Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Montmarte, the Marais, or St. Germain? Where to stay?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfzontelli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Montmarte, the Marais, or St. Germain? Where to stay? Reply with quote

Bonjour! First things first, I am brand new to [the forums] of Chocolate & Zucchini. AND.....feeling a little intimidated posting a question about lodging in Paris. I've read the posts here, there, and everywhere and feel like my head is about to explode with information on Paris hotels, flats, and more.

To cut to the chase:

My husband and I are traveling to France via Tanzania and Italy in February/March 2012. We have never been to France, and are ending our trip in Paris for 5 days before returning home. We are in our late 20s, love to walk, cook, eat, and just "be". Our style of travel is frequently to forget the camera, skip the long tourist lines, and not worry if we get lost for a few hours along the way.

It seems like one could be happy in any arr. of Paris given the right lodging or frame of mind. After reading about them (on this forum, lonely planet's thorn tree, the rough guide list, virtual tourist, tripadvisor, and more) I think we've narrowed it down to finding a flat in one of these neighborhoods:

-Montmarte (specifically this little gem: http://www.paris-oasis.com/accueil.php?lang=2&page=1
-Marais
-St. Germain (here is the link for the Marais and St. Germain: http://www.parisbestlodge.com/moreapartments.html

What do you think? Are you familiar with any of these flats? Have a preference for one district? We don't have a ton of money, and are hoping to spend no more than 125 EUR/n on accommodations while in Paris.

If you have any opinions, tips, or other recommendations, please feel free to share them with me. You will be bestowing them on a most grateful subject Smile

Merci!
simona

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
All three locations are great, but as you are coming for 5 days only, in my opinion the Marais is the best location, being in the heart of night life of Paris today. It's walking distance from the museums, Notre dame, Place de Vosges the latin Quarter . Centre Pompidou etc. and well connected with bus and metro lines .
St Germain quarter, on the Left Bank , is fine, but once again, the main attractions are on the Right Bank, and anyhow, the Latin quarter is walking distance from the Marais.
As for Montmartre, that should be the place to stay maybe next time in Paris. It's quite far from the main sights and though I love the area, I would not recommend it for a 5 night's stay. It's a pity to waste time in the metro.
In short, I strongly reccomend the Marais quarter.
Have a wonderful stay,

No more war, Paris is the place to be!!!!
Zoe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfzontelli, I'll answer rather late in case you're still in the planning stages. The metro in Paris makes everything very convenient, but I will second Simona's suggestion to stay in the Marais. It's close to everything and there's lots to do. The 6th would also be fine, and you'll be within walking distance of many attractions. My one question mark is your budget; I don't know what you'll be able to find for that kind of money. St. Germain at the very least tends to be rather pricey.

I'd stay away from Montmarte because it is a bit more metro time to get to many of the places you'd likely want to go to, and because you'll likely be doing a lot of walking uphill if you stay there. Since it'll be your first time in Paris - you'll be walking quite a bit anyway, so no need to add extra... Very Happy There are plenty of lovely places to get lost in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: