Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Helpful Hints
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustMe

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: And may I suggest..... Reply with quote

I made something similiar recently & the recipe suggested that it should be served with "framboise", a raspberry wine. Let me tell you....it was divine! I also had my first taste of port along side a similar dessert...also divine.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm continually on the search for anything that helps me in the kitchen. Last Christmas season, I was in OFFICE DEPOT, getting stationary when I found this item at the check-out. http://olin.msu.edu/images/infopages/soup.gif Click on the various links under "Original" to see the various options. I think that all office supply stores should carry this so it should be easy to locate.

I bought one, used it that week, and then bought 3 more for myself and 20 more of them for friends. The selection is amazing: they range in price from $1.99 to $4.99 for the ones like little snow globes.

For my cooking friends, I enclosed a recipe in the slot, with the cookies that the recipe tied into. For office friends, I simply put their Christmas card inside of it.

This product is AWESOME when you are moving all around the kitchen for various tasks, but need to have the recipe nearby. I'll print out multiple copies of a recipe, and place on of them in the stand up, so I don't have to keep moving the recipe all around the place. Or, if the recipe is multiple pages, with two important tasks on the bottom of one page and the other task at the very top of the next, I'll have the two pages side by side.

For such a cheap product, it's a God Send when you need all hands available and have individual recipes that need to be visable.

Just thought I'd pass on some info on this cool product.

JustMe

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I must be missing something...when I click on the link I get a picture of chicken soup: I would've thought that Erin had eaten that soup already. Laughing
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I steam veggies or boil potatoes I reserve the cooking water that's left over for stocks. If necessary I boil them down to intensify the flavor then I put them through a coffee filter so I can use them in something I hope will be more clear or something more on the potage-y side.

If I'll use them rather quickly, I just put them in a Mason jar in the fridge. If I think it will be a while until I get back to them I freeze them in a plastic deli container until solid and then pop them out into a zip lock bag. I add them to my chicken or beef stock as water that's already got some depth of flavor.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My computer was playing "Silly Buggers" (as Sally would say) on Monday, and hence Erin's Chicken Soup!

Here's the actual link....again. http://www.mypageup.com/english/products.htm

Click on all the different verisons. I have one by my computer, and two in the kitchen to hold recipes.
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran across this handy compendium of everything everyone should know about freezing food. http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/05/18/FDG92CNQ021.DTL I thought it might come in handy for someone else.

And speaking about "freezing" and "hints", did anyone happend to try that banana ice cream I mentioned earlier? I finally got enough bananas last night and made a batch. I layered the frozen ice cream from the freezing can in an airtight container drizzling on fudge & caramel sauces and bits of crumbled toffee. It is sooooo good! Just like a banana split on a spoon!

The nice thing about it is it has so much fresh fruit that you can feel semi-virtuous about indulging in it.
Sarape

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a useful article about freezing.

I learned last summer that watermelon and cantelope don't freeze well. No surprise.

Also learned that freezing applesauce in empty coffee cans isn't a good idea. The inside of the can grew a layer of spoiled applesauce. I still used nearly all of it, but it wasn't attractive.

Sweet corn did freeze well -- either blanched or raw.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another useful link to have under "Favorites", when you're searching about info on herbs.

It's from that old stand-by: McCormick Spices. I have the link on a main page; just click on each individual herb to find out about it. It came in handy when I was researching chervil for Feste's potato salad recipe.

http://www.mccormick.com/content.cfm?ID=10109
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: