Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The Long Lost Tarte aux Pistaches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Air

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: The Long Lost Tarte aux Pistaches Reply with quote

When I was in Paris about 2 years ago, I had the most amazing 'Tarte aux Pistaches' at a little bakery on avenue de Flandre (near the Kyriad hotel). I was wondering if anyone could help me with either the name of the bakery and/or a recipe for a similar pistachio pie?

Thanks! Smile
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: hope! Reply with quote

OK..here's my idea ~ we keep this post on top of the forum until the recipe appears! It sounds sooooooooo delicious.

I'm wondering if it's anything like Clotilde's "Tarte Pomme Pistache" which she wrote of on Jan 17 this year ~ you could try that and see...

Pistachio paste! may it find its way to me ~ would the cuisine angels make an effort please Very Happy
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pistachio paste? Where? Madame if it is in Paris I WILL find it! I love pistachios. Prefer them to all other nuts. There is a fabulous little shop here in Montmartre which sells all sorts of nuts and grains and dried fruits. Will go and see if they have this paste. I have to try it now, you have got my taste buds demanding this treat.

This bakery seems to be in the 19th arrondissement. Wow, what on earth were you doing out there? Is there something I am missing? I have always found it to be just an average part of Paris and the science and industry park is out there. Maybe I have to revise my opinion....

Will make a note to myself and get back to you re this in the next week or so. I live in 18th so it is not far to the 19th. Maybe Clothilde will know of this bakery and beat me to it?
Air

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the enthusiastic responses!

Well long story short, it was a short of 'average' area, but I didn't know that until I got there Rolling Eyes but hey when you see a patisserie and its around lunch time...well, y'know...hehe. I just can't believe I forgot the name of the place!

I think it did have pistachio paste or some kind of frangipane filling?

I was kind of looking at this recipe...except perhaps without the cherries?
[url] http://www.godiva.com/recipes/recipe_zoom.asp?id=572 [/url]

I will keep you updated on my search! Very Happy
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say but WOW!!!!! I like the idea of really moist cherries on the frangipan and the crunchy pistachios sprinkled over the top.

I will be over that side of town next week do will try and find the bakery and write down the name. Tomorrow or thursday I will check out the little store near us for the pistache paste.

Thankyou for the link to that site...... I think...... I can see a whole lot of weight gain coming on....
Katrina

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This idea of a pistachio tarte sounds absolutely delicious, and I had to get my hands on a recipe and all the necessary ingredients!

None of the recipes on epicurious.com (usually a great resource) used pistachio paste, which I think would make for a richer tarte. Instead, they added chopped pistachios. I would prefer using pistachio paste. My good friend recently made pistachio ice cream with pure pistachio paste that she got from a website called www.lepicerie.com. The paste is great because it doesn't contain any added sugar, so you can control the amount of sugar you put in and avoid an over-sweetened end result. I ordered some of the paste, and have been dying to use it--I think it could be great in a pistachio tarte.
I'll continue the search for a recipe, and Debbie please let us know if you find the bakery; I am going to Paris later this summer and would love to stop by!
Bekbeka

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Debbie...are you able to pass on the name of the shop you mention in Montmartre that sells nuts, grains, etc. It sounds like a shop I would like to know about, to track down at a later date. If you can remember, that would be great - thanks.
Air

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, its been a crazy busy week but I was able to test out that Godiva recipe...it was SOOO good! Not quite the same as the one I'm thinking of but delicious all the same. I made a few observations:

1. The tart needs some kind of topping..I didn't use any, and it turned out slightly golden-brown as opposed to the nice green colour I was after. I think I remember the original having crust.

2. The filling needed to be about 3 times the volume, and more fluffy and crumby rather than "chunky & nutty". I think this is where the pistachio paste comes in instead of ground pistachios. I'm not sure how the volume was achieved, perhaps a different kind of flour/ more filling...I don't know whether it would be necessary to blind-bake the shell with more filling, but I know I need to use a deep pie pan instead of my tiny tart pan.

I took pictures of the escapade lol, I will post them as soon as I can.

And the delicious journey continues! Very Happy
Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I have been flat out this week and haven't had time to pop into the nut shop. Will do so tomorrow if it is open.... here in Montmartre the food shops are quite often open on a sunday, so they close on monday..... if I miss it on monday will check it out later in week.

I will be over in the area of the bakery on thursday. If I can manage I will do a walk by and see if I can spot the shop. Might have to do some serious taste testing if I find it. Will bring a piece home and post a photo if I think I have the right one. I am going on a tour and not sure exactly what time it finishes, so if I run out of time after the tour I will just go there the week after.

My schedule is chaotic over next week, so if you don't hear from me - email me a reminder! I promise I wll definately go there the week after if I can't make it this week.

Have a nice week
Feste

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would pistachio paste be similar to pistachio butter? My local Trader Joe's carries many nut butters, including pistachio, but I haven't had the occasion to buy it yet. The recipes sound delicious though!
Air

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you so much Debbie! I have my fingers crossed that you find it!!

As for the nut butter/paste question I'm really not sure, it seems to me that nut butters are usually more runny when you stir them with their oil that gathers on the top. Perhaps the paste contains more solids? I'm just hazarding a guess though... Rolling Eyes
cocoaloco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: pistachio paste Reply with quote

My guess is that pistachio paste is similar to almond paste and that means it contains sugar.
I'm glad this discussion came up because it reminds me of a yummy dessert I had at a Lenotre bakery one June afternoon in Paris. Pretty greenish hued pistachio genoise sandwiched with pistachio paste, pastry cream and strawberries. Striking and delicious. The topping was like a fondant, but could have been paste. At the time, I vowed I would try to replicate it at home, but that was two years ago and I forgot -- that is, until your pleasant reminder.
The challenge is this: How do I manage to shell enough pistachios to use for cooking without eating them right then and there?

[quote="Air"]Thank-you so much Debbie! I have my fingers crossed that you find it!!

As for the nut butter/paste question I'm really not sure, it seems to me that nut butters are usually more runny when you stir them with their oil that gathers on the top. Perhaps the paste contains more solids? I'm just hazarding a guess though... Rolling Eyes[/quote]
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cocoaloco- For those of us in the States, pistachio paste is available at King Arthur Flour. They do mail order and if you haven't ordered from them before you'll find their catalogue a treasure trove of things for bakers. And pistachio paste is also sometimes available at Whole Foods Markets if you have one of those in your area.
creampuff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Arthur will do mail order from overseas. Check out the forum on American ingredients in Paris for the details and the phone number to use.

If you live near a Trader Joe's, they have great unshelled raw and roasted pistachios available by the bag very reasonably.

The whole concept is yummy, I am looking forward to trying out whatever the ultimate recipe ends up being.
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creampuff- I'm glad to hear that but the shipping expenses to California keep me from ordering as often as I'd like. I would imagine overseas shipping expenses would be enough to curl your hair!

Have you done it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: