Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Six Nights in Paris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoAnn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Six Nights in Paris Reply with quote

My husband and I will be spending six nights in Paris in July. - our first vacation without children in nineteen years! Though we can afford one splurge , we need recommendations for moderate-priced restaurants. We are staying in the Latin Quarter but will be touring all over Paris. We are from San Francisco and love small, dively restuarants as well. Thank you in advance.
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Six Nights in Paris Reply with quote

Joann,

Another San Franciscan wishes you a happy trip to Paris "sans enfants". You and your husband will have a great time, have no doubt about it!

There have been many recommendations in this forum - hotels, restaurants and things to do, little favorite corners. And I would like to add mine. I love trying new restaurants whenever I go to Paris. My 2 daughters and I just spent a couple of weeks in mid-May and attended a Parisian wedding on top of that.

Here are some restaurants you could try:
L'Ardoise (my favorite restaurant), 28 rue du Mont Thabor, Paris 1st (Metro: Tuileries), Chef Pierre Jay used to cook for the famous La Tour d'Argent - he cooks in the style of his grandmere - there is a 30-euro pre fix that you will truly enjoy! Tel.: 01-42-96-28-18.
Auberge Pyrennes-Chevenne, 106 rue de Folie Menilmotant, Paris 11th (Metro: Republique); Lyonnais specialties; they cure their own meats.
Polidor, rue Monsieur Le Pince, Paris 6th (Metro: Odeon); one of the oldest cantine in the sorbonne area - tables sit about 10 people you share with other diners; reasonable, good classic french meals.
La Biche au Bois, 45 avenue Ledru Rollin, Paris 12th (Metro: Gare de Lyon or Bastille); specialties are foie gras, coq au vin and traditional french dishes; the best St. Marcellin (cheese) I've had- very reasonable.
Chez Tante Louise, 41 rue Boissy d'Anglas, Paris 8th (Metro: Madeleine); tel: 01-42-65-06-85; classic burgundian dishes like your grandma used to cook in Burgundy.
Chez Savy, 23 rue Bayard, Paris 8th (Metro: Franklin D. Rossevelt); tel: 01-47-23-46-98
Bofinger, 5-7 rue de la Bastille, Paris 4th or 12th (Metro: bastille); tel. 01-42-7287-82. This is a beautiful brasserie! Try to have a meal here if you can.
Aux Lyonnais, 32 rue Saint Marc, Paris 2nd (Metro: Bourse) Tel. 01-42-96-65-04. Very good example of food from Lyon (the 2nd gastronomic city in France although if you're Lyonnais, you would say it is number 1) owned by Alain Ducasse (the only man who has has 2-3Michelin Stars at the same time) who also owns a restaurant in New York.
Au Bon Accueil, 14 rue Montessuy (Metro: Ecole Militaire). Small restuarant a stone throw away from the Eiffel Tower - small neighborhood restaurant - good meals, reasonably priced - lace-curtains on the windows.

Of course, on your walks, you could read the menus and try some that appeals to you - the smells, the people enjoying themselves. Have coffee at Cafe de Deux Magots on Bd. Saint-Germain corner rue Bonaparte. Then walk up the street at 72, rue Bonaparte and stay in line to get into Pierre Herme - his pastries and chocolates are to die for (My favorite is Ispahan - PH now has it on a stick). You can read Clotilde's blogs on his goodies - they are wonderful! Visit the open markets - you will enjoy the wonders of french produce; smell the ripeness of the fruits.

It is of course, impossible to do everything! Save some for the next trip - build some beautiful memories!

Have a great trip,
-Lilia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: