed in a fry pan with a poached egg on top just do not make it for an adult, (canned dog food smells more appealing to me than canned corned beef hash) but the processed pasta sauce does. This "recipe" feels especially self-indulgent because my husband is now refusing to eat any processed food (he recently refused to eat a soup I had made that contained canned organic tomatoes because they were "processed" and not fresh) and I am trying to eat less quick release simple carbohydrates, so the white pasta with sweet sauce feels ultra self-indulgent.

Deborah Madison, the vegetarian cookbook author wrote a book about the strange things people eat when they are alone. I believe one of her guilty pleasures actually contains meat, despite the fact that she is writes vegetarian cookbooks. I only read the book at the bookstore, so I don't remember what people's secret comfort foods were, but they were considerably odder than my processed pasta extravaganza. I am impressed that your mac and cheese is actually a tasty recipe.
David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A comfort food that has edged out some of my other ol' standbys is plain spaghetti with oil and garlic. Heat up some olive oil and fry a honking bunch of slivered garlic, add some freshly cooked pasta and toss together with some parmesan cheese. YUM
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it's sunny and in the 50's here - in stark contrast to most of the rest of the USA - I keep making soup! Last night I made an Italian lentil soup - lentils, garlic, onions, carrots, tomatoes and rice (plus I added several glugs of a dry red wine). Dark and warm and COMFORTING. We've had red posole and posole blanco. Can't get through winter without a BIG pot of clam chowder. Love a good ribollito filled to the brim with veggies and greens.

My sweet mother's idea of soup was Campbell's chicken noodle and as soon as I could move a spoon around a pot, I started making soups. Part of the appeal is the meditative act of chopping vegetables. It is SO calming for me. I always make at least a double batch and put the leftovers in the freezer. So at least one night a week, all I have to do is pull a Bag 'o' Soup out and heat it up - healthy fast food!

David, I agree, a simple pasta is VERY comforting. In fact tonight we are having pasta with some oven dried tomatoes I put up in October. Just pasta, chopped tomatoes, olive oil garlic and cheese. Yum!
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, Donna, it almost sounds like you're apologizing for making soup.

In this household we have soup year 'round, and usually every day. I don't care what the temperature is outside, soup is always comforting. Not to mention it's a great way of using up all the bits and pieces that accumulate.

Last night, f'rinstance, was a Basque-style leek & potato soup (which includes cod, btw). Before that, curried chickpea. And so on.

Even in the summer, soup is welcome. Sure, there are cold soups, which we do make from time to time. But regular hot soups are more the norm, even when the temperatures soar.
David

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly! One of the marvels of soup is its ability to take leftovers and with the magic of a decent stock transform them into an entirely different and delightful meal. Did just that with some leftover rice and turkey the other day, with a few additives of course but that's the basis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: