Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Potato Salad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feste

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I know I'm a bit late for Memorial Day, but I am passionate about potato salad and had to offer my favorite recipe! I do not dislike a mayo-dressed potato salad, but after I made this one, from Cook's Illustrated, I have not made a single other recipe!

The method's totally unorthodox, as Cook's Illustrated often is.

FRENCH POTATO SALAD WITH DIJON MUSTARD AND FINES HERBES

2 lbs small (2") red potatoes, unpeeled, scrubbed, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
2 tbsp salt
1 clove garlic, peeled and threaded on skewer
1 1/2 tbsp champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 small shallot, minced
1 tbsp minced fresh chervil (or extra parsley and tarragon)
1 tbsp minced fresh parsley
1 tbsp minced fresh chives
1 tsp minced fresh tarragon

Place potatoes, 6 cups cold tap water, and salt in large saucepan; bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium. Lower skewered garlic into simmering water and partially blanch, about 45 seconds. Immediately run garlic under cold tap water to stop cooking; remove garlic from skewer and set aside. Continue to simmer potatoes, uncovered, until tender but still firm (thin-bladed paring knife can be slipped into and out of center of potato slice with no resistance), about 5 minutes. Drain potatoes, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water. Arrange hot potatoes close together in single layer on rimmed baking sheet.

Press garlic through garlic press or mince by hand. Whisk garlic, reserved potato cooking water, vinegar, mustard, oil, and pepper in small bowl until combined. Drizzle dressing evenly over warm potatoes; let stand 10 minutes.

Toss shallot and herbs in small bowl. Transfer potatoes to large serving bowl; add shallot/herb mixture and mix gently with rubber spatula to combine. Serve immediately.

I adjust this recipe slightly, as I adore celery, dill and chopped pickles in my potato salad, but the method I keep the same. The magazine also has variations: "French Potato Salad with Arugula, Roquefort, and Walnuts," "[FPS] with Fennel, Tomato, and Olives," and "[FPS] with Radishes, Cornichons, and Capers." I haven't tried any of them, but I'll post them if anyone wants.

Thank you for all the suggestions and recipes and, of course, the lively discussions!
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these fascinating variations make me so glad I asked! This is one I will definitely be trying.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feste wrote:
Now, I know I'm a bit late for Memorial Day, but I am passionate about potato salad and had to offer my favorite recipe! I do not dislike a mayo-dressed potato salad, but after I made this one, from Cook's Illustrated, I have not made a single other recipe!

Feste: This recipe sounds amazing! And NO MAYO!!! I've already printed it out and plan to try it soon. Thanks for all the time it took to type it out; now I need to plant some chervil in my herb garden.
DrMell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Feste, that sounds wonderful!

I heart Cook's Illustrated.
Dawna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a proud owner of every issue of Cooks Illustrated, I'm sort of shocked that I haven't tried this out. Well, as soon as the weather sorts itself out, this is at the top of my to-do list!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: