Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

feast of dairy food - Shavuoth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simona

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: feast of dairy food - Shavuoth Reply with quote

This is an appeal for the ultimate cheese cake!!!
Next week we celebrate a very holy feast: the commemoration of the giving of the Law- the Ten commandments- to Moses on Mount Sinai. Shavuoth - weeks in hebrew- takes place 7 weeks after Passover
( Sheva= seven/ Shavua= week - 7 is an important number in jewish tradition). It is also a festival of the first harvest, because it is the time the farmers in Israel would bring their first fruits ( harvest) to the temple in Jerusalem as a token of Thanksgiving. Today small kids are dressed in white, with flowers in their hair and little basket of fruits they bring to the kindergaten or primary school.
The food eaten on this day symbolizes milk and honey and is made mainly of dairy products, ( maybe also because milk from livestock was plentiful this time).
So next week, cheese stuffed pancakes, cheese quiches, and especially cheese cakes are on everyones table. I brought great cheese from Italy which I intend to serve with a chilled white wine , but.....
I'm still searching for the ultimate cheese cake or cheese anything you may suggest, don't count the calories please!
Thanks and Hag Sameah ( Happy Feast ) to all the cheese eaters!

No more war , no more hunger in the world
creampuff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What style of cheese cake are you looking for?

New York Style
Italian
Flavored (chocolate, caramel, pumpkin, etc.)
Low Fat

Maybe a honey flavored one in honor of the holiday?

Let us know and we'll see what we can do!
simona

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello creampuff and Hag Sameah to you.
Honey flavoured? Yes, Yes. New for me.
But also any special mother's cheese cake anyone likes., one with the little personal secret that gives it the real special taste.
Thanks

No more war, more homey cheese cakes
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it eggs are OK for "dairy"?

This is the first cheesecake I ever made and remains a great basic one. I guess it's what you'd call New York or deli style. It's from a collection that James Beard made. He doesn't say where he got this particular recipe or if he originated it but he calls it:

Dream Cheesecake

• 1/4 c butter or margarine, melted
• 1 c fine graham cracker crumbs
• 1 tsp. cream of tartar
• 6 eggs, separated
• sugar (3 tbs + 1 1/2 c)
• 19 oz. cream cheese
• 1/4 c butter or margarine, melted
• 1 c fine graham cracker crumbs
• 3 tbs. flour
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• pint dairy sour cream
• 1 tsp. vanilla extract

Have all the ingredients at room temperature.

Butter generously a 9" springform pan. Mix butter and crumbs well; reserve 1/4 cup and press remainder firmly on bottom of pan.

Add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat until foamy. Gradually add 3 tablespoons of sugar and beat until stiff. Set aside.

Beat cheese until soft. Mix 1 1/2 cups sugar, the flour and salt. Gradually beat into cheese. Add egg yolks one at a time beating thoroughly after each. Add sour cream and vanilla; mix well. Fold in egg whites thoroughly and pour mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.

Bake in preheated slow oven (325 degrees F) for 1 1/4 hours, or until firm. Turn off heat, open oven door and leave cake in oven for 10 minutes.

Remove cake from oven and let stand on cake rack away from drafts until cool. Chill. Cake will shrink some as it cools.

I have found this cake rich and delicious and versatile. And I've been using it for more than 30 years.
• You can substitute gingersnaps or chocolate wafers for the graham crackers.
• You can put all the crumb mixture in the crust and top with sweetened sour cream or fruit pie filling topping after it's baked.
• You can reserve some of the cheese mixture before you pour it into the pan. You can add melted chocolate to that and swirl it through for a marble effect.
• You can substitute lemon/lime/orange extract for the vanilla and add some grated zest.
• You can go with the chocolate wafer crust adding some coconut. Then you can put drained cherry pie filling under the batter and top the finished cake with chocolate dipped fresh cherries (if you do it ver-r-ry carefully you can leave the stems on but take the pits out).

If your baked cake is cracked, be not dismayed. It will repair itself as it chills. And you really want to chill this cake -- it's so much better when it's had a chance to mature overnight in the fridge.
David

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks simona for yet another interesting lesson in Jewish history and tradition! I'm getting the impression the older the religious culture, the more varied and interesting the traditions and rituals.
DrMell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently made the following cheesecake with a gingersnap crust and topped with a lemon curd (3/4 cup). Incredible! Except that the center of the crust was a bit soggy. Next time I will follow the author's suggestion and cook without a crust, pressing the cookie crumbs to the finished product. You will need about 3/4 cup crumbs if you wish to do the bottom as well as the sides.

Cordon Rose Cream Cheesecake (from The Cake Bible, Rose Levy Beranbaum)

2 8 oz. pkg cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch (optional)*
3 large eggs
3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1.5 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups sour cream

Grease the bottom and sides of an 8-inch by 2.5-inch or higher springform pan, line the bottom with greased parchment or wax paper, wrap outside with double layer of heavy-duty foil to prevent seepage.

Ingredients must be at room temperature. Beat the cream cheese and sugar until very smooth (about 3 minutes), preferably with a whisk beater. Beat in the cornstarch if desired. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition until smooth and scraping down the sides. Add the lemon juice, vanilla, and salt and beat until incorporated. Beat in the sour cream just until blended.

Pour batter into prepared pan, set the pan in a slightly larger pan and surround with 1 inch of very hot water. Make sure the water bath pan is no higher than the springform pan or it will slow down baking. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Turn off the oven without opening the door and let the cake cool for 1 hour. Remove to a rack and cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Unmold before serving.

* If cornstarch is omitted a small amount of liquid will seep out after unmolding. If the cake has a sponge base, this is no problem. Otherwise, liquid can be absorbed with a paper towel. Without the cornstarch, the cake is a shade more creamy, and it is suitable to serve as a Passover dessert. For a richer, denser cheesecake that completely holds its moisture without cornstarch, replace the 3 whole eggs with 6 egg yolks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: