Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Ratatouille

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Ratatouille Reply with quote

Have you guys seen clotilde's entry on oven roasting ratatouille? YUM!Ratatouille, food of the gods!

I learned to make it when I was living outside of Paris just after college. At that time it was a matter of layering all of the veggies (never had it without eggplant which clotilde describes as Niçoise-style) in a heavy pan in the order of their sturdiness. Long, slow stovetop cooking followed. It's fast, easy and yummy. I think of it as home-style 'cause it's delicious and just gets more and more delicious just as clotilde says, but it turns into a rather homogeous color and texture.

Many years later, back in the US, I learned to caramelize the onions & garlic, meanwhile sweating the raw eggplant & zucchini with salt before sauteeing them separately and then layering all for a much quicker stovetop simmer. This method is fussier to do but yields a much prettier ratatouille with each veggie retaining most of its integrity and color. It was called "Ratatouille Niçoise" (even tho it, perhaps inauthentically, [ihas[/i] eggplant) and I think I got the recipe from an issue of Bon Apetit. In my mind, this is "company" ratatouille.

I look forward to fresh tomatoes (SOON!!!) so I can try oven roasting it as clotilde is suggesting. It sounds as though it may accomplish the visual and textural plus of one with the simple prep of the other. How cool would that be!?!

So, that raises the question, does anyone know how to can ratatouille when veggies are in season? We'll soon have fresh tomatoes in SoCal. We'll be having ratatouille a lot at my house. But if we could have it when we don't have fresh tomatoes that would be SOooo awesome. What worries me, is I don't have a pressure canner and I don't know how adequate/safe the acidity of ratatouille is for water bath canning so I've never been willing to risk it.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Rainey, I was bored so I decided to look how to can ratatouille.

I found loads of sites that said "It freezes beautifully!", but NONE that said it could be canned.

I don't know if it's because freezing is so easy-peasy or if it's an acid issue, but there you have it.

Also, here's a link on ALL.THINGS.RATATOUILLE.

http://www.beyond.fr/food/ratatouille.html
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the issue is adequate acidity. We have frozen it and enjoyed it later, but I'm very low on freezer space. That's why I always hope canning will be an alternate solution.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to browse it right now. I'm always delighted to learn one more thing about ratatouille!
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Rainey: "Can you home-can ratatouille?"

NO!...according to Ball Food Company out of Indiana.

I couldn't believe that there wasn't the tiniest smidge of info on this on the net, so I went right to the souce, and emailed Ball Canning.

I just got an email back from them and this is what they said:

"Dear _____,

Thank you for your message. Our company only recommends home canning recipes that have been tested under strict conditions to ensure safety. We have not tested canning ratatouille and regret we are unable to offer any recommendations or guidelines to do so.

We appreciate you contacting us and wish we could have been of more assistance.

Sincerely,
Consumer Affairs, Ball Canning Company"

So, there you go, Rainey. I read on many forums that people can their tomatoes, to be used in ratatouille, but not the end product.

Sorry. Crying or Very sad
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was kind of you to do that. I was just thinking of trolling to see if I could get some contact info for Shirley O. Corrier (or however it's spelled). She was my best bet to have some info on how to tweak it ensure the propre acidity and good asepsis (is that even a word?).

'preciate your help. Wink
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problemo, Rainey.

If there's one thing in life you can't screw around with, it's food safety. Since I couldn't find a thing on the web about canning ratatouille, I became suspicious. So, going to Ball for the answer seemed a cinch.

My goals were simple: Find out the definitive truth AND keep you, Rainey, alive, safe and well so we could enjoy you at C & Z for years to come!
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dairy_Queen wrote:
My goals were simple: Find out the definitive truth AND keep you, Rainey, alive, safe and well so we could enjoy you at C & Z for years to come!

That's sweet. But, I assure you, although I enjoy canning food, if I don't have a tried and true recipe, I don't do it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: