Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

C & Z & goat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: C & Z & goat Reply with quote

So for some odd reason, possibly the plethora of Halal shops in my new neighbourhood I suddenly got interested in goat. I googled "roast leg of Goat" and the first hit that came up was Slow Roast Goat Leg from the Howling Duck Ranch. What really caught my eye though was the third sentence, in bold mind you, which starts off, "This recipe is inspired by Chocolate and Zucchini which calls for lamb shoulder" and all I could think was "Good heavens! Clotilde is teaching the world to cook!"

Anyone have any cooking with goat stories? I don't but hope to before the summer is through. Buying the barbeque today!
nima

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Halal goat? Consider yourself very lucky! Goat (which is a staple red meat in India) is both better for you and better for the environment than most cuts of beef, pork, and lamb.

This article from the New York Times sings the virtues of goat:

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/01/dining/01goat.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

If you're firing up that grill, you might wanna think about making barbacoa tacos this summer!

And if you like, I can share my mother-in-laws goat curry.

Hope you're enjoying exploring your options!
David

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, really fun article Nima! Thanks. Had to look up barbacoa tacos, and they look totally yummy. Tacos aren't the street or fast food here in Central Canada they are in the US (well maybe in Toronto in a few areas but that of course is dancing with the devil).

barbeque arrives Friday, not sure when the natural gas hookup people will be along and we're still waiting for warmer weather!!

Would love your Mom's recipe!
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: C & Z & Goat Reply with quote

Well I know that there's a Caribbean recipe called Curried Goat, cos I used to be able to get it at a Caribbean place near the first museum I worked at in Tottenham, north London! It was very good too especially with rice an' peas.

No idea what the recipe is, but found this:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8779/jamaican-curried-goat
David

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin! How lovely to see you!! Curried goat was a staple of my grazing during the 5 years I lived in the Cayman Islands--loved the stuff, but never actually ventured to cook it myself. Indeed my interest in cooking post dates my time there. I remember when my dad retired my parents came to spend a few weeks with Dick and I for their first "retirement" holiday. I'd never considered them adventurous eaters ( I mean we didn't even see broccolli until about 1970) but at the Ash Wednesday Fair (big holiday in Cayman) we let them loose and met up with them an hour later and they were both munching away happily on curried goat and rice and peas. Was a lovely sight!
swan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satay Kambing! (on the bbq ofcourse)

(google Gambing/Kambing and get indonesian and Malay goat dishes)

Love the story of your parents!
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David, would email you but my old email address won't let me back in so I have a new one... same as the old one without the underscore.

I remember in Tottenham around lunchtime, posh BMW's and Mercedes with young black guys up from the City to have some good Caribbean food. They would park and sit in the cars with the doors open eating away. The two fabulous ladies used to look at me - tall, skinny, hungry! They would put a little 'sauce' on my food that would basically have a lot of the meat in it!!! I could be wrong but I think they were trying to fatten me up! Laughing

It didn't work, I am still tall and skinny... but I loved the food. I used to have salt fish with rice and peas too. Gorgeous food, and I miss it a lot.

Would love to go to the Caymans... if only to reclaim some of the taxes that are salted away there by rich Brits who don't think they owe society anything... I am getting radical in my old age so I'm told! And of course I'd love to go there and eat... who knows I might even put some weight on!
ErinT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had goat once at a Caribbean restaurant. I believe it was curried goat. It was a good dish but I can't really recall what the goat tasted like because of all the spices. Does goat meat have a gamy flavor to it or is it similar to beef or chicken?
David

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say more a mild mutton ErinT. Certainly not gamey(although I'm thinking if you cooked up a randy old billy goat it would probably be placed in that category)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: