Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

APPLES-GALORE!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: APPLES-GALORE!! Reply with quote

So for Valentine's Day this year I received around 22 Kg or 50ish lbs of apples (okay I got the new Leonard Cohen CD too). Have made 3 crisps so far with cranberries and strawberries and will be doing a few pies to be auctioned off at a presentation of The Vagina Monologues. And I've given away 6 bags of them. However I am still stuck with about 15 kg of mixed Granny Smiths/Golden Delicious/Red Delicious. What are your favourite ways of tackling a surfeit of fruit?? Drying isn't an option as I know they'd just be put away until summer humidity lead to mold. And truth be told I'm not likely to munch on more than a few over a long period of time.
georgia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: apples galore... Reply with quote

Hi David...and Everyone Else...long time no post here...Nice change to have all those sweet apples around instead of chocolate, eh? My suggestions aren't especially original, but they'll use up a lot of apples: applesauce, apple chutney, apple butter. The last, especially, will diminish your supply. The last couple of years, I've made my apple butter in a slow cooker, which eliminates the danger of scorching and has the added advantage of perfuming my house for days! Takes a looong time, though...10-12 hours or more. Then, of course, you need to process the jars in a waterbath or everything will spoil within a week or so. But, if you know how to can (or are willing to learn), it might be a partial solution.
Best regards, everyone.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Georgia.

You beat me to it with the apple butter, which would have been my first suggestion.

David, if you have freezer space, you can freeze apple slices for later use. Peel, core, and slice the apples. Acidify them in water mixed with lemon juice. Lay out on sheet pans in a single layer and freeze. Then transfer to a freezer bag.

Don't toss those peels and cores, though, because they're perfect for making apple jelly.

I also have an historic recipe for an apple cake that we really like---as does just about anyone else who's tasted it. If you want I'll post the recipe.
David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestions you two! I will check out recipes for apple butter in a slow cooker! And freezing makes perfect sense, I don't know why I thought it wouldn't work. And yes please, apple cake recipe would be great. I'm going for dinner tomorrow night and promised dessert, based on apples obviously and the host had my crisp last week at a different dinner party!
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this isn't too late, David. It doesn't take long to make, though, so you should be alright.

The original, from which this is adapted, was found in a ca 1820 hand-written cookery manuscript, and I've included it in my A Colonial Virginia Book of Cookery because it's so popular.

Colonial Apple Cake

½ cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup chopped nutes
1 tsp cinnamon
6 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
1 cup raisins

Cream shortening and sugar. Mix in the eggs. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, stirring well. Combine the apples with the batter, incorporating them evenly.

Transfer batter to a lightly buttered baking pan. Bake in a Dutch oven or home oven set to 350F until baked through and lightly browned, 35-50 minutes. Timing depends on the moisture level of the apples.
David

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Perfect comfort food baking! Will do this and report back. Sounds perfect for my Sunday dinner with the usual suspects!
David

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god! This cake is one of the nicest, tastiest and simplest things I've had! I actually followed the directions which I do admit does help. The creature baking in the oven scented the house for hours and later made my car smell of autumn while transporting it. There were 14 at dinner tonight and this wonderful cake left all satisfied and happy! Not a crumb remains. I baked it in a 9X13 glass dish to a golden brown, 50 minutes. After dinner I got several requests for the recipe which i will pass along and credit you B. E.. I photographed the final result and posted it on Facebook, and again got requests for the recipe. Asking permission to post the recipe along with creditation and provenance.

Can't thank you enough for this treasure and such a brilliant use of apple. This truly is apple cake as opposed to cake with apple. And it only took 192 years to make it to my attention.

sign me more than satisfied!
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Effusive words of praise. Can any cook ask for more?

Incidentally, if you do freeze apple slices, as I'd suggested, they work perfectly for this cake.

only took 192 years to make it to my attention.

That's like me and Weiseburger Mill, which is about 40 minutes away in the next county. But I'd never made the connection, until a friend pointed it out.

Sumagun! Turn your back for a minute and they drop a 145 year old water mill in your backyard!

You have my permission to quote the recipe, so long as you use the following credit line: "Recipe courtesy A Colonial Virginia Book of Cookery, used with permission."

That, and volume two of it, are only available through Historic Foodways. So rather than frustrate people, or if you get direct requests, they can get details as to costs, shipping, etc. from HistoricFoodways@hotmail.com.
David

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most excellent. And thanks so much for the link to HistoricFoodWays as I'd been trying to find it on Amazon.ca and Amazon.com without success (obviously). No truly this is one knock out recipe, it's so full of flavour!
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the two books, David, HistoricFoodways sells historic vegetable seeds, and special herbal sachets. Those last are based on the strewing herbs used on the floors, in colonial days, to freshen and sweeten the air.

If you send a request to the HistoricFoodways site, I'll get an order form right out to you. And to any of your Facebook friends, of course.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have apples to use up, David, here's another old-time recipe you might like. This comes from the second book in our series: A Colonial Virginia Book of Cookery Second Table.

Apple Pudding

8 apples
Butter
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 cup brown sugar
Candied lemon peel or citron
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Ground Ginger

Peel, core, and chop the apples.

Dust a buttered baking pan with breadcrumbs, then cover the bottom with brown sugar.

Add a layer of chopped apple to the pan. Dot with one tablespoon of the candied fruit. Sprinkle with a pinch each of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Repeat layering with crumbs, sugar, aples, candied fruit and spices until dish is full. Dot with butter.

Bake in a Dutch oven or home oven set to 350F for one hour.
David

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for this too! It will be given a test drive within the next 2 weeks. Have sent a request to HistoricFoodways for order and purchase information. Looking forward to the books!
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Order form was emailed to you, David. Did you get it alright?
David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Order and money order on the way kind sir.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll watch for it, David. Thanks.

Meanwhile, here's an adapted recipe that didn't make it into either of the books. Just a space thing. If we ever do a third volume, this will go into it, cuz they're really good:

Apple Fritters

2 large apples
1 cup brandy
1/4 cup sweet white wine
1/2 cup sugar
1tsp cinnamon
Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup flour
1 tbls butter, melted
1/3 cup (approx) water
Oil for frying
2 tbls superfine sugar

Pare and core apples. Cut them in half, then in slices about 1/4 inch thick.

Combine the brandy, wine, sugar, cinnamon, zest, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add the apple slices. Let stand at least a half hour, or up to several hours, turning occasionally. Drain well just before frying.

In a separate bowl combine the eggs, flour, melted butter, and enough water to make a thin batter.

Heat about two inches of oil in a skillet. When hot, add apple slices to batter, in batches, coating each slice well, and fry until golden brown on each side. Drain on a rack and, while hot, sprinkle with superfine sugar.

Note: Superfine sugar falls between regular granulated and confectioners. If you can't find it, just pulse regular sugar in the food processor a time or two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: