Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Atkins Diet is Over: bankruptcy filled today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Atkins Diet is Over: bankruptcy filled today Reply with quote

Just heard now on NPR that the original Atkins company just filled for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. They explained that the Atkins Diet reached a peak in 2003. The phenomenon at its peak bankrupted several pasta makers.

I always thought this Atkins stuff was a hoax and about the opposite to what's good for health. Hence, this is sort of a happy day for me.

The company which once employed 300 people now has only 100 people on board.
VictoriaLH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I just heard that story as well. There are several people here who tried it and the food looked so unhealthy, really it could not be good for you! As one nutritionist I know said of Atkins, you could also lose weight eating nothing but potato chips and diet Pepsi, but it would eventually kill you! Its the same with Atkins. Almost everyone here who tried it lost weight, but gained the weight back PLUS more!
rebecca

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should wake Americans up to the common sense idea that diets don't work--only eating right, eating sensible portions, and being active every day will maintain a healthy weight. But that's hard work for a lot of people. It's time everyone accepts there's no magic way to lose weight.
Bekbeka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew it had to be bad when my husband - who has an iron stomach, can eat anything and just loves cheese, bacon, and eggs - tried it but only lasted until 5pm, before quitting and joining me for a normal dinner. He said he just felt disgusting.
The whole low-carb thing is still meant to be quite big in some parts of the States isn't it? I heard a story about bread being a greater social sin than cocaine in Hollywood - or is this just one of those myths?
Sarape

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, part of the Atkins "myth" was to avoid bread.

Of course, skip the bread and rolls when you eat and don't eat the bun you're going to eat fewer calories all other things being equal. That was one of the most obvious of the Atkins claims.
melinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess i'm the contrarian of the group....the diet always works for me and i have kept off the 15 i lost originally.....still don't overload on carbs....i think different bodies respond to different eating methods....i hate the packaged atkins stuff & it was ridiculously expensive so am not shocked that the company didn't make it......
Pixielou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so happy to see the Atkins diet go down hill. I knew it was only a matter of time before the Atkins backlash would start. It is such an unhealthy diet and people abused it. Using it as an excuse to eat slabs of meat and blocks of cheese and no vegetables. I'm tired of being made to feel guilty for eating carbs! I love carbs and I don't care who knows it!! Smile
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I wish no one ill will if I heard another Atkins approved commercial I was going to scream!
Working in the coffee industry for so long I would have people come in DAILY and order 20oz lattes made with whipping cream! But it was alright because they asked for sugar free flavoring.......AAAAAAHHhhh! I wanted to leap over the bar on a daily basis and scream DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR ARTERIES ARE GOING THROUGH!!!! I know there are ways of going about it that aren't so bad, but generally they stay away from lattes.

"It's hot ham water."
Pockymonkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, your post reminded me of the time my family was out to eat at a neighborhood restaurant. My dad (who's a family doctor), saw one of his patients at the salad bar getting a huge salad. This pleased my dad, because he had recently told the patient to lose about 50 lbs. for his health. But then, when the patient walked by our table, we saw that his "salad" consisted of 1-2 pieces of lettuce, a sad little tomato or two, and heaps of shredded cheese, bacon bits, croutons, and a few ladles of creamy dressing smothering it all. When queried, the patient defended his creation by saying that everything came from the salad bar, so he thought it would be okay!
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Pockymonkey! I went to SUNY Binghamton. Can you still get spiedies in Binghamton? It's my fondest memory of the area! I bet it's a big town now.

PS Add to your minus column concerning Binghamton the relative number of sunny days. Once while I was there we had 54 consecutive days when no one saw the sun. Not a solitary minute of it! You could watch people's attitude deteriorate! No one stood upright when they walked anymore. On the day when it reappeared NO ONE went to class — and that probably included the faculty but, of course, no one was there to know for sure. But I'll remember that day for the rest of my life as the most giddy, epervescent day I've ever had. Sometimes you gotta get low to realize how high "high" is.
Pockymonkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey,

they do indeed still have spiedies in Binghamton - in fact, this weekend is the annual Spiedie Fest. I think some of the local places that make their own spiedie sauce (Lupo's and Salamida's are two that come to mind) ship it if you're craving some.

Those sunless winter days in Binghamton really are awful, aren't they? They slipped my mind - I spent last fall and winter in South Africa (where sunless days are not an issue) and it's blazingly hot and sunny here now, so I totally forgot that for about 5-6 months each year, the sky ranges from milk white to dark gray in color!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bekbeka ~ bread a social sin?....couldn't care!..give me bread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: new word.. Reply with quote

spiedies? a new word for me...ah, the wonders of google Very Happy

http://www.geography.ccsu.edu/harmonj/atlas/spiedie.htm

"I am never gonna leave broome county becauses i can't get fresh speedies anywhere eles " (Williams 1998)

don't ya just love passion!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marinated lamb sandwiches (apologies for the simplification to devotees) - that's MY kind of sandwich!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: new word.. Reply with quote

madameshawshank wrote:
"I am never gonna leave broome county becauses i can't get fresh speedies anywhere eles " (Williams 1998)

I had to laugh at the quote and site you, remarkably, found! Spiedies are absolutely delicious but, true to the maxim, I've never seen or heard of them outside of Binghamton.

When I left, I tried to do them for myself, but I could never get the flavor and texture which made 'em special: moist and flavorful charred grilled meat served with a soft yummy white bread to wrap around the skewer that was then withdrawn. Simple perfection!

We, typically, had them with pitchers of beer and platters of raw clams. Can't remember the name of the bar. One simply ran down the dorm corridor yelling "spiedies" and a car filled up instantly and found its way to the right spot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: