Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Coffee? Tea?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning!

Victoria, I sympathise with the migraine thing. It is a shocker. I used to drink tea above all else and when I would go away on holidays I would wind up grumpy, tired and with migraines. I really hate tea bag tea (I think it is because I can taste the cardboardy flavour of the bag) and just won't drink it unless I am really desperate.

I managed to wean myself off so much tea, and now have a policy that I can drink all the tea I want on a weekend, but must drink water during the week. If I am really tired or in need I will have a tea during the week, but try to stick with water.

The Palaise de The website is really nice. I found it the other day. One of my girlfriends here has said that she is taking me to the Marriage Frere tearooms as a treat, and then we can go to the Palaise de The. I am really looking forward to it. What a lovely friend she is!
JustMe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victoria: There is a Canadian site called Capital Tea that you might enjoy. http://www.capitaltea.com/ I've been to their store and got to stick my nose into dozens of bags of tea; needless to say I left with a few bags worth!
VictoriaLH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: tea Reply with quote

Debbie, lucky you to be going on a tea tour. Enjoy it! You will like the Palais, they will let you sniff all of their varieties and often have little samples of tea and sometimes cakes to sample as well.

Justme, I will check out the canadian site, but as it is Friday, Martini night around my house, your avatar is making me very thirsty! Someday I will start a new topic on Gin!
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie- Caffeine withdrawal headaches are among the very worst. But, fortunately, in my experience, they don't usually last longer than 24 hours.

You may be finding that it's what's in the teabags rather than the composition of the filter paper. Depending on the manufacturer, they may be using what they "sweep" up after all the good quality tea is packaged as whole or broken leaves.

I, personally, like the convenience and impeccable filtration of the bags and resulting tea. So, I get tea filters (they're free from my local coffee & tea store but Melita markets them if you decide to go looking for them) and fill them with whole leaf teas. They close simply by running a hot iron over the open edge. I make up a dozen at a time and put them back in the airtight tin the tea comes in. IF you decide to give it a try, note that the filter bags are enormous compared with a conventional teabag. Put just a spoon or two of leaves in the bag and seal just the top leaving all that remaining room for the leaves to bloom into. If you're using good quality leaves, they'll expand into the space and brew most effectively that way.
JustMe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: tea Reply with quote

VictoriaLH wrote:
but as it is Friday, Martini night around my house, your avatar is making me very thirsty!
Martini night! Oh, I think I need to start a new tradition! I don't actually drink martinis (just cosmopolitans), but I love the look of them and I have (sorry...my husband has) an ever-expanding collection of martini glasses.
VictoriaLH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Its martini time! Reply with quote

Quote:
Martini night! Oh, I think I need to start a new tradition!

Yes we started it a few years ago. Friday night, no matter what other plans we have the first order is a martini! Husband puts the glasses in the freezer at breakfast so they are good and chilly by 6 pm when I get home.
Its much easier getting thru the day when I know there is an ice cold martini waiting at the end of it.
As for glasses, we too have an ever expanding set. A rich friend just gave me 8 Spiegelau martinis but I am afraid to use them, especially when my more (whats a kind word for drunken maniac?) friends are over!
Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The home made tea bags are a great idea. One of my friends used to do them at home.

Me, I think I might be a bit lazy with that one.... if I want a cup of tea, I will usually have 2 or 3 cups. I just stick to the teapot with the tea strainer built in. Less fiddling around with boiling the kettle each time and playing wittea bags. You can get some really beautiful teapots now and most companies make the lift out strainers to go with them.

You might be right with the flavour thing. I am one of those people who can smell and taste and hear exceptionally well. A party trick is for me to be given something to eat and I have to guess the ingredients. Haven't been wrong yet, no matter how hard they try to sneak in subtle flavours. Unfortunately I cannot do it with wines. Food yes, wine no. Oh well, can't have everything. My doctor has said that my smell and taste might be heightened because I do have severe food and chemical allergies. It could be my bodies way of detecting these things before I ingest them. I don't know. Funnily enough my brother is the same with food, but our sister couldn't tell the difference between a cheddar and a camembert if she tried.

Someone did tell me that caffeine is a great migraine cause. I find it quite interesting as one of the treatments for migraine is to give caffeine in tablet form. Apparently the caffeine expands the blood vessels which have constricted and caused the migraine. Alot of migraine medicine has caffeine as an ingredient. Maybe we need a certain amount of cafeine to keep everything working?

Can't wait to go to Palaise de The. My husband has decided though that if I go "teaing" he has to go "coffeeing" and has requested a new senseo coffee machine after seeing one that our friends have.... Anyone got one/used one/ know of someone with one? Feedback appreciated
JustMe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie wrote:
Someone did tell me that caffeine is a great migraine cause. I find it quite interesting as one of the treatments for migraine is to give caffeine in tablet form. Apparently the caffeine expands the blood vessels which have constricted and caused the migraine. Alot of migraine medicine has caffeine as an ingredient. Maybe we need a certain amount of cafeine to keep everything working?
I have read that the effectiveness of caffeine to relieve headaches depends on whether you have a caffeine dependancy or not. Myself, if I do not have my morning coffee I get a headache by 10 or 11 am. One day I was at a friend's and we drank coffee all morning but I ended up with such a headache. I finally asked her if the coffee was decaffeinated and it was...no wonder I had a headache. So, according to the article I read, if you have any kind of caffeine dependency (read addiction!) then caffeine will in fact help headaches. On the other hand if you do not then the caffeine can in fact trigger the migraines.

Also, if you are prone to headaches and/or migraines the most important thing is to take a pain killer as soon as you feel the pain starting. If you do not & allow the pain to take hold then it becomes next to impossible to get rid of it. For years I would wait too long. Now if I feel any sort of headache coming on I take something right away, seems to work...at least most of the time.
Rose from Oz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in the C & Z forums which I have been reading for quite a while.

After many years of high school teaching, I ran a coffee shop for two years (associated with our current art business) and in that I learned a lot. A generation ago I did bar work and making coffee professionally was not dissimilar.

Prior to opening the coffee shop, I did a barista course and that taught me a great deal. I found that it's quite simple to make fabulous coffee if you follow a few simple rules:

1) Buy your roasted coffee beans from a local roaster, ensure they are 21 days to 32 days old.
2) Ensure your equipment is always sparkling clean. In a professional set-up this mean a clean group head each time you brew, and a polished scrubbed-clean frother. Clean out the group head each time you use it.
3) Never re-use any already heated milk even if it's been refrigerated..

At home you can translate this to:
1) Locally roasted beans, ground by your supplier if you buy in small quantities. Don't refrigerate them (oils are lost) but keep them cool.
2) Be sure your dripolater, top-of-stove machine or espresso machine is sparklingly clean all the time.
3) Make only what you will consume. Never reheat coffee, don't make a full jug if you don't plan to consume it immediately.

To clean your home coffee makers choose any or all of the following:
1) Espresso machines -- scrub the group head each time as well as the frothing wand.
2) Dripolaters and percolaters , flush out with cold clean water several times paying special attention to the filters.
3) All machines: flush with espresso cleaner or plain vinegar at least one per week. Be sure to run through three flushes of plain water afterwards.

These tips will ensure perfect crema if followed. It really is that easy.

Enjoy!
Vickie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rose, you sound like my other half - he works in a restaurant in Sydney and is obsessive about the cleanliness of the machines. He can taste on the first sip when grounds have been left on the head and have burnt! Generally, though, the coffee is sooo good here, an eyeopener for a girl from the UK.

Now me, I'm a tea freak and am currently cradling a cup of Irish Breakfast.

I think your favourite hot drink is a huge comfort thing. I fully subscribe to the theory that tea is the best cure for all ills. One sign of trouble, or even a tricky work problem and the first thing I do is head for the kettle.
Shanti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see I am in the minority here! I'm a staunch tea drinker - loose leaf, water brought to proper temp, tea cozy...tea drinker.

For whatever reasons, I've never been able to develop a taste for coffee. I love how it smells, all the lovely aroma's floating through the air when you enter a coffee shop...but taste? Shudder Can't do it.

I generally have about 10 different varieties in my cupboard at any given time. My sister-in-law has been bringing me back teas in her travels (Turkey, England and India), and my Dad brings me back tea from China when he goes over on business trips. I love the little containers that the Chinese use to store thier tea in.

I get my teas from here: http://www.teasource.com/ It's a local place in St. Paul, Minnesota with only two stores. They have a fantastic selection - I rarely get the same thing twice because there is so much to try! Very Happy
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of us who prefer tea.
Sarape

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a very long article from this week's New Yorker magazine on the history of six beverages: spirits, wine, beer, cream, coffee, tea, Coke.

Very interesting. Read it soon since the New Yorker only keeps their articles for a week.

www.newyorker.com/critics/books/articles/050801crbo_books1
Lakritz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an enlightening article! Thanks, Sarape!

my preferences:
coffee, black, no sugar
tea, milk, no sugar

coffee has to be proper filter coffee, definitely no instant; prefer filter method to any other
tea - if brewed properly, obviously better, but will drink 'tea bag version' (the norm these days!)

There are situations when only coffee will do, and then there are others, when simply the words, 'I'll put the kettle on', or '... a nice cup of tea', let alone the hot beverage itself, spread comfort...

Having said that, I actually drink mostly peppermint tea, these days...
carsondyle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like just about any kind of strong coffee - espresso (but never straight - at least macchiato), french-pressed, brewed. I have an espresso machine at home because most espresso served around here is made with beans that are too dark.

I usually only drink loose-leaf teas. Earl Grey is my favorite.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: