Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Carcassonne recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bakerswife

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Carcassonne recommendations Reply with quote

My husband and I are planning a belated voyage de noces to Carcassonne and the surrounding area in August. Anyone have any recommendations of sights, restaurants, etc? TIA! Smile
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been, but now that I've seen pictures of it on the internet, it looks like a terrific destination.
Here are their regional food and wine specialties: Cassoulet, foie gras, daube, magret et jambon de canard, vins AOC du Minervois, Corbières, Fitou ; Vins de Pays : Côteaux de la Cité, du Cabardès, Blanquette de Limoux, Carthagène, Muscat, Liqueur la Micheline, Eaux de Vie de Marc, Or-kina.
Now all you need is for someone to tell you the best places that serve it!
David

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carcassonne! Stunning! A miracle really. It was slated for demolition sometime in the late 19th or early 20th century nut some visionary saw that it was one of the largest communities of medieval buildings extant in all of Europe so lobbied the government of the time to save it. A gift to all who get to see her. We were there a few years back so I can't give you any specifics of restaurants but do go to the main museum there! And cassoulet of course, even if it is August and cassoulet is best as a cold weather dish!
simona

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello bakerswife ( you're lucky if you can eat your husbands tasty creations, mine is a journalist so I have to swallow words,nor bakers goodies..)
Now about Carcassonne in August. Make sure you have air condition in your Hotel. Carcasonne, as David mentions, is a jewel. But a very very very very tiny jewel, so tiny that about two -three hours maximum, are sufficient. And that's by walking slowly ( because of the heat). Don't even think eating cassoulet in the touristic restaurants in the main ( tiny) square. They are horrible. There are some expensive restaurants too, I didn't try them so I don't know. Consult the Michelin or the gault Millau, but I presume there are better ones outside the overtouristic walled town of Carcasonne. As for the surroundings, not very much. Maybe Albi , the cathedral is ourstanding, the Toulouse Lautrec Museum too. BUt maybe the cool air of the neighbouring Pyrinees will be more suitable for the digestion of cassoulet, foie gras and magret de canard.
Happy anniversary!

No more war, more foie gars ( even in August)!
bakerswife

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simona, thanks so much for the info. We are planning on using Carcassonne as a base (and our hotel does have A/C and a pool), and we plan to do day trips to wineries, the seashore, and Toulouse. We have family near Toulouse also, and we might visit them as well. Your advice is very helpful, and I will look at the guides you mentioned. Smile
David

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a chance before you go, try to get hold of a copy of The Perfect Heresy by Stephen O'Shea. It is the most readable history of the Cathars I have run across and sheds much light on the cities and princes of Carcassonne and Toulouse-----------and it is just plain exciting to read!
SteveC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited Carcassonne and stayed at the Domaine d'Auriac http://www.france.com/hotels/hotel.cfm?hotel_id=3261.

Beautiful hotel and one-star Michelin restaurant.

I also recommend reading The Perfect Heresy. With that, a visit to the awesome cathedral at Albi is in order. Just a truly fear-inspiring building, that indicates the power of the Church over the common man, built after the Cathar heresy was squashed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: