Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Licorice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Licorice Reply with quote

We tried mango licorice last night and I liked it much better than the regular aniseed variety. In the same range is green apple and strawberry flavoured. Has anyone tried any other flavours?

A quick glance at results from googling 'Licorice Extract' has dug up the medicinal benefits - treatment for gastric ulcers, antiviral, beneficial to the liver.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
cybele

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up some root beer flavored vines at a farm stand in California a while back. They were okay, not flavorful enough for me.

I prefer the black variety - I just got some Haribo wheels a few weeks ago, they've got a good molasses tang to them and they were good and fresh.

I've tried the Australian Panda variety and it was a bit too salty for my tastes. But I'll pretty much eat anything licorice - I just had some good and plenty after lunch today and I always have some licorice altoids in my car.

Back when you could still get them, I preferred Switzers to Twizzlers.
jenjen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Bassetts licorice from the UK. They also make great licorice allsorts!

When I lived in Hong Kong many years ago I realised that I had a licorice addiction. The only place I could buy it was at Watson's the Chemist in Central Hong Kong. I remember the looks on some young Chinese faces when they tried it : Rolling Eyes They couldn't believe that I could eat it, let alone crave it!

I have also eaten drops that come from the organic licorice root - they don't have any sugar- so not sweet at all but a strong licorice taste.

Naturally I love licorice icecream....

Wish I had some now
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see that link in the "White Chocolate" thread that has recipes including licorice ice cream?
jenjen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure did Rainey! The one I make is made from cream, pernod, lemon and very good quality soft licorice.....
Lakritz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jenjen:Yes, I love Bassets, too.

Barbara:I love the salt licorice from Holland, and the one they sell at Ikea. And just thinking about it, I feel a craving for Katzenpfoetchen from Haribo ('cats' little paws': small, round very soft licorice) coming on...

Thanks for the licorice link in the white chocolate thread, RaineyI've never tasted licorice ice cream but certainly will have to give it a go when we're back from our holidays.
I have a licorice flavoured (and coloured) liqueur called 'Dirty Harry', which would probably make a nice sauce... And no sharing with my husband - he hates anything with an aniseed taste to it.

In the link they mentioned under licorice related alcohol Jaegermeister -- could well be that there is aniseed/anise/fennel involved but the overwhelming taste is something else, it's one of those medicinal herby drinks, I think it falls into the category of what we call 'Magenbitter' (lit.:stomach bitter), to be drunk after a very rich meal to settle your tummy.

They also mention absinthe - which I've just happened to buy in Prague. But while I like the taste to start with, by the time you swallow it your tongue has been attacked by a sort of really foul antiseptic and almost numbing element. Absolutely foul. But apparently it can also be used in ice cream making.
Lakritz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot: cybele I LOVE your avatar! My kids adore Gummibaerchen!!! (Goldbaeren from Haribo, of course!)
jenjen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lakritz - yes... I forgot Dutch licorice - isn't it wonderful. There is one dutch licorice with a brown soft fondent inside- I buy it sometimes at the supermarket and make a pig of myself.....

Re absynth - hum - It used to be illegal in Australia, but the old Swiss Club used to smuggle in a bottle or two in a mixed dozen of european liquors.... This fire water is the only liquor that made me experience euphoria and acute depression in very quick succession.... sort of like going down an emotional lift ...... great beginnings but oh dear - depth of dispair some time later.... I believe it is on sale in Australia now, but without the dreaded wormwood......

Pernod is wonderful in icecream - I just realised that I forgot to mention the glucose in my earlier list of ingredients....
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes jenjen, our local bottle shop sells at least 3 different brands of Absinthe, but I haven't tried it.

I had a huge wormwood bush growing in my garden - couldn't stand the smell of it when I pruned it, so I don't think the Absinthe of old would have been one of my favourite drinks.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Lakritz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a last one before I really, really have to do some packing.

Yes, I had read it was illegal, so of course, I HAD to buy it, didn't I?? On coming home, my 16 year old said you can buy it here..., ah well..., it's in a nice bottle
cybele

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lakritz for the praise of the avatar ... I had a fun photo shoot with my gummi bears using a lightbox a few weeks ago.

I forgot all about liquers! I like ouzo and pastis ... but few other people I know do, so it's taking me a long time to drink the two bottles I got as gifts a couple of years ago. I should defnitely start using it in sauces.

I'll keep an eye out for that licorice at Ikea. And anything Dutch while I'm at it.

This board is wonderful, I find so much new stuff here! Life's too short to try them all, but that won't stop me from trying.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love licorice especially the Panda brand, I think that's the name. The box is green and has a panda. They have a few different kinds but the one I like is all natural and not loaded with preservatives and other junk.

Ouzo, (sigh). A friend's mother used to bring it back from her trips home to Greece. When I was in high school we got caught sneaking some, I have never been so scared in my life.

"It's hot ham water."
swan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dutch licorice - isn't it wonderful. There is one dutch licorice with a brown soft fondent inside-

it has a great name too, that one (the only licorice I like): "heksehyl", which means something like 'licorice whitches', or 'whitches sticks'.

they are actually Danish, I think.

here 's some googeling:

'Heksehyl Gevulde Salmiak Staafjes (Filled Salmiak Sticks) -"Licorice witches", a very popular Danish licorice is a tube-shaped licorice with a lightly sugared outside. The inside of the tube is filled with a salty salmiak creme.'
Feste

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had salt licorice for the first time. I loved it initially, but then, halfway through my chew, I was overwhelmed by the sense of ammonia. I did a bit of research and found out that salt licorice is made with ammonium chloride. Now why in the world would someone want to ruin a tasty sweet with ammonia?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: