Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Suggestion box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Avatars Reply with quote

Hi Clotilde,

A new poster on an Introduction thread suggested/asked about having avatar-abilitiy on this board, so that we can use the pictures to identify ourselves, our interests and our friends.

Does this site have the abilitiy? At the other message boards that I'm a member of, they all have avatars, but most are through ezboard and that may just be a bonus feature with that host.

Anyway, something to think about. And as always, thanks for providing this Global Village of Food for us to play in!

Thanks,
DQ aka Bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: this particular playground Reply with quote

And as always, thanks for providing this Global Village of Food for us to play in!

ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lovely thought DQ
Cornette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same Forum on one of my sites as this one so I know the possibility is there.

I also have Countryflags under the names and a gender sign.

I'm very willing to make as much Food and Funny Avatars as you want so you can set up your own Gallery but ofcourse its also possible for people to upload their own Avatars.

This really is a great Forum and if Clotilde wants it to stay the way it is, its still a fantastic place to be. But Avatars would be nice.

Cornette Very Happy
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear "Guest" -Thanks for the echoing of my feelings. Very Happy

Dear Cornette: Wow! I had no idea that a board could 'do' Gender Signs AND Flags....DQ rubs her hands together greedily! How cool would that be, especially helping in areas where board names are always confusing a person's gender! It's happened to me on other boards loads of times.

When I signed up, here, I looked everywhere in Personal Choices to see how to put in an avatar. But, I couldn't find anything. Let's keep our fingers crossed that Clotilde likes this idea...and the flags and gender, too.

[/quote]
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem at all, I will turn on avatars!

I have just tested it and it doesn't work yet so I need to look into it, but I like the idea and will work on it!
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo, Clotilde! Thanks so much for listening to us, your devoted followers, and making your board an even BETTER place to hang our aprons! Smile
Sarape

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh great, just what I need an avatar option. I read a classical-music forum which uses avatars and I've got one I built from an avatar image web site. I tried to make it look like me.

Well, over on the other forum, a guy replied to one of my posts with the comment about "...you are one ugly guy if that really looks like you."

Now that made my day! Sad
Cornette

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news ! If I can help by answering question don't hesitate !

I can make Avatars myself (very easy).

So nice of you Clotilde ! You are the best.

Cornette
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see, the avatars should be working now. Go to your profile, and upload away! This should be fun...

Cornette: I'm all for the flags and gender too, but couldn't find the option in the admin panel. Are you an admin for a phpBB forum too? If so, can you point me to where this is set? Thank you!
Cornette

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Clotilde.
I will look for a nice Avatar tomorrow. Yes, I am an admin of two Forums.

The gender and flags are modifications that you have to install from the phpBB site www.phpbb.com/mods .
Search in the modifications for the things you would like to add to your forum.

I have a birthdaymod (including Zodiac) , gendermod and flagsmod on my Forums.

This is fun !!
Thanks very much.

Cornette
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just testing.

Cornette: I can find pages and pages of avatars that are 96 x 96 but virtually NONE that are 80 x 80, especially my name-sake "Dairy Queen". I did a Google image search and everything is coming in at 200 x 200 pixels and I don't know how to shrink them.

Do I download a picture, toss it into Photobucket and shrink the size that way?

I chose a steaming cuppa coffee, just because I was itching to have an avatar, but it sure doesn't make me a happy camper, yet.

Hope you can help. DQ
Cornette

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shrink and adjust with two programs.
Irfanview (easy and free) and Paint Shop Pro (easy and not free).

I think Clotilde choose to have max 80 x 80 Avatars.

I don't think its possible to shrink a picture in Photobucket.

Try Irfanview. It will make you very happy. www.irfanview.com
If you have a picture of, lets say, 96 x 96, then you just tell irfanview to resize it to 80 x 80.

But if you have a picture of, for instance, 487 x 876 and you want just a part of that changed into a 80 x 80 Avatar then its easier to use Paint Shop Pro.

I highly recomment Irfanview and I also highly recommend myself if this is not you piece of cake.

Just send me the URL of the picture and I will reseize is for you.

It will take me about 10 seconds.

No prob

Cornette
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornette: I am SO glad that you found C & Z! Your expertise in TechWorld is a breath of fresh air!

I'm bound and determined to beat this Technical Gap that I have; I only bought a computer 3 years ago, to use as an e-typewriter for the Sci-Fi forum that I'm a moderator at.

All the additional "things" that computers can do (which YOU know), are almost beyond my grasp, because I've never been shown how to do them, and I don't use computers in my every day job.

I downloaded Irfanview and struggled through the options to actually reduce an image that I want, for the time being. HOWEVER, when I clicked on Properties, it comes up as a "bmp" file, not the jpg, gif or png files that C & Z allows. Now, Cornette, I no more know what I'm talking about than a parrot does, who "speaks" by simply imitating! I have NO idea what those terms (jpg, etc) mean...I'm simply parroting back what I see. I really want to learn how to do this on my own, but am only willing to spend X-amount of time doing it...cause then I just get pissed off! Evil or Very Mad So, if you can tell me how to convert a bmp file into one that C & Z accepts, I'd love to try it.

I mod at two sites that support 125 x125 pixel avatars, so it's been a No-Brainer for me to copy and paste the URL's into the avatar boxes. And, with your help, I actually got an avatar shrunk to 80 x 80. But, now I need your help in making it acceptable.

If I can't nail this by the end of the day, I'll send you the URL's so that you can wave your Magic Wand, for 10 seconds, over them so that I finally end up with an avatar.

Looking forward to your wisdom! Very Happy
Cornette

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dairy_Queen,

Try this.
You have a bmp file (bitmap) and you just save it as a jpg, gif or png by clicking the arrow on the right side of the filename box.
Because when you click on the little arrow a dropdown will open and you just click on jpg and change the extension that way.

Another way is to just click on your bmp file (once !) and then click on the right side of your mouse. Then you choose rename and change the file to a jpg ! Now it will tell you that all weird things are going to happen to your bmp.
Don't believe it. Just do it.

Thats it.
Live (and computers) are very simple once you know how to handle them.
Don't hesitate to ask.

Together we conquer the world !

Show them who's boss now.

Cornette
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornette wrote:
Dear Dairy_Queen,

Thats it.
Live (and computers) are very simple once you know how to handle them.
Don't hesitate to ask.

Together we conquer the world !

Show them who's boss now.

Cornette

You crack me up, Cornette! "Show them who's boss..."

Do you know how frustrating it is to be an expert in a field and the Village Idiot in another????!!!! I won't even begin to tell you how I finally got an avatar to 'stick' to my profile....I did change the bmp to a jpg, as you suggested, but then....through ignorance, I added about 22 extra steps to the process to get a URL, including having to go through Phototbucket to be the host of the image!

I'm going outside now....to dig a HOLE; I understand them! And then I'm pulling the soil right over me and hiding from technology for awhile!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Suggestion box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: