Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Risotto
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cornette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Risotto Reply with quote

I made a very nice Risotto last night. With fresh spinach and blue cheese (Magor).

I wonder if you have a favorite Risotto recipe.

Cornette
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: APPLE RISOTTO Reply with quote

My lovely friend, Claire, made this dish, on a whim and she almost had to beat me off of it with a spoon! Laughing You know how protective a dog will be over it's food bowl...yeah...that bad!

APPLE RISOTTO

4-5 Cups of Chicken Stock

4 Tablespoons of Unsalted Butter

2 Tablespoons of Finely Minced Onions

1 Cup of Uncooked Italian Arborio White Rice

2 Cups of Peeled, Diced (1/4 ") Granny Smith Apples

1/3 Cup of Dry White Wine

2 Tablespoons of Freshly Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more to taste

Salt and Nutmeg to taste

1) Heat the chicken broth in a small saucepan until boiling. Adjust the heat to a steady simmer.

2) Melt 2 Tablespoons of the butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Add the onion and saute for 3 minutes. Add the rice and 1 Cup of the apples, and saute, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in the white wine and boil, stirring, until the wine is reduced by half.

3) Add enough hot broth (about 1/2 cup) to just cover the rice. Simmer and cook, stirring constantly, until almost all of the broth has been absorbed, about 3-4 minutes.

4) Continue adding broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly, until all broth is absorbed and the rice is beginning to pull away from the pan. During the last 5 minutes, add the remaining 1 cup of diced apples. Cook until creamy and centr is done. Remove from heat. Cut remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter into small pieced and stir into rice with the cheese.

To serve, offer salt, nutmeg and cheese curls to taste.
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No recipe, but I'll tell you what I put in mine:

canned pumpkin, brown rice, oats, Grape-Nuts cereal, cinnamon, salt, apple sauce, yellow corn meal, tomato paste, non-fat dry milk.

Guess you can't call it risotta anymore. So if you have to keep it risotta, just use pumpkin, tomato paste, and brown rice.
Cornette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great.
I never would have thought of a "sweet" risotto.

Cornette
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Risotto is one of those things that, once you get the proportions of liquid to rice, you just add what you've got.

I like reconsitiuted porchini mushrooms & tarragon or diced ham & asparagas or peas, sundried tomatoes & basil or fruit de mer & truffle oil. Really, whatever leftovers you've got become wonderful in risotto.

PS On the fruit de mer thing, my local Whole foods is wonderful about weighing & wrapping up 2 shrimp, some bitty little fresh clams, a couple mussles, a bit of cleaned squid, a tiny segment of firm-fleshed fish etc. and they deserve recognition and appreciation for it. It means I can make a small or modest amount of risotto with a wonderful variety of fish and not have lots of uncooked fish nagging at me from the fridge before it spoils.
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my risotto simple. I use good wine and home made chicken stock and add the best parmesan and a little unsalted butter.

But I might try the apple one - it sounds interesting.
cynthiaLW

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made lots of various risotto recipes, but recently I had a risotto at my favorite restaurant which was simple yet very delicious. It was lemon risotto with braised shrimp on top. I'm not sure about the proportions. Usually when I make risotto, I use chicken broth, and sometimes a little white wine at the beginning. I don't think this lemon risotto had any chicken broth. It was very creamy and thick, in fact, it was molded into a rounded dome with the shrimp arranged on top. Has anyone ever made a lemon risotto?
Cornette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great CyntiaLW !

I think maybe they added some mascarpone? I will try this one for sure. I use vegetable broth often with my risotto's.

Cornette
Tammy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love risotto but have never made it. You guys have inspired me to find a simple recipe and give it a go! Might even try the apple one if I dare!
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tammy wrote:
I love risotto but have never made it. You guys have inspired me to find a simple recipe and give it a go! Might even try the apple one if I dare!

Oh, do try it, Tammy! I'd only had very savory risotto's prior to this, so I was sceptical when Claire made it, thinking "It sounds like dessert!" But, it's sweet-savory, you know, like Sweet and Sour Chicken (although it doesn't taste like that, of course.) It certainly is the main dish to a meal, and isn't as sweet as you'd think. Obviously the onions, wine and cheese tone down the apples sweetness. And I never use the nutmeg; Claire does, though.

But it's such a delight, with fat curls of cheese on top and a bottle of dry white wine to wash it all down with!
David

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Tammy I've never made risotto, in fact I've only had it 3 times and liked it very much. But there must have been a conjunction of the stars a few weeks ago because one of my cooking magazines had a wonderful recipe for a porcini and cremini risotto that you made sure you had left overs of so you could make fried patties a few days later, and on the cooking show (Simple Itaian??) anyway the one with the seriously anorexic but still attractive young Italian-American woman she prepared almost exactly the same dish---------------and I've already bought the dried porcinis. Will be doing it in the next few weeks.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oy! David! Over here!!!

Please, please...pretty please... would you post the recipes for both the original risotto and the fried patties? I and my tummy would be very, very grateful.
David

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok DQ, I'll make a note to bring the mag in tomorrow (we don't have a computer at home). Oh and the skinny cook on TV also did a number where she took a ball of the leftovers, inserted a cube of mozzarella, rolled it in bread crumbs and deep fried it! Crunchy on the outside, firm and moist inside that and creamy and runny in the centre.
Sarape

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remembered that Emirl made a fancy risotta last night (Monday night). It included chicken chunks, mushrooms, a couple of different cheeses, chives, onions, hot peppers and more. It looked exotic, maybe more than what I want in my risotto.

I still can't stand his "smell-a-vision" and "bam-bam" gesturesk, however.
David

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Sarape, my impression of risotto is "simplicity" . And regarding Emeril---I just don't get what the buzz is about. Tosses in an extra clove of garlic and shouts "Bam" to great sighs and applause. I ate in one of his New Orleans restaurants a few years back and was seriously underwhelmed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: