Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Spice up your life!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Spice up your life! Reply with quote

What is your favorite spice or herb ?

I have several friends from various parts of India, Sri Lanka and South East Asia, and at a young age I began to learn about the culinary lifestyle in those parts of the world. As a result I have a passion for blending, roasting, grinding, pounding spices and the culture and tools behind it. My favorite spice or herb changes frequently, but today I think thyme and coriander will top the list!

"It's hot ham water."
monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

without a doubt, garlic! it can go from subtle and sweet to pungent and piquant. unless you count garlic as a vegetable. in which case, i'd be hard pressed to name an all time favorite, but, at the moment, i am enamored with fresh dill and tulsi. dill and i have a long term solid relationship, but, tulsi and i are still getting to know each other and i believe our relationship has promise.

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey,

With a spice selection of almost 80 different types, I thought I had it covered pretty well. What is tulsi? How do you use it?
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question! How lucky to learn about Indian ways of preparing and combining spices and herbs. Considering that I place garlic more in the vegetable category Smile my all-time favorite herb is rosemary -- fresh, of course. As for spice, it's Peppercorns -- So mundane, scarecely ever mentioned without its spouse Salt, its transformative powers are truly alchemical! It can be used in so many ways & in so many different foods. Even the varieties of humble peppercorn put my head in a whirl.
monkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tulsi is called indian basil or holy basil, but, i believe it is a member of the mint family. it has a mild basil-ish flavor. i was giving a perky little plant and told that it makes a tasty tea and sampled some burfi and nan adorned with its subtle flavor. i have tossed fresh leaves into pasta and over poached salmon, and i am always keeping an eye out for an opportunity to use its, but, i don't have a grasp on it's full potential. i am eager to learn more if there are any tulsi experts willing to share their knowledge.

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey,

It is pretty good with daal or added to a saute of veggies in rice wrappers. My friends mom used to make him drink tulsi infused H2O if he had a cold.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Holy Basil the one that is frequently used in Thai cooking? With a slightly aniseedy flavour?
Erin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is used in Thai a lot, in the northwest U.S. it is labled as Thai basil.

I have some amchoor powder that I got to use in my homemade chai recipe, I have so much of it and I want to use it before it starts to get old. Does anyone have any suggestions?

For any that don't know amchoor is mango powder.

"It's hot ham water."
Erin

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attention all New Yorkers or visitors!!! (or online shoppers)

As I was watching the Food Network today I learned about one of the best places to purchase spices, sauces, chutneys and syrups in the city. The name is Kalustyans at 123 Lexington Ave. in Manhattan, they also have a website, kalustyans.com. I'm telling you all when they showed this place the angels started to sing, I can't wait to hop a train and check it out!

"It's hot ham water."
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Spice up your life! Reply with quote

If it's a SPICE, than it has to be CARDAMOM. I have been in love with that fragrance and taste ALL of my life! It's used extensively in Scandinavian cooking, from sweet to savory (probably other cultures, too), and I adore it's pungent, earthy, peppery, ethereal nature. When a recipe calls for "cinnamon"...the ONLY recognized 'spice' in AmericaLand cookery, I substitute cardamom for a more subtle "What is this?!" flavour.

If it's an HERB, than it has to be LAVENDER. I literally used to save up my Baby-sitting quarters (yes! it was that long ago!) to buy Lavender during the Minnesota State Fair, once a year. I'd treasure it's scent for the next 365 days, until I could refresh my supply again, the following year. As an adult, when I found out that you could actually flavour food with LAVENDER, I freaked out! Lavender shortbread, lavender tea, lavender whipping cream, and now...a lavender-lemon muffin recipe that I found yesterday.

If I just had those two flavourings, if stranded on a desert (dessert Very Happy ) island, I'd be a Happy Camper.

If given another choice, I'd pick Cinnamon Basil. I grow 5 pots of it alone to flavour my foods.

Speaking of Herbs: I lucked out today. I was at an itsybitsy Farmer's Market today, they of the Hardy Constitution, trying to lure people in to buy plants and goods in 44 degree temperatures. I ran into a woman who grows 4 pages of exotic herbs.....for ONE DOLLAR A PIECE!!!!!!!!!!!! She's a farmer's wife who 'dabbles' in growing things, for the sure pleasure of it, and is selling Cinnamon, Lemon, Purple, Lime, Large-leafed, Mini-leafed, and Holy Basil. In mints, she's offering: Orange, Chocolate, Lime, Coconut, Spearmint, Kentucky, Peppermint, and Pineapple Mint. Plus, she's growing scented geraniums so that I can make my famous Rose Geranium Rice Pudding...a flavour to die for.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a TOUGH question! But, fortunately, there's no need to be restricted to just one. I love turmeric, cumin, cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg like I love life. Basil, of course!

Other things are just as essential to me with particular foods: carrots & fresh tarragon, split pea soup with marjoramand cucumber slices & dill come to mind.

Great topic!
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to chose just one spice it would be nutmeg and my one herb would be Italian (flat leaf) parsley.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it so interesting to see which spice and herb people have chosen; I must say, I'm surprised by the variety. Now, if we all bring our chosen one to a dinner party, we'll have a full pantry! Laughing
simona

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cilantro. I can't explain why, but smelling and tasting this herb, "sends" me somewhere far away. I love it especially added to a simple tomato/ onion/olive oil salad. And I love it in meat balls, or Thai food. But my husband is really allergic to it , he loathes this herb, so I don't buy it, he can smell it even when it's wrapped up in the fridge. Fortunately, he used to travel a lot ( he's more home-bound these days) and I used to have splurges of cilantro an garlic when he was away.

No more war, more herbs and spices in our lives!
JustMe

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BASIL!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: