Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

What foods are you afraid to cook?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shut Up And Cook

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: What foods are you afraid to cook? Reply with quote

We all have those “scary foods”. The things we’re afraid to make because we failed at it once before, or because as my Uncle said to my Aunt upon his first bite, “This is not how my Mother made her pot roast”, or because we’ve just freaked ourselves out that they are “hard” and there they loom in the back of our subconscious, little culinary demons teasing and taunting us when we least expect it.

Someone recently told me that Artichokes terrified them, so did a blog post on how to tackle them, but I'd love some ideas for other culinary mosters that scare us in the night.

http://wp.me/puWta-n7

Thoughts?

www.TheAttainableGourmet.com
phyllis.chan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for me, I'm actually more afraid to cook steak as I can't seems to gauge the correct timing to cook the different levels like medium rare or medium.

What do you have to suggest? Smile Thanks!
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's actually a simple, reliable guide Phyllis.

Assuming you are right handed: Lightly touch the thumb and index finger of your left hand together. Press the ball that forms at the base of your thumb with your right index finger.

That is the feel of a rare steak.

Move your left thumb to the middle finger. Press the ball. That's medium. Move to the ring finger. That's well done.

In use, actually press the steak with your index finger, and compare it to the thumb-ball.
Shut Up And Cook

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this technique...bravo!

www.TheAttainableGourmet.com
dory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am terrified of pie crusts!!! Mine always come out so tough you need a sharp knife and a lot of energy to cut them and then you still have to chew! Talk about not fork tender! The ironic thing is my mother who has always been a terrible cook made quite acceptable pie crusts until she got Alzheimer's! WHen I make my delicious Thanksgiving squash pie (actually a New York Times recipe) I use a graham cracker crust. My crusts aren't worth eating.

DOry
dory

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also make a pretty bad lasagna. In addition, I grew up in a part of the U.S. where people ate very little fish. They now fly a lit of fish in from the coasts, but since I am what is being called flexitarian-- mostly vegetarian with some exceptions, I have never learned how o cook fish well, and it scares me.

Dory
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a simple rule of thumb for that, too. Dory.

Although there are rare exceptions, fish should be cooked for ten minutes per inch of thickness at the thickest point.

Thus, if you have a filet half an inch thick, you cook it for a total of five minutes.
dory

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I am always insecure about fish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: