Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Tell us about where you live
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarape

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Tell us about where you live Reply with quote

Since we are such a diverse group living in such interesting places, I thought it would be a good idea to have a topic where we could describe the good and bad aspects of our current places of residence. I'll start.

Anniston Alabama, USA

Good things: low cost of living, nice weather (though humid in the summer), fresh air, open spaces (a five minute drive from the center of town and you're in farm lands and woods), small mountains.

Bad things: no arts, no interesting architecture, depressed economy, no airport, conservative policits, not a very good feeling of home-town America, no restaurants of quality, NASCAR, Bible Belt.
Pockymonkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarape, what a nice topic idea!

Here's where I hang my hat at present. I'm a graduate student, so I've been a bit of a nomad recently. In fact, I just came back from two years of overseas living - one in Belfast, and one in Cape Town. I adored both, but Cape Town wins hands down for culinary treats (oh, the seafood and the wine!) -- but that's a different topic.

Binghamton is a little city near the New York/Pennsylvania border. It's about 200-250 miles away from NYC. IBM got started near here, and it still has some of its production/office facilities in the area.

Good things: low cost of living, gorgeous natural setting - the Finger Lakes region is to the north and west, the Catskills are to the east, and the Poconos are to the south - green hills all around with lots of opportunities for hiking, canoeing, etc. The fall colors around here are great. Also good: Ithaca, the home of Cornell University and all around fantastic little town, is one hour away, along with its very progressive politics (their police chief is from the Green Party - gotta love it!), superb restaurants, and vegetarian-friendly ways. The famous Moosewood restaurant is located there, along with some of the best Thai places I have ever eaten at, including restaurants in Chicago, NYC, and Washington, DC. Binghamton is a little less distinguished as a culinary town, but it does have a good whole foods restaurant, and some decent Thai/Vietnamese/sushi places - but alas, the only Indian place in town make bland, non-spicy food.

The people are friendly, there's very little traffic, and I can access one of the best supermarkets in the US - Wegmans (seriously, it has a cult following among a lot of people who do/have lived here).

Bad things: well, if I could pick up this area and move it closer to NYC, I would. We have lots of little performing arts centers dotted around central NY, so we get some great music and dance, but more is better. The economy is sluggish. And though I grew up in a cold place, I still don't love the winters - I should learn to ski. I hear it makes all the difference.
Sarape

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has to play for this to be any fun. So please join in the game. Smile

I spent a long weekend in Ithaca at Cornell back in 1990. Nice little college town. I met George McGovern in line waiting to get on a little 20 seater airplane. We sat next to each other during the flight. I happened to be carrying and reading an issue of The New Republic, and I think he liked that and so he opened up. He had been at Cornell teaching a once-a-week course or something.
Divina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Ciao! Reply with quote

Ciao from Florence.. I have been living here ( from California) since 84,
teach cooking, have a dining guide online and also blog... very new at it!

Love following Clothides success!
Auguri!!!
Bon Chance!

My grandfather was from Soisson and my Grandmother from Russia.. My mom was raised in Shanghai where they had met and married... and mu mom married a nice guy from San Francisco... just another normal american family!

Good things about living in FLorence.. art, food, centrally located in Italy for travelling, airport nearb, Food, wine, stimulating and exciting daily, fabulous central market.

Bad things, expensive being a tourist spot, trying to go downtown can be like living in Disneyland. too far from the beach! Gas $5 a gallon!

Last edited by Divina on Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
MileHigh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an adult I've lived in the Washington DC area (mostly Northern Virginia) and have now lived in the Denver area for more than 30 years. I'm retiring this year so will be leaving this area in the next year or so.
However, I do love it here and here is why: blue skies, dry air, moderate temperatures for the most part although this summer has been hot, cool summer nights, good views, Rocky Mountains close by, many cultural activities, good schools, great libraries, miles and miles of bike trails, good restaurants and good grocery stores.

What I don't like: the traffic and high cost of living (too high for my retirement, anyway)
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MileHigh, I have many good memories of the Denver area. Every Christmas and at least 2 weeks in summer til I was in my 20's, I visited family who lived there. I love it almost as much as Dallas.

Although I currently live in a small town a bit outside Dallas, the big city is where I feel at home.

Good: wonderful book, music & yarn stores -- shopping in general. Plenty of good restaurants, ethnic food especially -- not limited to Mexican. Central Market for grocery shopping, as well as ethnic groceries. Theater, concerts, professional sports, museums and galleries. One of the best classical music radio stations in the country (WRR). Mild winters & a long growing season for gardening. Friendly people, but enough of them for you to disappear into the crowd as much as you wish to.

Bad: highest crime rate of any major metropolitan area in the US, polluted air, too much traffic combined with inadequate public transportation. Too hot in summer.

But I'm willing to put up with the bad parts because the good outweighs them. Last week after late-night book shopping, I was speeding along on the freeway with radio up & window down. Looking out at the twinkling skyscrapers that are so familiar to me, I realized I was totally happy & didn't want to be anywhere else.
MileHigh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brighidsdaughter, my best and longest-time friend from Washington DC just moved to Plano to be near her daughter - she is loving it but she too complains of the hot summer days!! I told her the winter will be wonderful.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed Sarape..delightful idea...got me thinking...

pros: immediately came to mind ~ friends, the bridge to bridge loop walk along the Nepean River (especially on a Winter's morn when it seems to be The Beginning of Time!), close to the mountains...oh THAT blue!

cons: oh to be a wee bit closer to the coast...the ocean feeds my soul in a particular way! and oh to be a wee bit closer to Leichhardt where I catch up with foreign films....
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foreign films, hey, Madame? What have you seen recently, and what would you like to see?

We have been searching for 'Decline of the American Empire' the first part of the excellent 'The Barbarian Invasions" on DVD but haven't had any luck so far. Have you seen either? How about 'The Sea Inside', or 'Downfall'?

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: foreign films... Reply with quote

"The Sea Inside"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Judy, I saw it at the Glenbrook Theatre just this week...10.15am session...maybe 10 in the theatre.

As for the film..golly, how many stars? 'n to think the actor was 35, playing a 55 year old. The scene where he flies...takes flight...

How I'd love to see it with a group of c'nzers!

"Downfall"..yep saw that too...whenever I see the word now I seem to go straight to the memory I have of a clip of a press conference where the director and the main actor were being interviewed. Both spoke of the challenges of making the film.. Bruno Ganz if I recall made some mention of the difficulty of taking on the role and deciding to not take his heart to the process...even though I found he was magnificent in the role of Adolph Hitler, I think perhaps we learn more if we travel at all times with our hearts ~ as difficult as that might seem at the time. Corrina Harfouch as Magda Goebbels was breathtaking...

While watching the film there were times I would catch myself as though I was watching a documentary!...then I'd stop for a nanosecond and remind myself I was watching extraordinary acting.

saw the Invasions a while back...again much on which to reflect...

hope to see "Me and My Sister" this week ~ there's something intoxicating about films set in Paris methinks! I AMMMMMMMMMMMM looking forward to Chocolate and Zucchini the film Wink
Judy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame, did you see the front cover of The Oz today? An article about Traudl Yunge living here for some years after WW2.

Also, have you read the trivia for Downfall on IMDB? Well worth a read - tells how Bruno Ganz prepared for the role. Do you remember him in 'The Last Days of Chez Nous' - fine Oz film, and 'Bread and Tulips'?

madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, the memory of watching "Bread and Tulips" for the first time...moi melted Smile

I'd imagined how Ganz had prepared for the role...any role really...that we sneeze, blink, hobble, or whatever....the everyday stuff we do regardless of the other stuff we do....

Judy I hadn't seen the Oz...have been oddly housebound today! Read the article online...I can recall seeing her interviewed and being reminded that the big name folk...have folk around them...dentists, neighbours of one kind or another, acquaintances....

and to think from a distance far this home we've named earth looks to be smaller than a pinhead...amazing this life business..
Barbara

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kia ora from New Zealand.

I love that I live a 7 minute (off peak hour) drive from the centre of Auckland. From my home I can walk to Lake Pupuke in 5 minutes, shopping mall,movie theatre, concerts, restaurants, bars, caf├ęs in 8 minutes and be at Takapuna Beach in 10 minutes. As a motor boat free zone, Lake Pupuke is my favourite spot to spend a quiet early morning hour, paddling around getting a little exercise and peeking into people's gardens.

The cons - I can't walk into Auckland city because I'm on the North Shore and there is no pedestrian access over the bridge. You aren't even allowed to ride a bike over. How silly is that?
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outwit them Barbara...ride the bike UNDER the bridge...they'll never know! given that you're as clever as all getout I bet you'd be able to do it...do let us know how you go Wink
Judy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day from Adelaide, Down Under

Great things about Adelaide:

Food, wine, weather, people, takes 10 minutes to get almost anywhere, including both the sea AND the hills (Madame, when are you coming to visit??).

Downside of living in Adelaide:

Ummm, err, hmmmm...... nothing that I can think of. I love living here!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: