Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Really good audiobooks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harpospeaking

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Really good audiobooks Reply with quote

Back in the day, the 80s and the 90s to be more specific, books on tape (now known as audiobooks) gave adults the enjoyable luxury of being read to. I was never read to as a child, so I think my enthusiasm for audiobooks is me making up for lost time.

I have recently really enjoyed Juliet Stevenson's reading of both Persuasion and Sense and Sensibility. Her amazing storytelling skills add layers upon layers in the narration of Jane Austen's timeless masterpieces. She's very cognizant of the humor in Jane Austen's storytelling and it's so wonderful to hear the wit and irony of her writing in Juliet Stevenson's recordings.

Are there any readers or versions of audiobooks that you can heartily recommend?

http://onegirlonehouse.wordpress.com
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that I love the feel of holding a book and the look of the print as well as the text, so I have never gone for audiobooks.

Maybe one day I will. I have heard the actor Martin Jarvis reading the Just William stories on the radio tho' and they were a lot of fun. Jarvis was also clearly enjoying himself, which I think made it so good. But that's the closest I've ever got. Also, I have a whole library in my bedroom anyway so I'm used to the classic 'technology' of the book.

Admittedly with Juliet Stevenson reading Austen, you can't go wrong. She's a terrific actor. I'd love to hear Sean Connery read the James Bond books tho'! Or Ian McKellen reading Lord of the Rings?
David

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm not sure I would really take to listening to an actual novel on tape I recently was given the complete set of David Sedaris books (excepting of course the latest) on CD's and the next 3 weeks were spent driving to and fro with a huge smile and chuckles flowing. They are all read by David with some input from his equally mad sister Amy!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony Bourdain's 'Kitchen Confidential' read by the man himself is fantastic.

I'm not a huge fan of audiobooks, despite my partner Greg selling them for a living - I tend to fall asleep listening, so prefer to actually read a book myself.

But KC is excellent.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is looking for audiobooks in French, I can't say enough good things about these two:
~ Un Amour de Swan [Editions Thélème] (this is perhaps the most readable section of Marcel Proust's A La Recherche du temps perdu), read by French actor André Dussollier (no relation),
~ Les Liaisons dangereuses [Gallimard] (Dangerous Acquaintances), read by a team of French actors, including Karin Viard.
Clotilde.
KatyYandell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any audiobooks available in Russian???
If their is any please let me know.

Does the Fat Burning Furnace from http://weightwoo.com/fat-burning-furnace work well?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: