Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Chocolate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Chocolate Reply with quote

I will follow Judy's lead and write about chocolate. What is your favorite recipe for chocolate?
My favorite way to eat chocolate is as a truffle. I love the cocoa I roll them in. I love the way they melt away as soon as you take a bite. I love the fact that when I serve them at parties my friends begin apologies to their signifigant others, for the truffle is all the lov'in they will need that night. I also love the fact that they are a great excuse to drink champagne.

Combine:
1/2 cup cream
3/4 stick unsalted butter at room temp

Bring to a boil and remove. Pour over 5oz. finely chopped chocolate and wisk well. You can add 2 Tbs liquor if you want, I usually don't. Cool 1 hour. Form and roll in cocoa powder, nuts or what ever you can dream up!

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was making truffles last night for a family celebration the weekend after TDay. I use Alice Medrich's recipe which includes forming the ganache centers and freezing them (that's where I am starting this AM). Then they get dipped in melted chocolate and stay in the fridge until serving.

I'm going to try to roll my freshly dipped truffles too. Never done that before but when you're committed to messy why not go all the way? Wink I flavored my ganache with three different liqueurs so I hope rolling them in different coatings will help keep clear which is which.

I haven't made these in years. I hope I remember some dipping technique but I *do* remember the first step is to take the phone off the hook so you don't accidentally try to answer it with a hand glopped to the wrist in melted chocolate. Shocked
monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainey,

is that the same recipe that says "lick all excess chocolate off of fingers" right after "store in air-tight container"?

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkey wrote:
is that the same recipe that says "lick all excess chocolate off of fingers" right after "store in air-tight container"?

The very one! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ...tho sometimes it can be fun to have an adoring recipient of the truffles help with some of that particular clean-up duty. Twisted Evil Wink
monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since we are talking chocolate here, tempered or un-tempered chocolate for truffle dipping?

Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkey wrote:
since we are talking chocolate here, tempered or un-tempered chocolate for truffle dipping?

Interesting question! Alice Medrich specifically recommends untempered. You need to keep the truffles stored under refrigeration to prevent bloom. But she says they are much closer to melting temp untempered so you get the immediate rush of the straight chocolate followed by the smoother ganache. And they store well as long as two weeks. [Excuse me, I had to pick myself up from the floor after losing it at the thougth of truffles going uneaten for two weeks!]

Are you accomplished at tempering chocolate? I took a class. Enjoyed it thoroughly but I have *extremely* limited success with my tempering efforts. ...even tho I once popped for a tempering machine. Shocked
Erin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey, I never dip my truffles.

"It's hot ham water."
monkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have never dipped my truffles either, but, i was contemplating it.

i have not tried it myself, but, i am told that the chocolate tempering instructions on the schraffenberger website is easy and effective. www.scharffenberger.com their explanation about why you temper chocoalte is interesting. mmm... chocolate!

Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkey wrote:
...i am told that the chocolate tempering instructions on the schraffenberger website is easy and effective. www.scharffenberger.com their explanation about why you temper chocoalte is interesting. mmm... chocolate!

Thanks. That sounds simple and direct enough. My particular problem is that I'm not nearly disciplined enough myself to watch melted chocolate and march it through all the required temperature changes. Wink But, more than that, it's *keeping* it in temper while you work with bits of it that has always eluded me.
Caitlin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.. Favorite way to eat chocolate...

Most certainly chipping a corner off that huge block of dark chocolate you have in the back of your fridge and curling up to watch sappy romance movies after your boyfriend breaks up with you..

Other than that.. Chocolate and caramel poured over saltenes. Gotta love that sweet and salty.
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caitlin wrote:
Hmmm.. Favorite way to eat chocolate...

Most certainly chipping a corner off that huge block of dark chocolate you have in the back of your fridge and curling up to watch sappy romance movies after your boyfriend breaks up with you..

Other than that.. Chocolate and caramel poured over saltenes. Gotta love that sweet and salty.

Ouch!!! Shocked I hope you get your chocolate a whole lot more regularly than you get broken up with, kiddo! Wink
Erin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catlin, be careful with chocolate in the fridge it will bloom.

Monkey, I just made a holiday assortment of truffles, some in colored sugars, some in candy cane dust and I also dipped some! I was feeling lazy and did not temper, but I think the next batch I will. I love chocolate!

"It's hot ham water."
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite chocolate? Hot cocoa when it's snowing out.
Or cold chocolate pudding in the summer.
anna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my partner, kevin and my housemate, david and i decided to make chocolates and other candied as gift for our buddies this year, and it was a blast. we emptied out piggybanks (no, seriously) and came out with enough money to by 7 beautiful bars of green & black's organic 70%, plus various toppings and other yummy things.

David made some amazing carmels studded with toasted hazelnuts-- they melt the moment they touch you tongue, and i (inspired by the entry on c&z) made mendiats, which i topped with a variety of goodies including toasted almond slivered, candied ginger, dried mango, dried papaya, sea salt, cardamom, granola, coconut, earl grey tea and freshly grated cinnamon stick. they came out really yummy-- the tea, cinnamon, mano and ginger were favorites.

finally, kevin and i made almond truffles: homemade almost paste mixed with freshly grated cinnamon stick, dipped in chocolate and topped with another sprinkle of cinnamon. def the prettiest of the treats and SO yummy. i'm going to make them with pistachio paste soon.
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone that is interested check out cuicineprovencale.com they have some great combos for truffles!

Anna, I really like your ideas you are very creative!

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: