Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

suggestions for duck eggs, please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiona

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: suggestions for duck eggs, please! Reply with quote

hello there
i was tempted by a dozen lovely free-range duck eggs this weekend, but having got them home, i'm not sure what to do with them Rolling Eyes . one plan is to make clotilde's ricotta and leek frittata, but any other suggestions, especially recipes that freeze well, would be very gratefully recieved!
cheers! fiona
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Fiona,

I wish I were as lucky as you, to have a dozen duck eggs!

Clotilde's frittatta sounds delicious. Did you know that you can freeze raw eggs? Frozen eggs can be used for scrambling, omelets and frittattas, baking,custards, etc. although they don't do well for fried eggs, or recipes where yolks and whites have to be separated, as far as I know. To freeze eggs, mix yolks and whites together until well combined. Freeze in single-egg portions, portions appropriate for multiple servings, or by weight as compared to large hens' eggs as a reference for use in recipes.

For fresh use, I can't think of any better cooking/serving method than soft-cooked, with toast fingers for dipping, as Clotilde suggested in a recent blog entry. You'd have to adjust the cooking time for size difference and done-ness preference, though.

Hope this helps!
fiona

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the suggestion, brigidsdaughter, i hadn't thought of freezing them raw. just one question, though, does it increase the risk of salmonella etc...?
i'm looking forward to soft-boiled duck eggs for a weekend breakfast treat! Very Happy
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping in mind that I'm not a food scientist, here's what I've been able to discover...If the eggs have been refrigerated properly before freezing, defrosted under refrigeration, and thoroughly cooked, I don't think salmonella would be of any more concern than in fresh eggs.

I've read that Salmonella is most likely to live on the shells of the eggs, rather than within the eggs themselves. Practicing basic kitchen hygeine is another key to preventing food-borne illnesses. Wash hands with hot, soapy water before handling food. Make sure all bowls, utensils, and freezing containers are likewise clean. Instead of breaking eggs on the edge of the bowl or freezer container, break each egg on a clean countertop or tap with a knife to break before depositing the raw egg into the bowl or freezer container. You can also wash and thoroughly rinse the raw eggs while still in the shell, but do not do this until immediately before using or freezing, as eggshells are somewhat porous and washing them removes their natural coating which prevents them from absorbing off-odors and flavors from other foods while in the refrigerator.

Hope this helps!
fiona

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, thankyou again!
the weekend breakfasts were gorgeous, by the way, i'm a complete duck egg convert!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: