Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

gardening/urban farming/education

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lisa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: gardening/urban farming/education Reply with quote

Hiya all ...

I'm looking for suggestions, ideas, thoughts on the following:

I currently live and work in NYC -- I work in a small international anti-poverty/human rights organization and love lots about what I do. I'll be taking a sabbatical next year and really want to use it to explore my underdeveloped passions for growing things, for agriculture, to get grass stains on my knees and dirt under my fingernails and gain some real hard skills which I have until now lacked, in part because of the heavy people-centered focus of my work.

I'm ultimately interested in seeing where this might intersect with the work I do now, which has a lot to do with kids and education and neighborhoods without a lot of access to the yummy local ingredients I like to buy.

I've strongly considered doing an apprenticeship at a small farm. The idea still appeals to me hugely but I'm leaning toward exploring these things within the city.

Money is an issue -- I'll need to be paid in whatever I'm doing, and although I'm used to a pretty thrifty lifestyle, I will need enough for rent, etc.

Possibilities I'm considering include finding an after-school program with a strong community garden link or focus, an internship with one of the botanical gardens ...

Here's where y'all come in. Any suggestions? I'm looking for anything from the very general to the very specific, rooted in your own experiences or in things you've heard, possible routes to explore or organizations to check out.

Thanks a lot!

peace
Lisa
varnadore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school district I work for (on the west coast) has a horticultural program run at an alternative high school as a vocational/training program. NYC must have something similar. As these type of programs are usually offered as "alternative" there is a higher level of at risk, special education, ESL students, etc, staff turn over is sometimes high. But that sounds right up your alley. Good luck and get growing!
Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! What a spot-on suggestion. I'll research and let you know what I discover Smile
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa, check your personal messages
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: