Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Risotto
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Ha poor DQ!! So happy it turned out well! and now you know for next time.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right about that! Next time, I'm taking her to McDonald's first and then the risotto can be her appertif! She did that with a salmon-artichoke-pesto pasta I made, too. Her plate looked like the serving dish, and when I set it out in the middle of the table, with two other plates for us, she said, "What are the additional plates for?"

Mind you, she weighs 102 pounds, soaking wet. Shocked
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided despite the warm weather I am making a porcini risitto tonight. I am pretending it is fall, maybe I will have some cider with dessert.

"It's hot ham water."
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was wondering if anyone has tried adding a square of unsweetened chocolate in their risotto? I've added a square to a batch of oatmeal and thought it worked. But, dark chocolate in risotto?

I don't want it sweet, but I'm thinking the flavour might be interesting.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, never added chocolate, but I've added mascarpone, which my Italian friends swear is added in Italy. By the way, I love that "mascarpone" comes from the Spanish "mas que bueno" which means more than good!
Cornette

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We eat ricepudding, so why not try a sweet risotto as dessert.
I can imagine apples, sugar and cinnamon or other fruits.
Ofcourse you leave out the stock and add milk and cream.

Cornette
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love risotto and quite often make it, but never sweet ones.

You have converted me now and I am making the apple risotto on friday when it is my turn to cook at the club. Posted the menu today and so far have a lot of people coming in. Does this recipe double and triple well? Normal risotto (savoury type) can be multiplied easily, and in fact I never use a recipe for it as it is so easy. Friday I will be following the recipe which is a big deal for me. Will try not to take poetic licence with it and start changing ingredients.

Thank you for the tasty menu idea! Will let you know how it goes down with everyone.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie: You're so welcome! I wouldn't call the Apple Risotto "sweet"; in Scandinavian cooking, fruit is used with savory dishes all the time. I think with the salt and chicken broth, it's a combination of Sweet/Savory.

Good luck with it! I've never attempted to double or triple any risotto recipe, because I've never had the need to do so. If you've had experience doing so, than I think it will work.

People will be knocked out by the apple risotto and sing you praises!
Sarape

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember growing up around my Italian grandmother and watching her make risotto. She was from Northern Italy, so her tomato sauce was orange in color and my grandmother always added those canned mushrooms to her risotto.

Speaking of double or triple batches, my grandmother used to make it in the largest stock pot. I think it was a 24 quart monster. She used one or two of the large-size (24 Oz.) cans of Country Inn Chicken Broth.

Those Italians always thought big. When my grandfather built us a picnic table for our new yard (this was back in 1966), it was about 20 feet long and could seat about 14 people.
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of a sweet risotto. When I make rice pudding, I cook it for a very long time so that it soaks up almost all the milk it's cooked in. I suppose that is similar to what Cornette is describing, though I usually make mine slightly less sweet than a dessert so I can have it for breakfast.

In terms of what I put in my risotto, I agree simple is best. I made it once with dry chorizo (thinking it was not a dried sausage) and ended up boiling the sausage to give it a consistency more like that of sausages I usually use. I then cooked the risotto in the sausage-water and added the sausages later on in the cooking. It was spicy and delicious.
Erin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My porcini risotto was so yummy. I drizzled a lot of truffle oil over the top, I was in heaven.
Sweet risottos are pretty common and used as a dessert or breakfast. The dish is infinitely versatile, you can really do anything with it.

"It's hot ham water."
JustMe

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Amalthea wrote:
When I make rice pudding, I cook it for a very long time so that it soaks up almost all the milk it's cooked in. I suppose that is similar to what Cornette is describing, though I usually make mine slightly less sweet than a dessert so I can have it for breakfast.

RICE PUDDING!!! My mother used to make a rice pudding with left-over rice. I would swear it was an Uncle Ben's recipe but I have never found it nor any other recipe as good. It had a brown skin on top: my favourite part! And it was always better the next morning: cold for breakfast.

Who has a good rice pudding recipe they'd like to share?
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made risotto once. It was one of the more brutal cooking experiences ever! Everyone says how easy it is to make, but my memory is stirring the pot continously for 45 minutes, passing out at least twice from the heat, and then the end result was disappointing. I'd love to try again if it really is easy, but what's the secret everbody in the world knows but me?
Erin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago Bear,

Risotto should not take longer than 20 minutes once it is in the pot. First in a separate pot simmer 4 cups stock,and 1cup white wine until ready for use. Then heat up oil and add 1 onion diced and some garlic, then add 1 1/2 cups rice and sautee until the whole grain is opaque. Next add stock just a few ladles at a time barely covering the rice. Let it cook in between stirring gently so it won't stick, also keep it on medium heat. When it has almost soaked up all the stock it is done, you don't want it to be dry and sticky like regular rice. Turn heat low or off and stir in cheeses, herbs or what ever you come up with. Make sure you use a short grained rice such as Arborio. This is the most basic risotto you can make, once you master it you will be able to make anything. I really hope this was helpful.

"It's hot ham water."
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm willing to give it another try. Erin, thanks so much for the help. I was researching stuffed calamari last week, and the best recipe seemed to be one from Bobby Flay that had a couscous base. But maybe--if the risotto turns out to be tasty--I could use that to stuff the little guys. The stuffing doesn't really get cooked anymore since the calamari is either grilled or sauteed quickly at high heat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: