Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Favorite choices for food and drink our first day in Paris?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrammaSara

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Favorite choices for food and drink our first day in Paris? Reply with quote

We have been married 39 yrs. and will be visiting Paris for the first time. Will be staying two weeks the end of November, 2005.
Wondering what kinds of selections others would put at the top of their lists of food and drink not to be missed.
Thanks,
Sara
Dawna

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been ten years since I was in Paris (whimper!), but I always adored the lunch at the charming Cafe Quasimodo, on rue de la Cite (I think - just up from Notre Dame). Their blanquette de veau is fantastic (served over noodles, not rice), and the escargot were also delicious.

I wish I were there right now!
simona

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I don't know where you are going to stay in Paris. But maybe, after recovering from your jet-leg, your first food destiny should be a market, the nearest market from your hotel, just to taste, smell, feel, see first hand what is the origin of the famous french food: the fresh ingredients, the great variety of product. Then, just sit in the nearest cafe, and drink your first coffee and croissant beurre . What could possibly be more parisian than that. The tour Eiffel can wait for another hour or so.
Bon voyage,

No more war, more croissants beurre and tartines
richardab

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Try this Reply with quote

I think your first dinner in Paris should be a good one. I have two ideas on my blog from when i was in Paris.

The first is L'Endroit, a cozy wine bistro near the Bastille.

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartparis/2004/11/lendroit.html

The second is Le Caveau de l'Isle, 36 rue Saint Louis en I'Isle (lovely location)

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartparis/2004/11/le_caveau_de_li.html

Whether you go on your first day or any day thereafter, i think you will like both of these.

My websight "i heart paris" has a bunch of other restaurant ideas, just click on the link PARIS-EAT on the left column.

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartparis
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite choices for food and drink our first day in Par Reply with quote

For French "country-style" cooking, provided you like meat, I would suggest Chez Henri. It's a bistro in St-Germain-des-Pres with the best potatoes Gratin in the world. 16 Rue Princesse, Metro Mabillon.

I would also recommend Les dessous de la robe, a wine bar with truly excellent food on Rue Bertin Poiree, near Chatelet-Les Halles. I have a review of it on my blog:
http://noshesthoughtsreves.blogspot.com/2005/04/les-dessous-de-la-robe.html.

But most of all, wander the streets, stop into boulangeries for an afternoon snack and savor all the new smells and tastes you'll encounter. Enjoy.
melinda

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheese, cheese, cheese........the type u can't get in the us (i don't know where ur comin from) but the camemberts, pont l'eveques & others in the "stinky" category that aren't pasturized r soooo much better than anything that we can get ....so grab a baguette and pick up a pastry for dessert & voila....your first meal.....don't forget to pack ur swiss army knife and maybe some plastic spoons for various yogurts....and mousses u can buy in markets (i love the chestnut ...also something we can't get here)
MileHigh

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to second melinda's suggestion - cheese, bread & wine!!

A friend and I rented an apartment for a week and the first thing we did was go out and find the market, wine shop and bakery - first things first!!
simona

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GranmmaSara, after reading all our suggestions for your first meal in Paris, including mine ( market+ local cafe), I suddenly realized that it is what we like to eat :you did not tell us what you would like to eat ,what you dreamed when choosing Paris for your 39th anniversary trip. Do you like fancy food, would you like popular food, fancy restaurants, just bistros? Are you meat lovers, sea food lovers, vegetarians? Maybe so, some of us could make really helpful suggestions. Anyhow, I'm sure you'll love Paris. everybody does.
GrandmmaSimona ( I have three of them , how many do you have?)

No more war, more people enjoying Paris, good food and a good life!
GrammaSara

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the responses.
We like all kinds of food and are looking forward to trying many new things, but are not planning to go to any extravagantly expensive restaurants.
I was just curious about what others consider as their favorite foods to enjoy in Paris.
We have 6 grandchildren, and another on the way.
wnissen

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: How about a crepe? Reply with quote

A quintessentially French food to enjoy is a hot, fresh crepe. Usually there is at least one stand near the Eiffel Tower, and I can think of few things better than a warm crêpe au sucre (crepe with granulated sugar), or with confiture (jam) or, if you're feeling especially decadent, nutella and banana. Thus fortified, you'll be up for the long lines of the tower...

Walt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: