Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Sour Cream

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptegan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Sour Cream Reply with quote

Hi all !

It's not often that I need help but I've come a little unstuck !

Does anyone know what I can use as an alternative to 'sour cream' here in Paris? Somethng off my local Franprix shelf if possible Smile

Thanks !
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has the same texture as crème fraîche but I suppose you would want to add some acid for the difference in flavor. What would fit into the recipe? Lemon juice, vinegar, a bit of wine, etc?

Many people here in the US use plain yogurt. I'd choose a whole milk yogurt. This is closer to the flavor of sour cream but doesn't hold up to heat as crème fraîche would.

Last edited by Rainey on Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening!

Full cream creme fraische and light creme fraische have different flavours.

I had the same problem when I moved here. I love sour cream and ate it constantly (my husband reckons I ate it with everything) in Australia.

Try the different brands and fat percentages in creme fraische and you will find one that appeals to your taste buds most as a sour cream substitute. I pick mine up from the Franprix. The different supermarkets all have their own brands, so shop around as well.

If you cannot find one at Franprix, try your local fromagerie. I am in Montmartre, so quite spoilt for choice with individual fromagerie's. We also have alot of (very tiny) supermarket type stores.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: