Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Ismail Merchant....his spirit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Ismail Merchant....his spirit Reply with quote

His sweet open face I am remembering. The exquisite films he, along with James Ivory, brought us. What a team...

"The Remains of the Day"....imagine the experience of working on that set...with all those creative souls.

Dear Ismail has died. My tears flow....in thanks for his life.

Seemingly sad, yet joyous that I've had the opportunity to sip of the wonder of those films...

from The Guardian:

Away from the film set, Merchant was most likely to be found in the kitchen. He liked to combine his two passions and was well-known for getting his cast and crew to bond by cooking gigantic Indian feasts. He freely admitted using food to get actors to do his bidding.

"If there is a ritual, people feel good," he told the Guardian in 1994. "But the cooking often happens by way of fun.

"I enjoy cooking, there is not just an ulterior motive. Naturally, during the course of discussion, finance becomes a part of it."

He wrote numerous cookbooks on Indian, French and Italian cooking. He also chronicled his film-making adventures in books such as My Passage from India: A Film-maker's Journey from Bombay to Hollywood and Beyond.

He was made commandeur de l'ordre des arts et des lettres by the French government.

An Australian, Graham Kennedy, died yesterday. He was in the same league as Johnny Carson. Noeline Brown a dear friend of his helped care for him...
"Brown said being a celebrity was something Kennedy never got used to.

He was always very uncomfortable with celebrity and I don't think the press was very happy about that because they wanted him to be the star," she said.

"He was only happy when he was working but, as soon as the job was over, he just wanted to be anonymous."

Kennedy had a "magnificent quality with the camera", she said, and his legacy would live on.

"His genius really was the fact that he could talk to the television camera as if it was his dearest and oldest friend."

"He was fading and his lungs were full of water. It's a terrible thing to see somebody with pneumonia," she told ABC radio.

"But he'd come to and he'd make a joke.

"I said: 'What did you say, darling? Did you say whisky?' He said: 'No, gin and tonic.'

Today I will imagine Ismail and Graham chatting...oh what a conversation that will be...may they journey well....my heart hugs all those who are feeling their deaths so intensely...

merci lads.

Last edited by madameshawshank on Thu May 26, 2005 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it sad. Mum emailed me to say that Graham Kennedy was dead. I think all Australians who are over 30 (or so) can remember him on tv. He was always so funny and didn't need to resort to nastiness to be amusing.

Noeline Brown was a very good friend to him wasn't she. I can remember a few year ago when he became very ill, she started taking over his care. If only we all had friends like that the world would be the most wonderful place.

Remains of the Day is one of those movies which just tugs at your heart. I love it.

Maybe we need to all raise a glass of champagne to their memory, (as was suggested in a previous forum talking about rituals around death).
Sarape

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson were wonderful in Remains of the Day. There's a scene where Hopkins is holding a book and Thompson is curious about what he's reading and she's approaching him and he's backing away into a corner trying to conceal the book.

He made some good literary movies which portray such a elegant part of life which we hardly ever experience anymore -- well, most of us never experienced that kind of life.
David

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they brought civility and quality to popular film...I can't imagine one without the other, very sad and so soon.

I remember Graham Kennedy from the '70's! Unlike any other television host I had ever seen, so unlike us dour Canadians! Sorry to hear of his passing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: