Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Favorite fall dishes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Favorite fall dishes Reply with quote

We're having a pre-Thanksgiving dinner party for about 20 people, and we have our hands full with brining a turkey, etc. but I'm looking for some inspriation for a few extra touches -- anyone have any favorite fall recipes to suggest? I'm looking for anything and everything (I'm just at the beginning of the planning) including desserts and warm beverages. Mmmm.... I'm getting hungry just thinking of the possibilities...
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give you my menu, let me know if you are interested in a recipe.

Roasted Squash Soup

Mixed Apple Salad with Roquefort and Toasted Pecans

Pear and Cranberry Sorbet

Roasted Turkey with a dressing yet to be decided

Provencal Roasted Chicken, per neighbors request

Sformotto

Cider Roasted Root Vegetables

For the dessert buffet;

Chai Pots de Creme

Spiced Rum Apple Tarts

Bite Size Pecan Pie

Pumpkin Mousse with Nutmeg Whipped Cream

Spice Cookies with a Vanilla Glaze

All of these recipes are very simple and easy. Good luck with your planning!

"It's hot ham water."
Kate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin -- the squash soup sounds fantastic. Would you mind sharing the recipe? And I'd like to know more about the chai pots de creme -- I'm not sure what that is, but it sounds intriguing. The Cranberry and Pear sorbet is also a great idea, but I think i've got recipes... thank you!
Isabella

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite fall dishes - South African pudding Reply with quote

Here is a traditional South African pudding. Very quick and easy to prepare but believe me - very good indeed!

Cape Brandy Pudding

For the you will need:

250 walnuts or pecan nuts, finely chopped
250g dates, chopped
5 ml bicarbonate of soda
250ml boiling water
130g butter
450ml sugar
2 eggs, beaten
400ml cake flour
5 ml baking powder
2ml salt
Sauce:

20ml butter
150ml brandy
5 ml vanilla essence
150ml water

Halve the dates and cover with the 250ml boiling water and allow to cool Cream 130g butter, 250g sugar and the beaten eggs. Mix well. Sift the salt, baking powder and cake flour into this mixture and fold in Stir in the bicarbonate of soda, water and date mixture, and the nuts and mix well Spoon dough into baking dish and bake at 180 deg C for about 45 minutes, or until done.

Sauce:
Heat 15 ml butter, the remaining sugar (250g) and 150ml water and let it idle along for three to four minutes, then stir in the vanilla essence and brandy. Remove pudding from oven and pour sauce over. You can serve this hot or cold, with anything from whipped cream to custard or ice cream.
David

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to go to Erin's for American Thanksgiving dinner Very Happy
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baked small winter squash halves, stuffed with "stovetop style" stuffing to which I added a sauteed mixture of onion, kale, sun-dried tomatoes & sage sausage. If you use slightly larger squash halves, this is a good main dish for supper. Stuffing can be made ahead and frozen successfully.
Erin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate,

This soup is very easy, so it is good for a crowd.

1 butternut squash , halved and seeded
Kosher salt and pepper
8 sprigs thyme
1 Tbs olive oil
1 head garlic unpeeled
2-3 cups stock

salt and pepper squash and place 4 sprigs thyme in each half, coat with olive oil. place cut side down on a lined baking sheet with garlic. Roast at 425 until soft. Discard thyme. Puree squash and just 4 cloves garlic with stock until desired consistency is achieved.

I will follow up with the chai pots de creme later!

"It's hot ham water."
Juliet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Favoirte Fall Recipes Reply with quote

Hi Erin - I was wondering if you would mind sharing your Chai Pots De Creme recipe? Your menu looks delicious and I have never seen a Chai version of Pots De Creme. I would love to make this for the holidays.
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, sorry for the procrasitnation! I must admit to being a touch lazy with the computer upstairs and the recipe down stairs. Sad, I know.

Here goes.

Chai Pots de Creme

1 cup whipping cream
1 cup whole milk
1 Tbs loose black or jasmine tea
1 cinnamon stick
8 whole cardamom pods
6 whole cloves
3 1/4 inch thick rounds peeled fresh ginger

4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp orange zest

combine first seven ingredients in sauce pan.. Bring to boil. Remove from heat. Cover and let steep for 15 minutes.

Preheat over to 325F. Place six 3/4 cup custard cups or ramekins in a 13x9x2 inch metal baking pan. Sieve mixture into a bowl, discard solids.

Wisk egg yolks, brown sugar and zest, make sure is well blended. Gradually wisk in cream mixture. Pour into custard cups, dividing equally. Pour enough hot water intobaking pan to come halfway up the sides of the cups. Cover with foil, piercing top several times, to vent.

Bake until softly set about 30 minutes. Cool on rack, then chill for 4 hours. Can be made 1 day ahead, cover and keep chilled. Top with homemade whipped cream.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are just delicious, a little different and wonderfully seasonal.

Pumpkin Patch Potatoes

• 2lb. sugar pumpkin (the small variety suitable for pies), halved, with seeds & strings removed
• 1 small onion - roughly chopped
• 2 tablespoons butter, melted
• 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1 pound baking potatoes (I like Yukon Golds), peeled and cut into rough chunks
• 2 ounces cream or neufchatel cheese
• 2 tablespoons fresh chives or scallion greens

Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Have ready a 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 inch jelly roll pan.

Place pumpkin halves cut side down on work surface. Peel with a sharp knife, following shape of pumpkin. Cut in 1 1/2 inch chunks. Place in pan with the onion, butter, brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Toss to mix, then spread out. Roast 25 minutes, stirring once, until pumpkin is tender and lightly browned in spots.

Meanwhile, place potatoes in a medium saucepan with water to cover; cook 15 minutes or until tender. Remove and reserve 1/3 cup of the cooking water. Drain potatoes in a colander; return to saucepan while hot.

Add pumpkin mixture, any juices in the pan, the remaining salt, the cream cheese and 1/4 cup of the reserved cooking water. Mash with a potato masher leaving potatoes slightly chunky. (I just push them through a ricer.) Add remaining cooking water, as needed, if dry. Stir in chives. Mound into baking dish. Drizzle on melted butter. Grate on nutmeg. Run under broiler to brown.

Per serving:

147 calories
3 grams protein
21 grams carbohydrate
1 gram fiber
6 grams fat (4 grams saturated fat)
18 milligrams cholesterol
471 milligrams sodium

We also like fresh baby brussels sprouts sauteed in a bit of butter with small cubes of proscuitto.
monkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must confess that every autumn i look forward to the first cranberries showing up in the market so that i can whip up a batch of the wonderfully pink and discordantly biting "mama stamberg's cranberry relish" (which makes it onto a broadcast of national public radio's morning edition every year.) the recipe has almost a cult like following and while it's tart and savory goodness is delightful on turkey, it really shines when it accompanies a serious roast beef sandwich or even a juicy hamburger.

at the risk of being self promotional, why not watch me making the recipe before anyone asks, cranberries are indigenous to north america, but, can be purchased in specialty shops around the world when they are in season. i have never tried the recipe with dried cranberries and wonder, but i would imagine it might turn out well with a few minor adjustments.

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
megwoo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Whole Roasted Pumpkin Reply with quote

my mom makes this insanely good whole roasted pumpkin stuffed with mascarpone (!) and truffles (!). not only is it delicious, but it's also really beautiful. the only drawback is that as you serve it, it starts to deflate, but it's soo good.

if you're interested, here's the recipe:
http://www.iheartbacon.com/recipes/recipe.php?lookup=&recID=61
chaxiubao

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my favorite fall dish, and allow me to speak this on behalf of the whole Chinese population in Hong Kong, is the freshwater hairy crab from the Jiangsu province in China. The arrival of the golden fall means it's providential to savor the golden roe of this divine detapod.

the roe is ethereal and the white meat delicious. and the glutinous sperm from the male crab is, surreal. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: