Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Tapenade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Tapenade Reply with quote

Lakritz asked me about a month ago for the Tapenade recipe I use, sorry for being so tardy!!

Tapenade

1 litre Kalamata olives
4-6 cloves garlic
6-10 anchovies
1 Tbsp capers (rinced)
juice of 1/2 lemon, or more if the lemon isn't too juicy
1 Tbsp Herbes de Provence
1/3-1-2 cup olive oil

Remove the pits from the olives. I just take a big jar and smash the little buggers with the base of the jar and take out the pit. Has anyone tried using a cherry pipper to pit olives?? Toss into blender.

Smash, peel and chop fresh garlic and add to blender.

Rince and chop anchovies and add to blender.

Rince and add capers. (I'm not a big fan of capers so use only 1 Tbsp, many recipes call for up to 3 Tbsp.. As with everything in this recipe quantities are somewhat arbitrary and up to individual taste, I'm sure I never quite make the same one twice.)

Add lemon juice.

Add Herbes de Provence (or any other Mediterranean type herb you happen to fancy, thyme or oregano perhaps?)

Some recipes call for dashes of Dijon, or cayenne or an addition of sun-dried tomatoes. Play with it, it's great fun.

Blend on high until nicely mixed.

Turn to lower speed and pour in the olive oil slowly until you reach the desired consistency.

Love this stuff, great as a base to appetizers, an additive to stews or in lieu of mayo on a tomato sandwich!!
Leo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tapenade is quite yum. We eat alot of toast ('crostini' when we feel posh) as students so always looking for ways to dress it up. My flatmate liked it too and she is a fusspot.
I had a cat audience when I was smashing the olives.. six very BIG eyes.
I have used a cherry pipper.. once. I find the mallet smashing technique much more satisfying.
thanks for sharing Smile
swan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could make really nice appetizers by spreading some tapenade onto puff pastry (ready bought, but good quality please!), roll the pastry, (sprinkle with a little extra flaked salt if you like salty) cut into slices, put them flat on a baking tray and bake for about 20 mins at 200 celcius.

I got these from my swapping partner as a home made treat and even after travelling for quite a while they were perfect again after a few minutes reheating in a hot oven! Last week I baked my own and now I'm taking orders for christmas Smile
Dawna

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, your tapenade recipe sounds fantastic - I'll have to try it for New Year's. I use a variety of methods to remove olive pits - I use a cherry pitter when I want perfect rounds for pizza, but if I'm just chopping a few I just squish them with the flat of my knife-blade and pop the pit out. For large quantities, I place them on my cutting board, cover them with another, smaller wooden cutting board (or my marble pastry board) and give it a good thumping with my fist. Works really well!

A couple of years ago I came up with a unique snack using tapenade. I spread a very thin layer of tapenade over a warm flour tortilla, then added a very thin layer of hummus. Rolled it up nice and tight, and refrigerated until the tortilla "set" in the shape, then sliced the roll into cocktail-sized bites. Salty and delicious!

I'll have to try your tomato sandwich idea - that sounds outstanding.
David

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo! So glad you enjoyed the recipe--it is fun to make isn't it--there is just something so primal about smashing food to create something even better.

Dawna--next time I'm going to try your two board method of olive smashing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

Some ideas:
I've used tapenade last week to prepare some very yummy beefsteaks: I spread some on one side of each steak, and grilled the steaks in a frying pan with a bit of olive oil, starting from the side that wasn't covered with tapenade. I served them with some little potatoes that had been boiled unpeeled, cut into two, sprinkled generously with herbs, salt and olive oil and set to wait and roast a bit in the oven until the steaks were served.

I also use tapenade to make a quick dish of spaghetti for a very simple dinner.

I have found a tapenade recipe on the net which calls for dry figs, but haven't tried it yet.

V.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: