Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Killer BBQ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tea leaves

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Cast iron and gas grills are killer combinations... Reply with quote

In a good way! I cook fresh shoulder on the grill in cast iron skillet and love it. Currently the heat has hit Boston so we too are moving the kitchen to the backyard...grilled zucchini, asparagus etc. Grilled bread is the best with some oil cured olives for a little smackerel of something while you sip wine and wait for the salmon to cook..Here's to a long hot summer.
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maybe my roast was about 3.5 pounds and it roasted a total of 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. But I wasn't paying attention, really. And every roast is a different weight just as time would probably vary in an oven and on a covered grill.

I also took it inside and let the covered cast iron pot sit for 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour while I did the rest of the meal. I would guess a good bit of passive heat/cooking was still going on.

Our roast was cooked all the way through. I wouldn't have minded if it had been a little more rare at the center.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sarape"]DrBiggles: So the key is to avoid white smoke and aim for a blue smoke. And, we do want the good, blue smoke for the flavor, I assume. Otherwise, we would just wrap the meat in foil or in a turkey-cooking bag. Is this your view?

Yes it is, for smoking. White plumes are inevitable with grilling, there just isn't much we can do about that. Especially if your sausage is wrapped in caul fat.

Biggles

www.meathenge.com
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Biggles, I'm going back to your recipe for rub 'cause I'm doing a tri-tip tomorrow and the ribs I did following your instructions were super!

Tell me a bit more about why the smoke is important, if you will. 'Cause I don't get smoke to speak of in my covered natural gas grill.
simona

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this smoke thing, are we electing a pope or something?

No more war, more white ( or blue if you prefer) smoke!
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too funny! Laughing Laughing Laughing
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey wrote:
Dr. Biggles, I'm going back to your recipe for rub 'cause I'm doing a tri-tip tomorrow and the ribs I did following your instructions were super!

Tell me a bit more about why the smoke is important, if you will. 'Cause I don't get smoke to speak of in my covered natural gas grill.

I'm not sure I understand the question and another reason why I don't own a propane grill. But some people are forced in to it, sometimes due to local Air Quality Management Districts. Such as the South Bay AMD in the Los Angeles area, they're strict!

You need to position your smoking box (whatever holds your smoking chips) so that the wood slowly burns and emits wafts of happy smoke. With a wood fire, you never regulate your temperature with the air exhaust, only with the intake. Not sure how propane grills have their air vents set up. Probably only on the upper sides and/or top? Open the vent on the meat side and close down the vent on the fire side. This way the smoke will be drawn over and around your meat.

Does that help?

Biggles
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't use wood chips (heresy I suppose) but everything else you've told me so far has been golden!

Thanks for several very tasty meals. Meanwhile, I split a chicken and we'll have it with a curry rub and lime juice this evening.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I picked myself up off the floor (fainted).

Okay pal, you're going to change your attitude right now. Go right now to your local hardware store, a good one. Go to the BBQ section and buy yourself 2 or 3 boxes/bags of smoking chips. Then turn around and look for the little metal box that you put them in. This won't cost much. Or use something handy that you can ruin if you want to.
Go home and and put about 5 or 6 handfuls in to a pail of water and let them soak for however long you have. I don't usually bother, to tell you the truth. Start up your grill for indirect slow roasting and put the little smoking box with the chips directly on the heating element (at least that's what the Internet says, you play with it to see what makes sense). Put a handful or two in the box and close the lid. It'll start to smoke soon.

Remember a rack of pork ribs should be done in about 4 to 5 hours, that'll tell you whether you got your temperature right. The meat should be tender and when tugged with your teeth, should come off the bone readily. If the meat falls off the bone when you pick it up or move it around, they're over done and you'd lose a competition. You also don't want meat sticking too hard to the bone, you'd lose a competition.

If you don't use the wood, you're cooking in a gas oven and you should already have an oven inside. The whole idea with a grill is to do something different! And I don't care what the manufacturers say, burning rancid grease out of valcanic rock does not produce FLAVOR. Flavor is produced from quality meat, ingredients and SMOKE !!! Flavor rocks, those two words shouldn't be used together!

Biggles
www.meathenge.com
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, that's the attitude. Very Happy

Do it properly or don't do it at all.

I'm sure the Vatican would agree.
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I could run some of the trimmings from my fruit trees through the chipper/shredder (which I always run sporting my leopard print/pink maribou outfit) and make some wood chips. I actually have the smoker box. How would that be?
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much work? No, that sounds like a good idea. But you're going to need to let those sit for at least 6 months before you can use them. Seasoning for fire places is different than when seasoning for a cooking wood.

Biggles
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six months! No kidding? I would have thought they'd dry pretty quickly once they're chips and I've got branches of a fig tree that went down 6-8 weeks ago sitting around waiting to get chipped up.

Well, if I've gotta wait for 'em that's not a problem. If I added them to my compost pile I would have waited as long for them to be dirt...

Amazing stuff that fig wood: the big trunk sections that I cut up and set aside to split for firewood are splitting themselves as they dry out! Shocked Very Happy

Thanks again for all the great info!
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be honest with you, the six month rating is for larger logs. Clearly if they're smaller, they'd take less time. The problem is it can make you awful sick, or ruin a dinner if they aren't cured enough.

Also, be careful which wood you use. Not all are okay, some you have to remove the bark. Some are not good at all. Please read section 8:

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

Biggles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: