Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Tour de France
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Tour de France Reply with quote

On a brighter note - is anyone watching the Tour de France? Having read Lance Armstrong's books this past year I actually understand the race now. I find myself glued to the TV when it is being shown live. It is such a treat to see the wonderful French (and German) villages flash by. I'm hoping for a Lance Armstrong win, but I do love those Team Mobile pink outfits.
Shanti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, my local TV stations don't carry Le Tour (exept at 10:00p at night during the evening news and even then only for about 5 minutes), and I don't have cable or dish TV - so, I get my daily updates from the Daily Peloton. They do live commentary (the author has a great sense of humor) over the duration of the stage. I find myself clutching the computer mouse trying not to skip ahead just to read the finish! Wink Very Happy

I must say, it has been a very exciting race this year! I'm looking forward to the mountain stages next week.
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest stage through Alsace was a vista of vineyards, nesting storks and wonderful chateaux. I think I'll be adding Alsace to my next French trip.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: cycles Reply with quote

ah this Barbara of NZ..she doth get around!...

a few days back saw a documentary on a German team from a few years ago...included a little history...

those early days...'twas a way for certain men to take the chance to be other ...each year gruelling..each year with images of bravery

each year I sit and wonder...and amaze

hugs
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local TV station in Dallas has done a story on Lance Armstrong mania in Austin, TX, where he lives. Here's the link:

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/071705dnspotouraustin.1824626.html
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the link brighidsdaughter. The media make a thing of Lance Armstrong being disliked by the French for dominating the race. Members in France - is that so there? But in reality he has done much for getting more people into watching the race, which must increase tourism in France, especially the tour areas. The sponsors must be very happy with the exposure they are getting.
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Frogs don't like much of America and Americans. That's no surprise they don't worship Armstrong. Though in one sense, they are respectful of the Allies and our efforts to rescue them during WWII. Maybe the French have a public hate-America face and a private respect for America.
le_gredin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Tour de France Reply with quote

Well, Sarape, that's pretty much a show-stopper!

Most people would not be surprised that a country that has dominated an athletic competition for years are just a bit put off by a foreigner winning -- sort of like the Americans who were recently displaced by the down-under folks in the Americas Cup. But it does not justify a generalization like yours.

Most French people like the US -- it is the principal non-European destination of French travelers (or at least used to be). The WWII generation in France is basically dead and the new generations are much more broad-based. They may not like the current US foreign policy (neither do the Germans or the Brits or the Italians or the Russians or much of the rest of the world). But they do respect and sometimes even envy the independence of the US culture. It is always a mistake to simplify people, be they French or, for that matter, people from the US South.
David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Sarape, it's as M. le gredin (you scoundrel you) says---it's like when Canadians get their butts kicked in international hockey, noses get way out of joint! And Lance has done it soooo many times! Here in Canada cycling sports have never been so popular, and Lance's foundations yellow bracelets are becoming ubiquitous!

And while there are features of U.S. foreign policy that Europeans/Canadians take issue with there is still much admiration for the people and principles of your nation--probably the most generous nation on earth! And it is not just Iraq that causes problems, its also things like not signing on to Kyoto, not participating in the World Court, not abiding by the rulings of the WTO re: softwood lumber, placing trade barriers in areas of free trade among other things. We frequently take short holidays in the U.S. and have encountered mostly bright, happy, friendly and helpful people. No nation is perfect and no nation's people are perfect--and all people do well to remember that.
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blog World on a Plate is posting recipes from the region of each stage Le Tour passes through.

http://www.worldonaplate.org/world_on_a_plate/

The Lance Armstrong Foundation have raised over US$60 miillion toward cancer research and support by selling the yellow bands. I was given one by a friend from Nike and have decided to wear it until I get my "all clear". The yellow bands have become a fashion item here as they were hard to get. However you can currently purchase them on the website http://www.letour.fr/ - and support cancer research. Many people wearing the yellow bands are doing so as a support to a friend or family member going through cancer and treatment.
David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara--thanks for the great site! How clever is that!
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel my comment has turned the thread a little political, which I had not intended it to be. We are a diverse bunch, all with different opinions, and there are plenty of political blogs where we can air our views. Lets all agree to keep C & Z focused on what bought us here in the first place - France, food and sharing.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo, Barbara, well said. Let's keep politics out of here .... please.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
David

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, I agree and i shouldn't have gotten involved. Vous me pardonnez, s'il vous plait? (ou quelque chose comme ca)
le_gredin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Tour de France Reply with quote

Well, in all fairness, Barbara, it was not YOUR comment that turned things political. The TDF is very much about France and well within the scope of this forum. And sharing does not equal name-calling. Apologies from you are not in order.

Perhaps it was mine in rising to a quite remarkable perjorative. If so perhaps I should apologize for both me and my countryman.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: