Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

MEXICO!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin: You're winging your way to sunny Mexico, while I'm sitting at my kitchen window, looking outside at 2" of new snow and a 16 degree wind chill! If it's heading your way, I'm so glad that YOU and Phil are in a warm place, surrounded by love!

Hmmmm, Mexican phrases....well, my entire crew of 17 guys are Mexican but the phrases I know would have me bounced off this board! Laughing

In Chicago, there's ZERO problem with Tex-Mex in our cuisine; there are so many 100% Mexican/Hispanic neighborhoods here (we live in one called Logan Square) that my crew leader smiles and says, "We never left home; home came with us!"

For the really technical recipes that are referenced above, not even the current families make them at home; they ALL go out to a restaurant to eat them. Chilie rellanos are one of those dishes that Marcellino (my crew leader) and his family don't even bother to make at home any longer because of the degree of difficulty and that modern Mexican women all have jobs and have no more time to make the stuff than their husbands. That's what abuelas are for when they come up from the Old Country, meaning Grandmothers.

I have many simple Mexican dishes that are favorites that have been made for me by my Hispanic friends. Flan is my hands down favorite, because it's like custard on *crack*...it's OVER the top! My friend, Janet, who's father is a cook for a Jewish restaurant (go figure?) makes 9 x 13" pan of flan weekly for his family to dive into. For my birthday a couple of years ago, he made one just for me, instead of a cake! I was over the moon about it.

Chilie Rellanos are a given and also, there's a very local dish where we live: Mexican Chicken soup. No matter what website I've visited, I can NOT find a recipe for this dish, which is so different than American or Jewish Chicken Soup. In fact, Tony's, our mega Mexican grocery mart, sells all the fixin's in a pre-package, for mom's to toss together, but it's only the veggie's and not the seasoning.

When you get it at a local restaurant, it comes in a bowl big enough to serve four, but it's only YOUR course; they must have a heartier appetite than I do. What's in the bowl is half of a chicken, whacked in half; an entire cob of corn, cut into four chunks; carrots; potatoes; cilantro; and a host of vegetables that I have NO idea what they are! I don't even know what they are in the grocery store and since the stafff of Tony's is NOT bilingual, I can't ask them. And the crowning touch, LIMES! Lots and lots of LIMES squeezed directly in the soup and also just floating in the soup. Lordy, my tummy is aching for a bowl of this right now!

And I can't forget Mexican Grilled Cheese: cheese quesidilla's. They are such comfort food that a couple of times per week, Sally's roommates or I are whipping up a batch for the apartment to nosh on.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your wonderful vacation, Erin. Have a safe flight for both you and Phil, coming and going.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are just about to head out thanks for all of the well wishes!

DQ, I will definitely be having some soup, it is one of my favorites. I have a recipe for it somewhere, when I get home I will find it for you. I used to date a guy who's mom was from Mexico and was a FABULOUS cook, that is where I got the recipe.

"It's hot ham water."
Feste

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dairy_Queen wrote:
Flan is my hands down favorite, because it's like custard on *crack*...it's OVER the top!

DQ, that was so funny I nearly fell out of my chair! My sweetie and I always say that there must be crack in something if we can't stop eating it, it's so good.

I may have a recipe for Mexican chicken soup kicking around somewhere. Years ago I compiled a digital cookbook for a Southwestern restaurant I worked at, and there were hundreds of recipes for the family's other restaurant, an authentic Mexican place in Los Angeles. It may take a while, but I'll have a look.

Btw, nothing can compare to tamales made with fresh, fluffy masa, soaking up a good tomatillo sauce. If I ever had to choose a last meal, that would probably be it.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin: You're a wee star for looking for the recipe! It's Sally's favorite Mexican Dish; her Scottish tongue can't take much more spicy than Chicken Soup! Laughing And if I was able to make this at home, I'd have a Happy Honey coming home.

I tried, I really, really tried, to find this recipe. I used Google, I used MSN, I tried Mexican Chicken Soup, Mexican Soup...and came up with nothing except Taco or Tortilla Soup.

I'm glad that you've arrived safely and when you have time after coming back home...safely...I'll look forward to the recipe.

FESTE: You and I posted at the identical time, so I went back in to edit this post. I guess I must be describing the soup accurately enough if both you and Erin know what I'm talking about. So, I'd love BOTH of your recipes to try; they sound authentic (from the sources you've quoted), so I have no fear that it's going to be "Betty Crocker Does Mexican", with a chicken wearing a sombero!

Now I know I'm getting an order of that soup when I'm back in the city Tuesday!
Erin

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just arrived home last night from the vacation from hell. When I last left you all I was on my way out the door to lovely Mexico. I was back through the door within hours as I forgot our passports. I will say it once, I AM AN IDIOT! As Islip airport is rather small we missed our window for that day and had to wait an extra day, thus ruining my husbands birthday. I really took the cake this time.

As we sat at home that wasted day I felt myself coming down with a head cold. As it happens I haven't been this sick in years. I spent most of my time in our hotel room sleeping or blowing my nose. Wednesday night I pulled myself together for my best friends bachelorette party that consisted of too much of a sickly sweet local rum that actually helped my cough. I being the responsible one of the group was charged by the brides mother to take care of her. That job consisted of verbally slapping a local that spent his time trying to convince various members of our party their husbands/boyfriends would never know, reminding them that you don't go anywhere with a stranger and finally herding them all back to their respective hotels......... at 5:00am. I am not sure if it was the tacos or the medication but I woke up after that with my veins bright like a road map, blue finger nails and then the vomiting. Then later the passing out, I really thought I was dying.
On the upside the wedding was so beautiful and went off without a hitch. Well there were the Federales with machine guns that walked behind the huppa as they were pronounced husband and wife. That was just kind of funny though. I also have a restaurant recommendation to anyone going to Playa del Carmen, "La Cueva del Chango". The food was amazing, I had some kind of fish in a mango sauce, ahi tostadas, empanadas and the best salsas I have ever had. Sorry the description isn't better but frankly I was still pretty out of it. They had a wonderful wine/spirits selection they had interesting infused teas and alcohol. Oh and the setting, it was like being in the jungle. There were plants everywhere, and a stream, oh and there was a monkey at the door when we first got there. There were kittens hanging around out on the patio but it didn't seem weird or gross. I think they have a website you all should check it out.
So my trip didn't go the way I wanted, oh well. Better luck next time!

"It's hot ham water."
JustMe

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no! I was sooooo looking forward to hearing about your wonderful holiday...so sorry it didn't work out as planned. But it does sound like you're still smiling so that's good...get much better soon.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, Erin, Dear....a nice bowl of chicken soup for you!

I admire your honesty, with regards to the entire trip; most people would just lie and say, "Had a great time!" But, now that you're back, don't the difficult times make for a funnier story? No? Okay, well, maybe in the future it will be funnier!

Hope that you're on the mend, and your next trip, when you post in advance, I'll take responsibility to remind you about your passports! Wink
Erin

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I am pretty absent minded but that was the first time it was something big. I could use the chicken soup too, I still have my head cold. But you are right I am still smiling suprisingly enough.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Erin! So sorry things didn't go entirely as planned, and who can predict sickness? Sounds like you made the best of a bad deal. Butnow you can enjoy your garden!
Erin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you David. I am currently trying to save my garden from a late frost. Despite my neighbor dilligently watering my veggies they were attacked and are teetering on the brink of death. I am off to my local garden center for solutions!

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: