Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Paris Hotels - Advice please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samantha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Paris Hotels - Advice please Reply with quote

Hi all,

My husband and I going to be visiting Paris for an overnight stay in December (week in London, taking a little side trip to Paris). I was wondering if anyone could recommend a nice hotel. A friend has suggested Hotel Abbatial. Any other favorites? Let's say around 100-150 euros.

We've never been to Paris before, and I know we'd like to do some food shopping, a little sightseeing, and of course some eating. So any suggestions would be welcomed.

And I'd be more than happy to bring over some provisions from the US for anyone... let me know and we can meet up!

Thanks in advance!

Samantha
David

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Samantha! There is a very pleasant small 3 star hotel in the Montparnasse district,one of my favourite Paris haunts (lots of little streets with little restaurants) The Hotel Royal Montparnasse is located at 212 boulevard Raspail, 75014 Paris. Check it out on the net, it may just work for you. On our last trip (October) we splurged and stayed at the fabulous Hotel Luxembourg Parc, 42 rue de Vaugirard, 75006 Paris. Right across the street from the Senate and the wonderful Luxembourg Gardens and very close to Gertrude Stein and Alice B's place, on rue de Fleurus. They may have an off season special going so it might be fun to check it out too!

After half a dozen trips to Paris we finally found the absolute best place from which to view the city. Oddly it is the hallway on the 6th floor of the George Pompidou Centre (the only building in Paris I do not like) The views are outstanding, not a major monument you cannot see clearly, much better than from the Eiffel Tower as it is more centrally located.

Have a wonderful time in London and enjoy your little side trip.
Samantha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much David! The Hotel Luxembourg Parc does look fabulous, but alas they have no specials at the moment. One night would be 230 euros, a splurge that will have to wait for another day. The Hotel Royal Montparnasse also looks lovely.

Another friend recommended the Hotel Abbatial in St. Germaine, and I was able to book a room with a balcony and a view of Notre Dame. So we'll try that hotel out. I have a feeling we're going to love Paris, and may end up visiting again next spring.

So now I'm starting to put together a list of places to shop and eat. And brushing up on my French as well. Very Happy
David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, a balcony and a view and what a good location. I'm going to make note of this one for our next trip! So the best tip came from you.

I cannot imagine anyone not loving Paris. I would love to see her in springtime but alas our holidays are somewhat restricted to autumn. I was talking to a few fellows yesterday who annually rent an apartment in Paris for the full month of January, they claim it is a great time to visit and much milder than the January we get to experience by staying home!
Samantha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be sure to let you know what the hotel is like, they've been nice so far and that's always a good sign.

Mmm, renting an apartment for a month. How nice! It's true, the weather there is very mild for the most part. I think I looked and it's mid-50's (F) at the moment. Not bad at all. London's the same.

I agree, I'd love to see it in the spring. Ah, I wish it was spring already and we haven't even had any snow yet!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tip on the hotel David! We were planning on staying in La Quartier Latin, but then we realized it was very touristy.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Erin! Which hotel in particular? Yeah, the Latin Quarter is pretty touristy and a bit noisy at night, but it is fun to wander in and some of the restaurant window displays are delightful. And in truth I don't mind a place being touristy as long as I'm not being solicited on the street by restaurant thugs as happens there.
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

We were going to stay at L'Hotel Grande Ecole.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, we seem to lead oddly parallel lives! On our first two trips we tried to get rooms at L'Hotel Grande Ecole as it came highly recommended for location, price and ambience. Never did succeed however and then forgot about it as there was quite a lag between trips 2 and 3. Do spill the beans when you get back!
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a deal!

"It's hot ham water."
Mangosteen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Hotel Paris Reply with quote

Paris Hotel Information

The Hotel Saint Paul in the 6th arrondisement is cute, and has a great location and typical french style. Here is a link:

http://www.webscapades.com/france/paris/hotels/saint-paul.htm
Adele

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've stayed in several different hotels on our trips to Paris and would highly recommend these two (both ***): Hotel Relais du Louvre, which is right behind La Samaritaine and across the street from the Louvre. Great location, small, friendly and charming and Hotel de Varenne, in the 7th on rue Bourgogne, very close to Musee Rodin. Also a great location, very nice rooms, extremely warm and friendly and they often have good specials.
SWISS_CHEF

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm a bit late for your trip but we stay at the Hotel Neuilly Park in Neuilly and the weekend rate is from 70 euros for a double with breakfast. The rooms are small but clean and very stylish and the metro is only a couple blocks away. The Neuilly Marché is one of the best in Paris.

http://www.hotelneuillypark.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: