Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

De-lurking to say Hello!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shanti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: De-lurking to say Hello! Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I've been following this lovely bulletin board for a while now and thought "It's time to step out of the shadows and say Hi!" Very Happy

A bit about myself - I'm from Northern Minnesota - right on the tip of Lake Superior; I have a huge garden (which I'm hoping will make it through this sodden spring we're having); I love to make new recipes and try new culinary adventures. Hubby does homebrewing so I've developed a fondness for good beers and we belong to a small Wine Club out of California (Stryker Winery).

I work full time in the forestry profession and part time as a yoga instructor. I love to read, write, hike, bike, and play with my two dogs (Kia, 6, Lab and Ben, 3, English Setter).

I'm looking forward to future discussions with everyone!
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! I'm delighted, in particular, to see another gardener join the group. Stop by the gardening thread and tell us what you planted and how it's coming. Wink
Vickie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has given me the courage to de-lurk as well!

Shanti - another wine lover, I see. I don't know much about American wine at all; the good stuff's really expensive here in Australia (I'm a Brit living in Sydney). Any tips?

The other half is a Sommelier and he would know, but it would be nice to surprise him with something special that I'd found out myself. He's from the Hunter Valley (one of the big wine-producing regions) here in Aus and is frightening in his knowledge. I'm concentrating in picking up as much as I can....
JustMe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yippeee! More wine lovers!!!
Shanti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Vickie! Glad you joined as well! I am by no means a wine expert, but my Hubby and I have really been enjoying the wine from here: http://www.strykersonoma.com/ He signed me up a year ago for the Wine Club as a Valentines Day gift and we're still in it! They don't sell in retail stores - you have to order from them direct.

We also enjoy the wines from Washington and Oregon state. Inexpensive yet consistantly good.
bakerswife

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vickie wrote:
This has given me the courage to de-lurk as well!

Me too, and I'm another wine-lover as well!
simona

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does de-lurk mean?
bakerswife

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Lurking" is reading the threads without posting anything, so "de-lurking" is announcing yourself by posting! Wink
simona

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
Shanti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bakerswife! Welcome to the boards!
Vickie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanti - I'm going to try and seek out some good American wine. I was talking to the other half last night (about these forums as it happens) and it turns out he LOVES Oregon pinot noir and rates it very highly. The only American wine I ever saw in the UK was Blossom Hill and the like.

JustMe, I tried a Canadian wine for the first time the other week, the Inniskillen 2002 cabernet franc. Just gorgeous - there was fighting over the last drops and the bottle was divided up very carefully indeed!

bakerswife - welcome to the boards! We've got ourselves a fair few wine lovers here and I expect there must be loads more!

Do any of you drink Australian wine at all? The other half and I split our time between Sydney and the Hunter Valley wine region (120 wineries in one part of the valley alone, which make for some fantastic tasting sessions).
JustMe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vickie wrote:
JustMe, I tried a Canadian wine for the first time the other week, the Inniskillen 2002 cabernet franc. Just gorgeous - there was fighting over the last drops and the bottle was divided up very carefully indeed!

May I direct you to my blog http://burntwater.blogspot.com/2005/06/o-canada.html on Canadian wines. My hubby & I have been doing a wine tasting course & tasted some Canadian wines just last week. I am pleased to know that we do export some.

Vickie wrote:
Do any of you drink Australian wine at all? The other half and I split our time between Sydney and the Hunter Valley wine region (120 wineries in one part of the valley alone, which make for some fantastic tasting sessions).
Here's my take on our recent Australian testing here: http://burntwater.blogspot.com/2005/06/more-wine-tasting.html and here: http://burntwater.blogspot.com/2005/06/more-wine-tastingcontinued.html

Recent Australian wines I have recently enjoyed: Jamieson Run Reserve 1999 Coonawarra, Taltarni 2001 Shiraz, Heath Wines Southern Roo 2002 Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz, Longflat Shiraz. We used to drink a lot of Yellow Tail but now we have so much more selection that I never look twice at the Yellow Tail. I've had a few Hardy's wines & quite enjoyed them.

I'd be interested in any recommendations you might have, Vickie, although there are no guarantees that we can get them here.
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Hi guys!!! Reply with quote

not exactly de-lurking (I just got registered today!!) but this seems to be the best place to introduce myself. I am an american of French heritage living in New Orleans. I have just discovered this blog, and already feel @ home!! I intend to be here a lot as my wife & I are planning a dream trip to Paris this December, and I will probably make a pest of myself asking advise on EVERYTHING!!!

In addition, I am passionate about food and cooking and have strong (but hopefully not objectional) opinions on several of the topics Ihave already read.

As my handle indicates I make Pesto, (from the herbs I grow locally & organically) that I sell @ a local Farmers Market. So I can add a intense interest In gardening and local markets... In other words I think we will have a lot to talk about!!!! I can hardly wait
JustMe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi guys!!! Reply with quote

Pesto Man wrote:
I am an american of French heritage living in New Orleans.
Bienvenue, Pesto Man! I am in fact one-half French Canadian (other half Scottish...what a volatile combo that is).

New Orleans is on my list of places to see before I die....Was in Paris 30 years ago (I was very young)....need to go back again....so it's on the list too.

Last edited by JustMe on Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louisianna now to add to our Southern list of one person in Texas, Virginia, and Alabama. Four and counting.

The South will rise again. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: