Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

What's for Dinner?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: What's for Dinner? Reply with quote

So, what are you C&Z forum-folk cooking? I think this would be a fun ongoing topic! Dinner here was poblano chicken with garlic & onion rice pilaf.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: on our plates tonight Reply with quote

While I know the pizza has changed over the years..and there are folk who reckon that's a criminal offence ~ tonight we feast on oven-roasted vegetable pizza with a little pesto. that covers the vegetarians and a couple of wiesswurst as well, for the meat eater...

Imagine a Chocolate and Zucchini potluck supper! Well, it's one step closer than if I hadn't imagined it!!!

I hope you all enjoy your dinner tonight.
mary g

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: dinner tonight Reply with quote

Tonight I'm going to make a potato and chard soup--sort of throw it together, some onions, chicken broth, milk, maybe a grating of cheese at the end, and some fresh chopped basil on top.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's spring in Adelaide, so it's asparagus season.

Last night I cooked a simple Asparagus Risotto, using verjuice instead of wine.

If I was bringing dessert for our C&Z potluck supper, I'd make little soft-centred chocolate puddings. This is one of my favourite dinner party dessert recipes, and also one of the easiest. Make the batter, pour into muffin tins and freeze till ready to cook. It's from a Gourmet Traveller magazine, so I might be breaching copyright by writing it down here, but if anyone wants the recipe, email me.
Joni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight we're having left over baked ziti. I just love a hearty pasta dish on these brisk fall evenings. Very Happy
Albacore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight will be clear-out-the-fridge night. I'm picking the rest of the duck meat from the carcass of yesterday's roast and serving it in rice-paper wraps, with a mushroom and escarole soup on the side.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made roasted chicken with lemons, olives and garlic. I rubbed the chicken down with thyme, lavender, olive oil, kosher salt and a few others. Then after roasting everything I added the drippings to some merlot, reduced it and pulsed it with the roasted garlic, and lemon, poured it over the chicken and added the olives. To start we had roasted squash soup with honey, cayanne toasted walnuts.

Tonight it will be onions melted with balsamic on olive bread, fennel soup, and pecorino shavings on the last of my homegrown tomatoes.

"It's hot ham water."
noodlebowl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Curry pilaf with lamb and vegetables Reply with quote

Its a Sunday, my traditional cook up a storm day. I will be making some banana oat muffins, a pilaf for dinner and a sourdough platter for lunch. My boy is making me breakfast - a crunchy raisin english muffin with half a slice of cheddar.

So lamb pilaf with vegetables - saute onions and curry paste, add meat, brown, coat rice grains in delish oil flavours and add stock. Simmer for a while and add vegetables and dried fruit mix. YUM!
David

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight it will be leftover boeuf bourguignon with buttered noodles. I used the recipe from Ina Garten's new "Barefoot in Paris", easy and surprisingly quick! (and delicious needless to say)
Erin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Is it the traditional method for making boeuf bourguignon, unlike in The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook? I have to get the new one!

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erin!
Well it is fairly traditional but Ms. Garten has speeded the process up somewhat. I can remember years ago following a torturous lengthy recipe that took much of the day and resulted in a dry, stringy stew (her own problem with b.b. it turns out) Mind you had I had a proper cooking vessel at the time it might not have been near as saddening. Anyway, Ina starts the recipe on the stove, par-cooking bacon, searing the beef, removing same adding carrots and onions, flaming with 1/2 cup of cognac, adding 750 mls wine and enough beef broth to cover, then tossing the pot in a 250 degree oven for only 1 1/2 hours. She then returns it to stove top where she adds 1lb of mushrooms which have been browned in oil and a bag of frozen(!!!!!) pearl onions. simmering for 15 minutes then adding a roux of butter and flour to thicken. I admit to keeping it in the oven for over 2 hours to reduce it a bit more, and i used fresh shallots instead of yellow onions in the initial stage and ignored the pearl onions altogether. Turned out a nice, rich hardy meal with steamed potatoes suitable for our not overly food adventurous son and daughter in law. Must say the 2 year old grandson wasn't overly impressed but he did like the Ben and Jerry Cherry Garcia ice cream I gave him after!!
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen pearl onions, I think I would have ignored them as well.

"It's hot ham water."
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight's dinner is lamb shanks braised in the crockpot with onion, garlic, tomatoes, red wine & herbs de provence. I'll add some tinned white beans near the end of cooking. Green salad with meditearranean olives and marinated artichoke hearts, as well as crusty bread to go with. Yum. Love food like this on crisp autumn evenings.
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night's late supper, inspired by Clotilde's blog entry about crepes & various forum topics:

Warm sri-racha shrimp sandwiches on hard rolls
Salad
Lemon-glazed crepes

I made some sri-racha butter & sauteed peeled shrimp, celery & scallion in it. Stuffed shrimp mixture into hollowed-out hard rolls, added some grated monterrey jack cheese & popped them into the oven til warm & melty. I think goat cheese would have been even better.

Put some butter, powdered sugar, fresh lemon juice + zest & brandy in a saute pan. When melted & combined, I dipped crepes into it, quarter-folded them & cooked quickly til the sauce was syrupy. Served with powdered sugar sifted on top, a lemon wedge & a cup of espresso.

Quick & easy, if you have prepared crepes on hand. I like to make a bunch of them at once, then freeze.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: