Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Too late to de-lurk...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakritz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Too late to de-lurk... Reply with quote

... as I've made myself feel very much at home, and have addressed many of you as if I'd known you all my life, indeed, as if introductions were not really necessary ...
Embarassed
how impolite, how embarrassing...

So, better late than never, here goes:
I was born in Germany but have lived in Britain for nearly 20 years now, my husband is British with very strong Welsh leanings, whereas I see my roots as Eastern European.
I cannot remember how I stumbled across C & Z but it must have been during one of my recipe searches. I love cooking and everything food-related, from accompanying drinks to porcellain. In my ideal world, I'd cook and prepare everything from scratch but in reality, it is actually my husband who does most of the cooking because I'm more or less welded to the PC. Wink
We both love drinking wine, and have got used to wines which are rather more expensive than we can afford because my husband spends his expenses on wine when he works away from home ... I have a feeling they're mostly Australian reds.
I also love baking bread - one has to here, really, if one wants 'proper' bread. Unfortunately, I've lost the kneading arm of my bread-maker, and my oven hasn't worked for a while. (I know, how can proper foodies live like this...?! - Have I mentioned that we also love talking into the night, putting the world to right and are absolutely useless in terms of organising anything domestic... or let's say, anything faintly resembling 'grown-up, boring activities'?)
I also love visiting stately homes (such a stark contrast to the hovel we live in) and admiring the gardens - not being equipped with green fingers (or thumb, as they seem to say in French...) myself. Still, I'm considering a herb garden at the moment...
Apart from that, it's literature, the arts generally and anything to do with language (i.e. linguistics, rather than foreign languages per se) - and of course talking and writing about it all... life, the universe and everything...
anything else? Oh yes, I have two sons, the older one was very useful tonight (for a change...) and managed to give me an avatar - hooray Very Happy licorice allsorts (Lakritz means licorice). No, it isn't my favourite food, it comes way down after chocolate, cheese (the one thing I really can't give up) and bread; it just seemed a good name at the time.
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lakritz
My maternal grandparents emmigrated to Australia from Birmingham in 1920. Love your avatar...I love licquorice allsorts. Sometimes I put a big glass bowl of them on the coffee table as a decoration. They don't last as long as a vase of flowers unfortunately.
Lakritz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barbara!

Hee, hee, it's a good job we don't eat flowers! (Well, not many of them, anyway!)
Good idea though to use licorice allsorts as decoration! I like it!!

Do/did your grand-parents speak with the Brummie accent?

(More and more connections...)

Or as Simona would say: No more war, more connections!
simona

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't think it's to late to de -lurk, and I'm really happy , Lakritz, that you opened this thread. I can understand that people want to maintain a certain distance and secrecy, but I find it very frustrating to talk to people when I sometimes even don't know if they are man or woman, or the age group.
I hope more friends will open, even a little, and tell us basic facts about themselves. It's like when you're invuted somewhere and meet new people - just a short introduction will do, whatever one is ready to unveil.
I think I've scattered around some of my biographical details, but I'll put them in order here:
I was born in 1949 in Bucarest, Romania. We left Romania for Israel in 1961, after waiting for 8 years for a visa ( Communist country, remember?). My mother is from Russian origin, and she lost all her family in camps during the war. We settled in Tel Aviv. My mother, now 86 is still alive, my father died three years ago. I have no brothers or sisters.
I studied in Jerusalem and in Paris , and enjoyed 5 unforgettable years in Paris. I returned to Israel in 1977. I met my husband in 1979 . We have no children, but he had three daughters, so we are proud grandparents.
15 years ago, I switched "professions" ( to my mother's dismay- her daughter, a cook!!)) from tranlator to a small, home based caterer, which I enjoy very much. It was always my dream/ My mother told me that when I was 5 years old, somebody asked me what I want to do when I'll grow up, and I answered promptly- a cook!. I'm also a tour guide, especially to Europe , mostly France but not only, so I do the two things I love most: travel and cooking. I love reading, talking to and with people, travelling,movies,restaurants, good meals shared with friends, good wine and long conversations, controversial ones too.
I hope more friends will follow Lacritz footsteps, and tell us a little about themselves.

No more war, more de-lurking!
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lakritz - Sadly both my grandparents have died - after 60 years of marriage. I could listen to my grandmother talk forever when she was alive - whenever I hear the accent I think of her.

Simona - I have had a copy of Bury Me Standing by Isabella Fonseca for years meaning to read it one day. And do you know the movie Latcho Drom? It traces the origin of music from Rajastan (India), Egypt, Turkey, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, France and Spain. One of my favourite movies (although my children have not yet forgiven me for taking them to it when they were too young to understand it!). I've not seen the two follow up movies yet.
simona

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear Barbara, when first reading your post, I tried to understand what possible link could be between Rajastan through Egypt, Romania and France to Spain. The gypsies of course, I thought. After a while I decided to check about Isabela Fonseca, and I learned I was right, as the book you mention is about the gypsies. It really seems interesting. Not many people know about gypsies, and whatever they know are only bad characteristics. Wherever you go, you feel this antagonism, hatred, fear, disgust. The ultimate degree of pure racism, and indeed, Hitler did remember them: it's a shame nobody speaks about the genocide of European Gypsies:they too were doomed to extermination.
In Romania there are mny gypsies, but also in France and Spain. I'm in love with their music, but alas, I don't see any integration of the gypsies in the mainstream population in the near future. Yes, definitely I will try to find this book.
No, I don't remeber a movie with this name, I'll ask at the DVD shop. I've seen Kostaritza's movies, and loved them.
Thanks
Feste

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simona, I hate to argue with you, but one of the reasons I enjoy online forums is the anonymity. Here I am judged solely on what I write. In my life, I am treated differently based on how I look, and I like to have a place where that is not an issue. For example, if I go out with or without make-up, with shaved underarms and legs or unshaven, whether I wear a skirt or baggy pants, how long my hair is, etc. I used to wear my hair quite short and people often assumed I was gay. Now my hair is longer and people assume I am straight. I make furniture, so people often either think it's cute and crafty rather than proper craftsmanship, or they, again, assume I'm gay. I am a bartender, which makes some people think that I am there to be hit on. It is really nice to have a retreat, where I am treated solely according to my ideas.

I certainly have no problems with people sharing what they want to about themselves! Not at all! I just like a space where my age, gender, appearance and profession have less to do with my persona than my ideas on the subject at hand.
David

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is amazing the assumptions people often make based solely on appearance isn't it! Your position is well stated and perfectly understandable Feste.
simona

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Feste, It's OK to argue, but actually we dont argue at all, because I respect your position. I just want to stress that appearances were not the issue, we don't post pictures on the forum .
As for me, yes, I would like to know if I speak to a man or a women. But it's not crucial.
As for anonymity, each of us has a profile we can look into, and you were quite specific about yourself, your profession, your hobbies.
What I do however think is that gender, age , background and in many cases profession ( of course not appearances) do have an influence on our views, opinions,ideas...even those food related ( e.g. we, the "oldies" often mention calories, fats etc, the young ones not really...). I think like a 56 years old women and not like 24 years old male student, and it's only natural. Along the threads and the many post, we do learn a lot about each other because we want others to know who we are, and we like to share. I would dare even to say ,that there are a bunch of regular contributors , who do know each other a little, and return to this forum just because of that : to meet some friends which whom we share some bits of our life. I wouldn't call that anonymity. Just read the "wedding feast" thread. I would further dare to say ( I'm 56, old enough not to be afraid to say what I want to say...) that newcomers who don't open up a little bit do tend to vanish after a while. At least, that's my impression.
We are all a bundle of memories, nostalgia, past experiences and hopes of new ones, so age is certainly a factor too. I personally hope I've matured a tiny little bit since my tumultuos and furious young years.
But I certainly will respect anybody's wish for anonymity. Cheers, Feste!
( and because you mentioned it, cheers with a Gin Tonic for me , please)

No more war, more cheers
Sarape

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think knowing something or more things about our members is good. It helps to process their views. Knowing Rainey has a son about to go away to school for the first time and her concern about teaching him to cook is somewhat important. My view was that he's a guy with books and girls on his mind. That is, my response was based on who I am and Rainey could take it with that background.

I also understand your need for privacy. But, we're only discussing food and this isn't a therapy session with long-term consequences. So privacy isn't really so important.

The nice thing is that we have the option to expose or conceal.
simona

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarape said:
." But, we're only discussing food .." Ah, that smile...

Sure, food only.
Like in ; food and terrorism, food and marriage, food and the Irak war, food and the Tour de France, food and gardening, food and all...
It seems lately I tend to agree with you a lot, Sarape. So what.

No more war, food only
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by appearances - it just happened to me today. I went to a new hairdresser for some highlights - a fairly trendy salon. The girl doing my hair offered to get me some magazines, went through the stack and came back "New Idea" (Australian/NZ readers will know it) - usually has Nicole, Angelina, Brad, Jen , J Lo on the cover. I guess she looked at my age and decided I was the middle aged housewife who reads gossip magazines. I said to her 'I'm more a "Wallpaper" magazine kinda' person. This time she came back with Vogue. Not quite what I meant but at least better than New Idea.
Karen Weena

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there, funny this thread should come up. coz after checking the forums here yesterday I wondered if those active in the web, and not only the participants here, make the internet the outlet for their "other", maybe inner, selves.
This thought was mainly triggered by apparent psuedonames used online, because I for one can't think of another name to use other than my own real one. I don't know what that says about myself, though.
But true, during the discussions we get a few peeks into one another's lives, and I would like to admit I was a bit shocked to learn your ages. Please don't be offended, I don't mean this in a bad way, it's just that, you don't get that from reading your posts. Now what did I say? I mean you all seem so lively and passionate. Forgive me if I'm doing this badly, what I just want to impart is that I love your company, with all the musings about life and food and everything.
What attracts me here is I know I'll learn so much from everybody. I was born and raised in the Philipines, and during my college days I joined a performing group which traveled around Europe and the US. I got a sample of life and food in the places we went to, but not much of the culture, so I get so excited reading about these places, and especially the food. All of these of course in the hope that I get to go there again someday.
Lakritz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all from a rather dull Birmingham - apparently there was a tornado here yesterday, it devastated areas just down the road - uprooted trees, houses with their roof blown away, the works. Strangely, in this part, I didn't feel a thing.

Barbara - sorry to hear your grandparents passed away - 60 years of marriage, my golly, I don't think I'm going to get old enough to achieve that!
As to hairdressers - hate them, hate them, hate them... Evil or Very Mad , not surprised at their choice of magazine... But incidentally, what is a 'wallpaper' magazine??!!
Simona - good choice of avatar, multilayered meanings there...
Feste - of course, the anonymity on the net, i.e. in forums is a huge bonus/part of the attraction, and as in real life, some of us don't mind sharing quite personal things with perfect strangers (that's not how it feels to me, by the way) and others are more reserved. In a way, I would have liked to stay more anonymous for a while because I find there is a certain buzz in that and an opportunity for what Karen called 'other' persona, which might really be one's 'core persona', stripped of all those categories which distract from what the person is actually about. But once you get into a 'chat' and/or have a specific question, the cat's soon out of the bag... when I mention 'husband' and 20th wedding anniversary, quite a few cornerstones of my identity are revealed. And on this particular forum, which is as cosy as it is sophisticated Very Happy , I really don't mind. Whereas there are others, where I will neither reveal my age, nor my gender as it might interfere with being taken seriously, cf Karen's being shocked at some of us being ancient. Don't worry, Karen, you did put the case very well, all of us concerned will know to take this as a compliment! (Personally, I feel quite coquettish about my age, I simply LOVE to shock people with the information that I'll be 50 next year...)

But I must come back to Feste - I really, really identify with your exasperation faced with those readily applied categorisations (I could go into loads of examples), and it is indeed refreshing not to have to worry about reactions to one's hairy armpits, for instance... I'd be quite happy to discuss the latter, and the somewhat alien and quite, quite totalitarian practice of hair elimination in the Anglo-Saxon countries, but I'm not sure the forum is quite ready for that... Wink Wink Wink
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen Weena wrote:
I would like to admit I was a bit shocked to learn your ages. Please don't be offended, I don't mean this in a bad way, it's just that, you don't get that from reading your posts.

Entirely understandable and not something to regret in the least! I think this sorta illustrates Feste's point: this unique way of communicating cuts through all the other distractions and puts us together soley in the realm of ideas and shared experiences. It can be a heady experience.

So glad you found us, Karen!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: