Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

International sources for cooking shows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dory

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: International sources for cooking shows Reply with quote

Hi all,

I put this question at the end of a long rambling posting about how I hate the Food Network in the U.S. It occurred to me that we are a very international crowd, and that we might be able to begin to search for and access international sources for cooking shows on the internet.

I got this idea because I tucked a 2 1/2 day mini visit to France into a work visit to England. I had no more time than that. I realized that my receptive skills had not deteriorated at all. I understood everything going on around me-- even staticky radio broadcasts, but was very scared to start speaking. On my last morning (basically the airport) I began talking, but because I live in a world entirely dominated by English and Spanish, it felt weird to me that there was still a world out there where genuine human beings spoke French. French felt like a distant memory of my youth, living in and traveling frequently to France, and although I knew intellectually that life is still going on in France-- in French, mind you, it took a long time to open the time capsule. I am going to have to find a way to get every day contact with French. I am guessing I am not the only person here with this issue. I also know, as a language teacher, that situations where something is being demonstrated visually, are the best language-learning devices for people whose skills are either at the beginning level or rusty. I also know we have German and Hebrew speakers (at the least) on this forum, and probably people wanting to maintain contact with those languages. Can we recommend things to each other? Anyone else interested? Also, if anyone discovers good internet sources for reaching those resources, could you share? I briefly had satellite TV from France, but the one channel available was so incredibly bad that I didn't watch it and stopped paying.

Dory
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: