Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Jalapenos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fsutrill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Jalapenos Reply with quote

I was reading the thread down below on Mexican food and wondered if anyone in France has ever seen a fresh jalapeno? That is my "holy grail" of cooking ingredients here and I haven't seen one since we arrived 3 years ago. Thanks!!
Cheryl
bakerswife

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found something that was very much like a cross between a jalapeno and a serrano chile just at my local Carrefour. I think it was just called a "piment" on the sign, but I used it to make fresh salsa and it was perfect. I also found what looked to be habaneros at Carrefour. Chiles can be hard to find, though. I want to make fajitas this weekend and I don't have time to get out to Carrefour, so I guess I won't be making fresh salsa--I can't seem to find fresh chiles anywhere else. Sad
tdb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Jalapeños Reply with quote

Like Bakerswife, I can usually find "piments verts" at the hypermarchés like Carrefour and Auchan, and also at Champion and Monoprix occasionally. I've also found them at my neighborhood marché (I live in the Paris suburb of Le Plessis-Robinson, which has a very nice, big market), so you might want to try looking at yours.

These "piments verts" are much closer to serranos in shape and heat than jalapeños (more pointed and hotter), so use a bit less than you normally would when substituting, and remove ribs and seeds more than you normally would, too!
bakerswife

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of another place where you might find chiles: Arab markets. I am making fajitas tomorrow and really wanted to make fresh salsa with the gorgeous tomatoes I got at the open markets, but neither my neighborhood market (Marché U) nor the open markets had ANY kind of chile or "piment" and I did NOT want to trek out to the mall to go to Carrefour on a Saturday. But, after walking through the whole open market I had an idea, and so I then walked up to a neighborhood with a fair number of Arab restaurants and grocery stores, and I sure enough, the first one I came to was an "épicerie fine" which specialized in "produits orientaux," and they had several different types of chiles. The serranoesque ones (which are much longer than U.S. serranos), something that looked sort of like a poblano, and something that looked sort of like a banana chile. I bought several of each and the grand total was 50 centimes. Not bad! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: